Air Namibia surcharges for sport, archery and hunting equipment

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by AfricaHunting.com, Nov 3, 2013.

1. AfricaHunting.com

AfricaHunting.com FOUNDER AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Quote from Air Namibia: "Planning on an active break ? No worries! You can bring your sports equipment on your travels with Air Namibia."

Sport or Hunting Weapons
    Surcharges: US$ 100
    Definition: Sporting/Hunting guns, pistols, rifles plus ammunition (according to IATA DGR Regulations and if packed in a separate bag)

Weapons used for sport or hunting must be declared and are then only charged PER separate weapons case.

Packing Firearms and ammunition
    - Firearms and/or ammunition will be accepted provided they are packed in an appropriate carriage case.
    - Firearms and ammunition are not allowed in hold luggage with general personal possessions.
    - All firearms have to be packed separately from the ammunition and must be in a locked firearms case.
    - The ammunition must be separate and in its own locked bag/container of not more then5 kg (10 lbs).

In these instances you will not be charged for the extra bag(s) but will be subject to the appropriate handling fee(s).

Preparing firearms for travel
    - Each firearm carried must be accompanied by the appropriate firearms certificate.
    - The firearm must be unloaded.
    - Ammunition must be packed in either its original packaging or in a suitable container that prevents movement between shells or cartridges, i.e. loose ammunition is not permitted.
    - Bags with ammunition must not bear ç²—xplosives labels.

Archery Equipment:
    Surcharges: US$ 100
    Definition: a set of bow and arrow packed in a durable protective container

Source: Air Namibia Air Namibia | Sports Equipment - Air Namibia
  2. enysse

enysse AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Member of:
    Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
    No worries, we will gladly charge you another $100 and make you pack your ammo seperate, it makes everything more inconvenient...oh, well.
  3. TOM

TOM AH Elite

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI,DSC, QDMA, QU
    Hunted:
    Africa...are there other continents to hunt?
    Bummer. Sounds like the "bow in a bag" might not even get around this.
  4. Cliffy

Cliffy AH Elite

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    Hunted Zim, RSA (2), Namib(2), going again, Calif, Oregon, Arizona, Texas, Virginia, Idaho, South Dakota, Montana, Nevada, MO
    Having spent a lifetime in the airline business I'll say that every airline will be doing this and more. They are going the way of banking in the USA. The banks make their money on fees and charges for every little thing they do "for their customers".
    And the traveling hunter is thought of as well heeled so the cost is insignificant to him in the minds of the airline vs the money spent on safari.
    On the other side of the coin, there is a significant cost factor to special handling of our hunting items as opposed to just dumping all the regular bags on the belt.
  5. BigSteve57

BigSteve57 GOLD SUPPORTER AH Veteran

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI, NRA, Associated Gun Clubs of Baltimore MD,MD State Rifle & Pistol Assn., MD Rifle Club
    Hunted:
    USA, Namibia
    " Firearms and/or ammunition will be accepted provided they are packed in an appropriate carriage case."

I hate language like this. It makes me wonder what "appropriate" means.
  6. BRICKBURN

BRICKBURN SUPER MODERATOR CONTRIBUTOR GOLD BENEFACTOR AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Member of:
    KZN Hunters Assoc
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Canada, USA, Mexico
    I smelled the first whiff of this when I boarded Air Namibia last June and the fellow checking in was having to pay the fees.
    I had hoped it was not so.

Wanting more butts in the seats, you'd think they would not be first in line at the trough!