AH Get Together In Dallas During Dallas Safari Club (DSC) Convention 2014

Phil,

What ever everyone wants to do is fine with me.

Thanks for being the point man in putting this together. Your the best.:thumb:

Phil,

What ever everyone wants to do is fine with me.

Thanks for being the point man in putting this together. Your the best.:thumb:

+1 phil Your doing great.

Phil - First off, a big thanks for all the leg work your doing to put this together! Much appreciated by all! I have a feeling a few years from now, we will be looking for a larger place to hold the Annual AH/DSC Dinner (party). Secondly......Thanks to the "donors" that are pitching in to help host this great event. Now for my votes:

Appetizers: Chips and salsa...perfect
Dinner: Buffett is great, the only way to go with a big crowd.
Dessert: I'll go with Shakey on this one! :)

As soon as you get this all worked out let me know and I'll send money!....Who's planning the bash in Vegas?

HartzView Group ( 5 )
Buff Buster ( 2 )
BnC 04 ( 4 )
BWH ( 2 )
Wheels ( 1 )
Cliffy ( 2 )
Paul T ( 2 )
Bobpuckett ( 5 )
Heym88 ( 1 )
Marina Lamprecht ( 1 )
Grant Taylor ( 1 )
TOM ( 1 )
James Jeffery ( 1 )
Jaco Strauss ( 1 )
Steve Scott ( 2 )
huntnfool ( 1 )
Jrshuman ( 2 )
Tommy & Anna Morrison ( 2 )
Shakey ( 1 )

Total Confirmed : 37

Possibles : 2 (K-man, Royal27)

Approaching our current maximum of 40.

Put in two for me. It will be Leonard Waters and Anita Frye. Just got our flight and hotel confirmed today

HartzView Group ( 5 )
Buff Buster ( 2 )
BnC 04 ( 4 )
BWH ( 2 )
Wheels ( 1 )
Cliffy ( 2 )
Paul T ( 2 )
Bobpuckett ( 5 )
Heym88 ( 1 )
Marina Lamprecht ( 1 )
Grant Taylor ( 1 )
TOM ( 1 )
James Jeffery ( 1 )
Jaco Strauss ( 1 )
Steve Scott ( 2 )
huntnfool ( 1 )
Jrshuman ( 2 )
Shakey ( 1 )
lwaters ( 2 )
thi9elsp ( 2 )

Total Confirmed : 41

We are not at one over our maximum. I've talked to the Iron Cactus and we can stretch our room a bit and be able to take 45. I will have to cut it off at that maximum.

Put in two for me. It will be Leonard Waters and Anita Frye. Just got our flight and hotel confirmed today

You're in.

Wow that sucks! Do they not have a larger room if needed? Wes is right with the way our membership is growing and more and more wanting to meet up we are going to have to start looking for a bigger place.

HartzView Group ( 5 )
Buff Buster ( 2 )
BnC 04 ( 4 )
BWH ( 2 )
Wheels ( 1 )
Cliffy ( 2 )
Paul T ( 2 )
Bobpuckett ( 5 )
Heym88 ( 1 )
Marina Lamprecht ( 1 )
Grant Taylor ( 1 )
TOM ( 1 )
James Jeffery ( 1 )
Jaco Strauss ( 1 )
Steve Scott ( 2 )
huntnfool ( 1 )
Jrshuman ( 2 )
Shakey ( 1 )
lwaters ( 2 )
thi9elsp ( 2 )

Total Confirmed : 41

We are not at one over our maximum. I've talked to the Iron Cactus and we can stretch our room a bit and be able to take 45. I will have to cut it off at that maximum.

Bob,

I'm going to give a call to the manager tomorrow as I believe they do have a bigger room. A few gotcha's there may be just how much bigger. If it will hold double, the cost of the room isn't just more, there will be a higher minimum on how much to spend. The other possible problem will be availability. She told me the day I booked the room, that someone had called that day to get it, but because I had it on reserve for another week it was still mine.

Let me check tomorrow, I'll let everyone know.

Thanks Phil! Didn't mean to put you on the spot, I was more thinking of the years to come. Your doing great.

Bob,

I'm going to give a call to the manager tomorrow as I believe they do have a bigger room. A few gotcha's there may be just how much bigger. If it will hold double, the cost of the room isn't just more, there will be a higher minimum on how much to spend. The other possible problem will be availability. She told me the day I booked the room, that someone had called that day to get it, but because I had it on reserve for another week it was still mine.

