Airfare? IAD vs ATL

For those who wanted to know I bought my sons ticket in coach for about $1300 then up graded the ATL to JNB and JNB to ATL segments to economy comfort which was I think $169 each way. Then taxes and fees and trip insurance put it at about $1900.

As an alternative: check out emirates.

They fly from other U.S. Locations to Dubai and then on to Jo'burg.

Reasons they seem to rock:

1.) top 5 airline globally
2.) miles can be exchanged for miles on Alaska air that can then be redeemed by lots of US carriers
3.) cheaper flights
4.) business class tickets are the least expensive anywhere, often the price of maybe 150% of coach, not 500%
5.) their flights often work out so you don't have to overnight in Jo'burg
6.) no connections in Dakar where there is a chance of Ebola causing a flight cancellation due to pandemic
for curiosity's sake, I looked at flying from Mississippi and picked September.

Delta-
Jackson, Ms - JNB $1782 per ticket.

Flying Emirates-
Jackson-houston- $290
JFK- KNB $791
total $1081

1. that would save 2 persons $1400 (together) + overnight in JNB ($250) for a total savings of $1650.
2. But, for me, it would mean much longer airport/flying getting from jackson to houston. (Delta jan/jnb= 18 hours) (Emirate= 31 hours)
** So, for me, I think Delta still has my business. If it was 4 people on my dime, though, I might rethink that.

wouldn't it be nice if emirates offered 1 flight a day from a US city to JNB each day?
I'd either get a cheap flight with Emirates or a cheaper (than now) flight with Delta.

Haha....I am hoping Riflepermits.com get me through there so fast I won't have time to count them all! ;)

Rifle checked-through to Port Elizabeth. Rifle permits.com got us through in minutes and walked us through to our next flight.

After having spent the previous 24 hours enroute it was a Huge relief to see a smiling face holding a sign with my name on it!

Anyone who is a first timer or has a tight connection really needs to give Henry a shout!

I flown the 777 atl both extended and BC with Delta to SA as well as SAA out Washington BC , the $$$ you save flying SAA in BC about 5500.00 compared to 1500.00 for Delta coach is pretty good value to me, you are well rested and the service was better on SAA then Delta. Delta went up on the BC seats to over 9,000.00 so Back to SAA in July. The coach seats on SAA are cheaper as well stopping in Dakar is a little bit pain but little desert dust fresh air is not bad when they open the doors But do not turn on your smart phone in Dakar the rates are by the kb as they do not have a international plan with Verizon or ATT guy next to me had text were it cost $750.00 in about 15 mins of data time I got hit for 50.00 just turning phone on got the alert via text and turned it off . :eek:

I paid $2098 round trip from Idaho Falls Id. to Joburg on Delta, it was cheaper than SAA which is what I usually take. I like the non stop as it cuts a hour off the the flight and there is no chance that your luggage can be taken off at Dakar, talked to a passenger that had that happen , took three weeks for them to locate lost luggage. But I'm pretty much a slave to what ever is the best deal! I purchased the ticket the first of Feb. and just checked again and I couldn't find that good of a price now, it's peak season the second week of July, tickets have been cheaper when I went in Sept. or Oct.

That's the one thing I hate about booking last minute is getting ripped off by the airlines. When the person next to you saved $750 to $500. Pure BS, I should get the same discount if not more for filling their empty seat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MUABritney

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross