All around rifle for 1rst trip to South Africa..

Discussion in 'Up To .375' started by longbowofMT, Oct 15, 2012.

1. enysse

enysse AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Member of:
    Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
    Well you won't be undergunned with a 7mm Rem Mag. It's my favorite gun caliber...not too light and not too strong, with good bullets, it's all the gun anyone needs.

2. nieluyssafaris

nieluyssafaris AH Senior Member

My Photos:
    Member of:
    ABO (African Bow Hunting Organization)(Bow Hunting Instructor for ABO)
    Hunted:
    South Africa and Mozambique
    Hi longbowofMT,

what about taking your longbow instead of a rifle? I would get myself a .375H&H if I were you. The .375H&H has proven itself in Africa.

3. lwaters

lwaters BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Enthusiast

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    Texas,Namibia,Kansas, Missouri, Wyoming, Colorado, Idaho, South Africa
    The world is full of good plains game rifles. I think it is more important to use good preimum bullets. On my safari I never shot anything smaller than springbuck. I used 180 grain nosler partitions in a 300 RCM and they did'nt tear the springbuck up to much. I was wondering if the barnes tsx bullets would be better for steenbuck? Anyone use them on the little stuff?

4. Bobpuckett

Bobpuckett GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NAHC Life Member, NRA Life Member,SCI, Buckmasters
    Hunted:
    USA(from Coast to Coast and Alaska), Germany, South Africa, Canada
    I haven't yet but I let you know as soon as I get back in June as the 180gr TSX in a 300 Win Mag is what I plan on using on my next safari.

5. DOC-404

DOC-404 AH Elite

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Namibia, Angola, Botswana, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Mozambique and Poachers.
    I can't answer your question on the tsx bullets, but I can tell you that I have used (and will only use) 286gr factory SOLIDS from my .375 on the small buck. They work like a charm, straight through with no damage at all, looks like they were stabbed with a spike. I am, obviously, always careful of what is behind the animal before I shoot.

6. jeffpg

jeffpg AH Enthusiast

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    Botswana, South Africa, USA

Great advice, Tom.

That worked perfectly for me, and although I have a bunch of those "pet" rifles that I'd love to have with me, it just makes life much easier while on Safari to use what the PH has.

I'll choose that option every time.

7. spike.t

spike.t GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    sci int, basc
    Hunted:
    zambia, tanzania, zimbabwe, hungary, france, england
    for certain circumstances maybe, but that philosophy makes it a bit pointless having rifles for african/overseas hunting. if you have all your paperwork/visitors permits in place then there isnt usually any problems. part of the overall fun/enjoyment i think for myself and most people is using a rifle that is a favourite or a new one bought and learned about for the hunt. unless i couldnt due to powers that be/circumstances beyond my control i would always take and use my own rifles. to me it would be like i was missing something and it would reduce my over all enjoyment , it would be like arriving at an airport and renting a hire car..... it does the job but.................longbow as for the rifle just go and get a 30-06 or 7mm rem mag they will work perfectly , and i wish people would stop worrying so much about what cal rifle to take on their first plains game hunt, as has been said most likely what you use for your deer hunting in the usa, 30-06,.270, .308 etc etc will be fine on plains game, and you know how it shoots. so just go and enjoy yourself :)

8. Buff-Buster

Buff-Buster GOLD SUPPORTER AH Elite

My Photos:
    Member of:
    Houston Safari Club, Gulf Coast SCI, SCI International. Rowland Ward, NRA, RMEF, Nort American Hunting Club - Life Member, Texas Trophy Hunters
    Hunted:
    Mozambique, South Africa, (Kwa-Zulu Natal & East Cape), Zimbabwe (Charisa & West Nicholson), U.S.(Texas, New Mexico, LA, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Wyoming & Montana), Canada (Alberta) & Argentina (Cordoba)
    +1 Spot on Spike!

9. timbear

timbear AH Enthusiast

Member of:
    SSAA, NZDA
    Hunted:
    Germany, NZ, Australia
    Okay, I get the reluctance to take the "Old Girl" overseas, but on the other hand - what an opportunity to add to the legends around the family heirloom! And you are obviously comfortable with her. Since bullet placement is paramount, a rifle that is like an extension of yourself is invaluable. Let me put it another way: If the "Old Girl" could talk, she would be screaming: "Take me, take me!"

10. 35bore

35bore AH Elite

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NRA,Missouri hunters ed, SCI, Owensville Gun Club, Quail Forever
    Hunted:
    USA, South Africa, France
    Been following this thread a while, thought that it was turning into a "what's your favorite caliber thread". timbear you brought up a great point, I also think if that gun could talk, it would be screaming..... Just like 80% of the member on this site...... "Take me, Take me"..:eyebrow::happywave::happywave:

Good luck on your hunt, and I would take "the Old Girl"... Or buy a new 35Whelen...:p

11. 505ED

505ED AH Veteran

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI,DSC,NRA,DRSS
    Hunted:
    North America, South America, South Africa
    I have to go along with the 30-06. I took one of my Blaser R8's in 2011 with a match barrel in plain ol 30-06. I fell back in love with the round. 3 one shot kills---it was like a magic wand--point in its direction and it fell. I used 180 grain barnes x bullets.

Here is a bull wildebeest I tip over with it!

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

12. Charles Viljoen

Charles Viljoen New Member

That's about it - a good premium grade bullet , like a monolithic BarnesX,Nosler E tip, etc. together with good shot placement is more important than the caliber size- up to a certain point.
    A 3006 , the most popular hunting caliber in SA , is good up to an Eland and a very heavy Kudu .

As lead core , unbonded bullet , on an Impala and Springbok , can cause excessive meat damage.

A 3006 loaded with a 220 gr premium bullet in the hand of an experienced hunter can drop a Buffalo with one shot .