JamesJ

AH elite
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
HI Guys,

I'm working on putting together a AH group hunt and i was thinking about RSA for a destination. But then i thought maybe we should plan it for somewhere most guys have not been?

2017 Botswana for plains game.

your thoughts?

Hope I could fit this one in ......would love to hunt Africa again and finaly put some faces to names ....
Glen

Only been to Namibia ...so either would be fine ..... only thing on my want list is an Eland with the bow or buffalo or .....
Glen

Very good idea James.
Hunting, guys from AH, Mike and beer in Africa - I'm all for.
Witold

Last edited:
My next trip will be for Gemsbock, Mountain Zebra and Warthog, what ever country has the best i'm interested in,unless there is a hot deal on Buff

Jerome, I'd say wherever you could get the widest variety of game. Lots of guys will already have the basic stuff and might like to branch out a bit.

Have to say I'd like to visit Bots, but am not sure about a country which has essentially closed to hunting.

What about your place?

@Hank2211 remember that private land is still open in bots with some very big places. please dont go down the line we had to put up with in zambia when certain, but not all govnt areas were closed and the problems that caused the rest of us who were private land owners or private open conservancies who were still operating, but due to the confusion caused by this partial closure we all suffered, by people being suspicious about coming to hunt with operators who were still legally running their places..........

@Hank2211 remember that private land is still open in bots with some very big places. please dont go down the line we had to put up with in zambia when certain, but not all govnt areas were closed and the problems that caused the rest of us who were private land owners or private open conservancies who were still operating, but due to the confusion caused by this partial closure we all suffered, by people being suspicious about coming to hunt with operators who were still legally running their places..........
I get that Mike, but I just have to say I don't feel real welcome in those countries which have effectively banned free range hunting.

I regret the impact on private landowners but there's only so much money and so much time. So I'd rather spend it where my money is wanted. It's also another way to signal to governments that actions have consequences.

Hopefully government gets the message. Either way I know it's hard on private landowners but you have to do something.

Just my opinion of course.

James,
I'd be very interested in Bots! Throw out what may be on the ticket! As long as we can get cold beer and proper scotch, I'm willing to hunt!
Cody

In some ways I agree with Hank. But I am the new old man on the block here, so I wouldn't give my opinion near as much weight as most of the others. I will make my first trip to RSA in 2016, so I would go with Zambia or Botswana for 2017 IF once you do all of the math, I will be able to afford it. I will not be trophy hunting per se, but possibly a buffalo cow on this second hunt, and quite likely my son will be with me whom would probably hunt 1 or 2 species. I like the idea of Zambia or Botswana because of the past hunting tradition these countries have. Even though I would not be hunting any cats or elephant, I would like to be able to see them during the hunt without having to go to petting zoo!

As a local guy I am IN... regardless of where you decide to go!!

Haven't been to Botswana yet, so that would be my choice. And I might be interested. Let me know what dates you are thinking.

There's certainly more taxidermy choices hunting in RSA!

That is a GYPSY'S WARNING.

Let's be more direct for our fellow AH members.

There is zero choice for taxidermy or dip and pack in Botswana.
MOCHABA out of Maun is the only game in the country and their price is absolutely ridiculous.

There are multiple reports of big trophies gone missing and the wrong ones are shipped, poorly prepared and poorly finished hides or trophies.

copied from another thread:

The product I received from M&$@£¥a was crap at best. The backskins and rugs they did were piss poor and most of the backskins are starting to fall apart and not fit for ulpolstry and pillows. The dip and pack were OK and my taxidermist here in the states did a good job with them. .................. but could not afford for my trophies to be handled by the only D & P game in town. We won't talk about them "losing" a 24" impala skull and substituting a small piece of crap (personally saw my Conroe Taxidermy tag ty-rapped to the correct skull ..........). ........ After paying to have the rug done in Botswana it was in such bad shape I paid again to have it redone and painted here in the U.S. You would think after losing 70% of their business from the elephant hunting ban they would be in shape to turn out a better product.....go figure. Sure not a fan of the big "M" taxidermy in Botswana.

Another post on the topic:
I decided to comment to my taxidermist in RSA, that I wanted a new cape on the Springbok and he should remount it.

The reply I got was spot on;
He suggested replacing ALL of the Springbok capes for the group and a further Gemsbok cape for one of the group.

Then his question:
"If you are not sentimental about the Cape on the Kudu I would replace it to."
So apparently, he will be getting lots of practice on my mounts..........

If there was ever a destination that requires a trophy photo only hunt, Botswana is it.

What about Namibia it has a friendly government that seems to like hunter dollars, and a diverse landscape that could serve all needs including Buff

Hey guys,

I'm open to either place, I was thinking there are some great deals to be had in RSA. but we have all been there as well as Namibia and i thought Bots would be a neat something different destination.

In bots if we do a 2x1 hunt its $325 per day PP and the TF's are very reasonable. But, the species list is not huge or really varied

Blue Wildebeest $500
Caracal $1,300
Duiker $350
Eland $1,500
Gemsbok / Oryx $1,000
Genet $300
Hartebeest $900
Impala $400
Jackal $150
Kudu $1,200
Ostrich $500
Porcupine $250
Steinbok $300
Springbuck $450
Springhare $250
Warthog $450
Waterbuck $1,600
Wildcat $350
Zebra $1,050

Sounds like a great way to put some faces with names. I'm open to whatever is determined.

Great idea James.(y)

That is a GYPSY'S WARNING.

Let's be more direct for our fellow AH members.

There is zero choice for taxidermy or dip and pack in Botswana.
MOCHABA out of Maun is the only game in the country and their price is absolutely ridiculous.

There are multiple reports of big trophies gone missing and the wrong ones are shipped, poorly prepared and poorly finished hides or trophies.

There have been posts regarding taxidermy in Botswana recently.

Another option on the group hunt in Botswana is to have a lorry / trailer drive the shipment to a taxidermist in RSA. Coordination in meeting a veterinarian at a border post would be the only issue I believe. If others have more / different information on this, please correct me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bkNen

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross