AH Get Together Anchorage Alaska 2015

With my apology, I've been battling with the tedium of trying to post photos and thus far, I have not enjoyed success.
Tomorrow is a new day and I will resume the struggle once more.
If all else fails, I may have to email them to someone who knows how to navigate the Sargasso Sea of computer mumbo jumbo.
Paul, Just drag and drop your pictures directly into the post, they will upload automatically… and as you said if all else fails please feel free to email them to me.
Thanks for organizing and hosting this Get Together at your house!

I'm glad the party was a success. I hope we get to see pictures.:)

Paul, Just drag and drop your pictures directly into the post, they will upload automatically… and as you said if all else fails please feel free to email them to me.
Thanks for organizing and hosting this Get Together at your house!

Thanks Jerome,

I will try this again a couple more times before giving up.
And so, as a last resort, I might have to take you up on emailing the photos to you.
But, I hate to put more on you than you already have to do in maintaining this web site.
I know it is a never ending job that you do here.

And, thank you for all that you do,
Paul (Velo Dog)

When I had similar grief I think the photos needed to be sized a bit smaller.

Paul you can always send the pics to me and ill upload them for you.

-matt

After an epic battle of more than one or two hours, between my tiny brain and my laptop, here are photos of the AH Get Together in Anchorage.

As you can see, most of the men folk ended up down in the bar as the evening passed.
And the topics were quite interesting IMO.
As you can see

Safari Bar AH Get Together 1.JPG
Safari Bar AH Get Together 2.JPG
Safari Bar AH Get Together 3.JPG
Safari Bar AH Get Together 4.JPG
Safari Bar AH Get Together 1.JPG
Safari Bar AH Get Together 2.JPG
Safari Bar AH Get Together 3.JPG
Safari Bar AH Get Together 4.JPG
Safari Bar AH Get Together 5.JPG
Velo andLarry 4831.JPG
Velo\'s 9.3x62.jpg
V.Dog\'s 9.3x62.jpg
Theodore Roosevelt in Safari Bar.JPG
Matt85\'s Whiskey Didn\'t Last.JPG
Cal Pappas vs. Giant Octopus.JPG
Cal Pappas in Safari Bar.JPG
Andy Gordon in Safari Bar.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Day after the party, a greasy old bear damaged my fence by climbing his big fat ass over it, then took the bag out of my garbage can that smelled like pizza and beer, dragged it a little ways and tore it open.
He ate what he wanted and climbed back over my fence.
Theodore Roosevelt is fired as watch dog because he slept through it.
I believe it to have been a quite large black bear since there were no claw marks in his paw print and he really mangled the chain link.
When I was a cop, I weighed 215 lb in uniform, boots, gun belt, Kevlar and all.
Climbed over chain link fences once in awhile on calls and never bent any of them whatsoever.
That bear was a tubby.

fence vs bear.JPG
party garbage strewn.JPG
black bear track.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
When I had similar grief I think the photos needed to be sized a bit smaller.

Thanks Bob,

That is exactly what the problem was (that and the fact that I am a computer dunce, hahaaa).
After my wife heard me verbalize an entire paragraph out of swear words, she had a look and said "you're sending them in too large of format".
I replied "that's what ActionBob said" and she just gave me that look.
So, you get a gold star (which entitles you to free beer in The Safari Bar should you ever visit Anchorage.

Your pal,
Velo Dim Bulb

So, I ended up putting several duplicates of photos into my posts and was "timed out" before I could figure out what to do about it.
Posting photos has been so frustrating for me that I now have PTSD from it and I think Barry Obama should give me a few million dollars to help me get well.

Posting photos has been so frustrating for me that I now have PTSD from it
Yea but now we can double enjoy them!

Paul;
Superb use of space in your Safari Bar!

It looks to me like you have a tad bit of space left on the wall left of the door and some more right of closet. I suggest for therapy you get yourself right out and shoot something to hang on there. Or in the very least, buy another hat;)

It would be a true honor to have a beer with you in there. :D Cheers:

Bob, when I finish making some money and have my first trip to Africa under my belt, we should meet up in Anchorage with a couple of our big guns and have a long 3 day weekend get together with the Dog! Shoot, drink, eat and tell stories. I still want to try some rockfish, V D told me about 5 or 6 months ago!

David;
So a guy from Florida, working in Eastern Europe, planning to hunt in Africa, wants to meet up with a guy from Minnesota but do it in Alaska?

Heck Yea! Sounds like a logical plan to me!

David;
So a guy from Florida, working in Eastern Europe, planning to hunt in Africa, wants to meet up with a guy from Minnesota but do it in Alaska?

That's the way most of my life has been, especially the last 20 years!!!

Yea but now we can double enjoy them!

Paul;
Superb use of space in your Safari Bar!

It looks to me like you have a tad bit of space left on the wall left of the door and some more right of closet. I suggest for therapy you get yourself right out and shoot something to hang on there. Or in the very least, buy another hat;)

It would be a true honor to have a beer with you in there. :D Cheers:

Thanks Bob,

The true honor would be mine amigo.
There are more "remnants de critters" in a large plywood crate in my garage, including a kudu, two gemsbok, several springbok, red hartebeest and I cannot remember what all, plus more N. American boar, caribou, deer and the like.
This winter I hope to get a few more of those out and displayed.
Of course, this is no reason for me to not go hunting again, as time and bank account allow.
(Furthermore a man can never have too many hats).

Cheers,
Paul Dog

Bob, when I finish making some money and have my first trip to Africa under my belt, we should meet up in Anchorage with a couple of our big guns and have a long 3 day weekend get together with the Dog! Shoot, drink, eat and tell stories. I still want to try some rockfish, V D told me about 5 or 6 months ago!

At the risk of having my Alaska residency revoked, I prefer deep fried rock fish over halibut (not that halibut is not fine, because it is pretty darne shotgun good - rock fish just tastes better and that is that).
There I said it, others were thinking it to the point of it being the elephant in the room that nobody wanted to make eye contact with but it's out there now ... fried rock fish tastes better than fried halibut ... so shoot me, anyone with fully functional taste buds secretly knows it's true.

David;

I think there could be a good grand kid story in the making if we pull it off. There are plenty of hotels near the airport which is not far from Paul's place and it's also near one of Alaska's premier hunting and outdoor stores, but I can't recall the name. Here me out here Dog!

What kind of rifle is that laying across the wine crate Paul? A Brno? What caliber?

I think there could be a good grand kid story in the making if we pull it off. There are plenty of hotels near the airport which is not far from Paul's place and it's also near one of Alaska's premier hunting and outdoor stores, but I can't recall the name. Here me out here Dog!

Hi Sierraone,

I think this is a great idea.
The store is Cabela's Anchorage about smack half way between my house and the airport.
There is also now a Bass Pro store in Anchorage, not to mention some interesting small gun shops in town that occasionally have a hidden treasure or two on the used rack.

And I appreciate the hotel thing.
My house ends up being a bed and breakfast lunch & dinner a bit too often sometimes and I think my wife gets over exposed with multiple waves of company living here in shifts each summer.
Sometimes people can stay here for a couple nights, no problem and other times, she gets worn out.

She had a great time with the AH Get Together here, because the next day she was able to sleep in a bit, not worry about putting on makeup, messing around with her hair, etc., then just come down stairs in her robe and slippers to enjoy the gourmet breakfast that I prepared for her of microwaved pizza and hot coffee, heh heh.

The Safari Bar is ready when you are,
Paulo Dog.

What kind of rifle is that laying across the wine crate Paul? A Brno? What caliber?

Hi Larry,

Thanks for driving all the way into town from way out yonder to attend the party.
You are an interesting person to converse with and all of the rest of us enjoyed meeting your lovely wife as well.
I hope your shoulder surgery turns out as well as mine did.

The rifle on the wine crate (and other side against carpet) is my 9.3x62 Mauser.
It was built for me on a 1950's vintage FN Commercial Mauser, Model 98 (Hr. Mauser's finest Model).
The barrel is a 23" either Kreiger or Lothar Walther or some other main stream brand but which one specifically escapes me now.
It has Recknagel sleeved rear sights (one standing and 3 folding), Recknagel banded front sight, with button lock hinged brush guard (sight protector hood).

You can lock the hood folded forward or, lock it "standing" over the front sight blade, as shown in the photo.
The stock is what I believe to be English walnut, and it is from a Whitworth Mauser that has been grubbed out and re-fit to the FN with glass bedding (didn't take much as they are nearly the same dimensions).
The stock is reinforced with cross pins in the right places as well (Andy Hawk is the excellent Gunsmith who did the stock work).

I have the older model Talley bases and low (lever type) rings for it and used to have a 4x Kahles scope on it but as you can see I have taken it off (need to do some filing on the rear sight before re-scoping it.

Initially I took the photos of this rifle to post for Mr. Spike.T's viewing pleasure in the 9.3 threads but, am so put off by my computer struggles that the photos just ended up in with the party photos.
I would like nothing more than to one day, bring this 9.3x62 to Takeri and hunt Livingstone's eland, plus whatever else zigs when it should have zagged, with the Spikester himself but alas, I cannot afford to go across the street at the moment.

Cheers,
Paul (V. Dog).

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeraldineI

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!