Let me check tomorrow, I'll let everyone know.

Thanks Phil! Didn't mean to put you on the spot, I was more thinking of the years to come. Your doing great.

No issues Bob. I got a call back from the Iron Cactus today, appararently there was a miscommunication. We have room for up to 55 for the dinner.

The good news is even with the 41 we have now and our sponsors, we will easily be able to meet the minimum amount to spend on food/drink as required by the restaurant.

Do we need a dress rehearsal Thurs. night!!! :draught::beer:

When do we pay for our meal. Just wondering if you needed money for the reservation. Lenny

After helping Phil set up last years get together I know how much work he's putting into this one 2 1/2 times bigger. Thanks PP!!
What did they say in that old movie? "Party on Dude!"
Maybe we need an Um Pah Pah band with "Roll out the barrel" sung by all?
Dress rehearsal? I knew some of you SA blokes wanted a head start :)

After helping Phil set up last years get together I know how much work he's putting into this one 2 1/2 times bigger. Thanks PP!!

Hey Cliffy - If you get the "Um Pah Pah" band maybe we can teach our African brothers the merits of the "Chicken Dance" and the "Cotton-eyed Joe"!!! :dance:

When do we pay for our meal. Just wondering if you needed money for the reservation. Lenny

The only up front me that was necessary was the $300 for the room fee. One of the sponsors has already sent enough money to me to cover that.

So there is no need to pay anything in advance, just be prepared to pay when you get to the dinner. Now having said that, someone is still responsible for paying for dinner. And that someone ultimately would be me as it was my credit card that is on file with the Iron Cactus.

A final headcount is due one week prior to the dinner. So if anyone needs to drop out for whatever reason prior to that date in January, it's not a problem. Once that final count goes in if someone doesn't show that cost will still have to be covered.

Thanks for the support Cliffy and to everyone. A task like this can be made difficult when someone easily gets their noses out of joint, I've seen that happen before and I always feel sorry for the poor bugger who took it on. I've had nothing but support from the AH community, which really doesn't surprise me, you've been great!

A Word About Sponsors

I've now mentioned a few times that we have sponsors for our get together. However as you've probably noticed, I've not mentioned who they are which has been intentional.

The first two sponsors that I talked to, came to me on their own to offer up some money to support our get together. I had no intention nor even thought about trying to drum up sponsor money. I am an engineer for a living, I am not a salesman. In a number of ways I fit the mental image many of you may have of engineers (any mention of pocket protectors however will be met with swift and severe retribution!). Engineers are typically introverted and quite socially awkward, I definitely fit that description. Trust me when I tell you the idea of standing up in front of 40 or so of you at this dinner to speak is terrifying to me just to even think about. As such, approaching someone to essentially ask them for money is just not something I get gung ho about.

That said, we have a number of sponsors of this wonderful website. Some of whom are quite active in the forum making great contributions to the various discussions. And as such, I decided to communicate with a couple of these to see if they would like to contribute also. I did this because they are as I say contributors to the discussions and I would not want them to feel as if they were left out. This led to one more sponsor and I'm waiting to hear back from another.

As it stands now with the sponsorship money that has been put up so far, I can tell you that the cost of the dinner to those attending is being significantly reduced. I don't want to say how much at this point as the numbers aren't final, but suffice to say we should be grateful.

So I'm still not going to advertise who the sponsors are at this point. The reason for this is I would prefer to not make other potential sponsors feel pressured or compelled to pay for a portion of my dinner. If any of our AH outfitters that I've not spoken to would like to help in sponsoring, please PM me.

To those who have already pledged money, my sincere gratitude. It has allowed me a bit more flexibility to plan what I think will be a very enjoyable evening.

I have never been to the Dallas Safari Show before. I think I am going to be as happy there as I have been on a big game hunt. I am really looking forward to seeing everyone at the dinner. Lenny

Lenny- you are in for a treat when you attend the show, as far as the dinner goes? With some of the South African blokes there, there might not be enough to eat or drink :) It will be a pleasure to shake your hand.
Buff Buster- none of the South Africans have enough talent or co-ordination to do the Cotton Eyed Joe!!! :) All they can do is stick out their tongue. :):)
"Roll out the barrel, we'll have a barrel of fun!" Folks, it'll be a grand meeting and dinner, just as it was last year.
Good thing I'm at the Magnolia Hotel connected to the Iron Cactus so I can walk to my room afterwards.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pace88win__

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you