Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA, RMEF
Hunted
US (Utah, Arizona, Idaho, Colorado, Nevada. Canada (British Colombia), South Africa (Eastern Cape)
I am about to purchase my air fair from Denver, Colorado to Port Elizabeth SA for my hunt coming up in May. From the looks of it the easiest would be to book though South African Airlines all the way from start to finish. One of my hunting partners was thinking about flying Delta out of Denver to Amsterdam and then to Johannesburg and then to Port Elizabeth, but it look like doing it that way he would have to deal with a couple different airlines on his own.

I know that there are those on here that have flown close to the same route so what would you recommend?
And how is South African Airlines on the long hop from the States to Africa?

Thanks.

I haven't flown SAA from the U.S. to RSA. But I flew on Lufthansa to Germany where I then connected to SAA to Jo'burg. I had no problem with SAA and in fact I thought the experience was a bit nicer on SAA than Lufthansa.

The one upside to to flying SAA from JFK to Tambo is you'll arrive in the morning and I should think be able to make your next connection that day. The one downside is going through JFK with rifles involves a bit of getting to know the fine folks from the Port Authority. I've not experienced that, but have heard it is not a big deal provided you allow for the time it takes there.

Make sure you follow the rules and let the airlines know in advance that you have ammo and gun (s).

Have your weapons permits in place prior to leaving if you need them for the route you select....make sure you have a copy with you at all times...

I have done both SAA and Delta from Atlanta to Jo. Delta is nonstop. Not sure if SAA is using different planes now but there used to be a stop in Dakar to refuel and change crew. An experience when I was on a SAA plane for 24 straight hours (Jo to Atlanta) without debarking has prompted me to use Delta ever since. I know this experience was an anomaly but I don't want to deal with it again. As long as prices are close I choose Delta. So far prices are always close.

The fewer the carriers the better. If you can keep from changing carriers it simplifies things. I realize with Delta you would have to change carriers from Jo to PE. If flying SAA you have to change carriers from Denver to Atlanta.

I normally check prices and schedules then let Lori Spears know what I am looking for then let her book. Especially if traveling with firearms. She will know the scoop on traveling with firearms through the European air terminals. I have never needed her but if there is a problem I can't handle it is nice to have her number. She is a member here. No extra cost to you.

http://www.travelexpressagency.com/

Not sure what the firearms situation is going through Amsterdam currently. Maybe others can help.

Welcome to AH.

Have a fantastic hunt!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank, I checked with Lori and she is in the process of checking flights for me.

I was looking at booking through SSA just for the simple reason that they will take me from start to finish even when I have to fly out of Denver on a different airline. It looks like 99% of the flights go through either New York or Washington DC. SSA still have one extra stop for crew or fuel between the States and SA but their delay times don't look too bad. The biggest is around 6 hours in NY and 4 in Johannesburg, just enough time for us to get our firearm permits taken care of and then off to Port Elizabeth. I do believe that I read that our luggage will be checked clear through to Johannesburg on SSA but I can't remember where.
I looked at Delta and they fly through Amsterdam and then to Johannesburg and then I would have to book with SSA to get to Port Elizabeth. Going that way we would have to apply for firearm permits in Amsterdam if I remember right.

Where are those things that they used on Star Trek where they just throw a switch and you end up where you want to be??????

Hey Jim flew from Detroit to Washington DC on United then SAA to Dakar, 8 hour flight, one hour on the ground for fuel and a new crew then 8 hour flight to Joberg. I wasn't sure if I would come back home I was wiped out from being in an aluminum tube for 17 hours, I'm glad I overnighted at Afton house in Joberg for a break. Afton House will pick you up at the airport and help with the guns. Next day SAA to PE off to the lodge for 8 days of hunting. Lori Spears handled everything for me, and she will all my hunts from now on, only next time I will ask her to book Delta to Atlanta to Joberg avoiding all that business in Dakar. I did find SAA to be a very good airline, I was treated very well on all my flights.

Last edited by a moderator:
I looked at Delta and they fly through Amsterdam and then to Johannesburg...

Where are those things that they used on Star Trek where they just throw a switch and you end up where you want to be??????

Delta goes direct from Dulles and Hartsfield to Tambo. You don't have to go through Europe unless you want to. If you want to go through Amsterdam you must be a Van Gogh fan or ;););););):D.

Regarding the Star Trek transporters.......afraid I'm getting to old to ever see it happen. It would be nice though.

As an aside if you are going economy, ask Lori how much economy comfort costs on your flight. It is going up but the 10 extra cm you get is worth it imho.

All the best.

Delta flies from Atlanta to Johanesburg in 15-16 hours.

HI
I have flown from Denver to Johannesburg twice and you can do it all on Delta.
The flight from Atlanta leaves around 7:00 to 8:00 PM each day. you would just have to fly to Atlanta earlier in the day. I checked my Gun and ammo bag in Denver and got it in SA. I didn't have to do anything with it in Atlanta. All I carried with me was my optics, electronics, ETC. The last part of the flight would have to be done in Johannesburg. You get there about 4:00 to 5:00 PM the next day. If you have your gun pre checked you will get it in short time and then make the change to Port Elizabeth SA.

Tom

Tom;
Going that way and those times, do you need to overnight in Joburg and continue to PE the next day or can you connect and get to PE that night yet?

My wife is a flight att and she says the latest flight to there in May leaves 7:55 PM it is South African airlines and there are 7 fights a day to PE

Delta flight 200 out of Atlanta to OR Tambo then a quick hope over to Port Elizabeth. As others have said it is a direct flight to Joberg on a Boeing 777. Great plane and a great ride.

I just looked at Delta again and I swear that they changed their flights. However we are trying to do it on a little bit more of a budget than it looks like Delta sells the seats for.

Lori sent me a email so I'll check out what she has tomorrow and go from there. But you never know what will happen. I just need to get with the rest of the group and see what they want to do.

My wife says the Delta flight 200 in May still leaves at 7:30. Since she is a flight att I didn't have to worry about the cost. Flew business class the first time.:)

I have flown Delta 200 business class twice and give the flight and crew rave reviews. You depart about 7:00 and by the time you get out over the Atlantic dinner is served. Watch a movie or two and you are five hours into flight. Go to sleep wake up and have breakfast and it's almost time to land in Joberg. I'm ready to go again!

:love:All this business class talk...extremely jealous;):cool:

Sky miles and American Express points! I fly every week for work guys so the miles add up over time. If I didn't have those points and miles it would be coach for sure.

You picked the perfect Travel Agent in my opinion,,Lori is the Best,,,be sure you get a big head start on permits if you are flying thru Amsterdam

Have flown SAA 5 times and all have been ok, the only down side to me is a hour stop in Dakar. I went through Heathrow another time and didn't like it at all!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AshleyOyi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg