African giraffe faces extinction after population dropped 40%...

robertq

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
Life member of DSC, SCI, NRA, Rocky Mt Elk Foundation, American Hunter, Buck Masters & Ruffed Grouse Society
Hunted
Russia, Argentina, Canada & South Africa
Giraffa camelopardalis could face the same chance at extinction as the black rhino, mountain gorilla and African elephant as its numbers dwindle across Africa. The species has lost about 40% of its population — which now stands at about 80,000 to poaching and hunting.

Preliminary research shows 40% of the giraffe population in Africa has been lost due to poaching and hunting.

Giraffes, the tall but graceful icons of the African savannah, are at risk for extinction because of poaching and hunting, reports suggest.

Giraffa camelopardalis has long been listed as a “least concern” on the International Union for Conservation of Nature, but that could change as the species lost 40% of its population, according to The Independent.

Zealous hunting of the gentle creatures has put them at risk already seen by the black rhino, mountain gorilla and African elephant, all of which are critically endangered.

“There are nine different races and we’re probably going to lose some of them. It’s a terrible situation. They could become extinct,” Canadian giraffe expert Dr. Anne Dagg told The Times.

A preliminary count by IUCN found less than 80,000 of giraffes roaming Africa, which is a significant drop from the 140,000 recorded in 1999. The species not only faces habitat degradation in North Africa, but threats from military conflicts in Somalia, Ethiopia and Kenya, according to the UK-based conservation group’s website.

The species’ endangered classification will be reassessed next year, The Independent reported.

Source: http://www.nydailynews.com/new...ps-article-1.2031711

Last edited by a moderator:
I read that. The governments in the world where animal parts have some kind of value need to outlaw the needs. And outlaw importation. This will not only help the particular species involved but also take pressure of hunters.

I am not sure about the extinction part.

Many South African Farms have giraffes, and they will continue to flourish.

Areas where poaching is taking place, will need to do a better job of patrolling their areas...

"Daily News" Giraffa camelopardalis could face the same chance at extinction as the black rhino, mountain gorilla and African elephant as its numbers dwindle across Africa. The species has lost about 40% of its population — which now stands at about 80,000 to poaching and hunting.

Who are these people?
Where did they do research?
Have they been ALL OVER Africa?

Maybe they should send educated adults to do the work and leave the
students in class room where they belong.

This is the first I have heard any major problem(n)

Bullshit.jpg

This is what it is BS, just another thing for the antis to get funds from uneducated poor old people who knows nothing about Africa and is animals. When stuff like this runs around I feel like messing my pants.

There are so many Giraffe in Limpopo I have 20 bulls on quota of one single farm for 2015. Not even mentioning the other 6 farms.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, during my first safari in Limpopo, seeing giraffes while hunting got to the point of being almost as common as seeing impala. Just a one time experience, but it hardly seems they're endangered much less possibly going extinct.

"Daily News" Giraffa camelopardalis could face the same chance at extinction as the black rhino, mountain gorilla and African elephant as its numbers dwindle across Africa. The species has lost about 40% of its population — which now stands at about 80,000 to poaching and hunting.

Who are these people?
Where did they do research?
Have they been ALL OVER Africa?

Maybe they should send educated adults to do the work and leave the
students in class room where they belong.
And there lies the problem. Anti hunting organizations put crap out and non hunters believe it of course. Thus putting pressure on our government to appease the public sentiment. Who suffers? The Africans who need the revenue, the game which then declines due to poaching and farmer poisoning.... And we sportsman who are truly the game managers in a broad sense.

The outfit I have hunted with the most in Limpopo / South Africa periodically has had to organize culling of these tall and numerous camelleopards.

I loved how they word it....

"preliminary research shows..."

In other words, they don't even know if there is a problem and the numbers they have seen aren't conclusive., but if it will help their cause they will happily share incorrect and incomplete data.

Dam bossie 20 bulls off one ranch.How many do they have there and how big is that ranch.I guess we may just see a special on giraffe again.

I guess just another animal that must people see as so nice and great to see so why not use it to stop hunting.It does seem to be the one animal I have taken that people just ask why I would shot one.When I told them it was past it prime and needed to be hunted some understood others are like your just a mean guy.

I love this, again don't always believe what you read......

We bring Hunted Trophies in every day and out of all the animals the giraffes in the least...
We probably cleared a dozen the whole year...
So do the numbers.....

My experience with seeing them was just like that if Phoenix Phil. I saw them several times a day on both hunts.

What a load of bull! Billc all your fault you shot them to extinction.

pieter I may have taken the biggest bull giraffe you or I have ever seen but I did leave a few behind on that place.I would bet there was another 30 total giraffe on that one ranch and that was with a bunch of young ones to.
I think they need to do another game count and get real numbers.

pieter I may have taken the biggest bull giraffe you or I have ever seen but I did leave a few behind on that place.I would bet there was another 30 total giraffe on that one ranch and that was with a bunch of young ones to.
I think they need to do another game count and get real numbers.
Thanks billc, you see you are just another living proof that the anti's are Bull S@@@@@ the uninformed. I wish I could meet this fool.
Maybe I should go and write Santa a letter for my Xmas box.

First clue is the statement that elephant are "critically endangered". Simply, and demonstrably, untrue.

I frankly think it's an animal the antis use to gain sympathy from the regular public. Most people I know don't believe zebra and giraffes are hunted at all. This is how the antis work...they use splitting, as we say in mental health.

Enysse is 100% spot on, you see they use the Giraffe because every second fool in their community knows what it is, if they for instance used the Grysbok, Serval, African Civet Samango Monkey or any non so popular animal species the fools who read it, won't care because they have no clue what they are talking about.

I wonder if what they would write if they had to do a count on Bushpig????

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RamiroMcGu

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg