African Game Meat - the good the bad and the ugly!

jeez l wish you would stop saying that .....
after my op this week im about to dive right in the deep end, I proberly wont be leaving this country for atleast 2 years after my Zambian adventure...
your making it very hard , mate.......

:)

how about the old Quebec technique, no skill required (dynamite)
How do you expect to get "CIL" spinners on the plane ....is this even legal in Africa ? ROTFLMFAO !
Glen

How do you expect to get "CIL" spinners on the plane ....is this even legal in Africa ? ROTFLMFAO !
Glen

nope its not legal :E Red Hot:.......here is some we took from "fishermen" on the kafue last oct

Image0168.jpg
Image0180.jpg

the lodge upriver caught some as well with this stuff, and heard later on they had threatened to blow up the lodge for catching these ones.......

yup fishing with dynamite , sustainable fishing ,for the future generations of local Zambain kids, way to go .........

Here's my conclusion:

It seems there is a meat bias in general towards baby-boomers and older generations. Gen X was the first multicultural cuisine generation that eats anything. Only the past 30 years does every strip mall have a sushi cafe, a tapas restaurant, a French bistro and a hibachi. How many of us say "let's get Pakistani tonight?" Like my five year old does. Times are a changing.

My mother says let's eat Chinese but she means bland chop suey. She'd never eat lamb, sushi, or anything but normal pork, beef, chicken. Pretty bland tastes and pretty common for the greatest generation.

Other than world adventure travelers, there aren't many people over about 55 that will eat anything on the planet. Andrew Zimmurn's bizarre foods TV show has struggled with younger demographics for these reasons. His show doesn't shock worldly people age 40. I'd eat about 90% of what they eat on the show and I have eat more than 50%. On a monthly basis we probably eat 20% of his featured fare.

Point being, I think you have to have a taste for adventure or you grew up with a global pallet, and if you do, almost everything is good. In general I'd say if you don't like medium rare food you're pretty screwed when eating game in general. If I put venison in a crock pot it's not edible to me unless in an Indian Curry where I'm looking for goat style harsh flavor. Cooked medium rare in fajitas it tastes like steak but better. Cook time is transformative to flavors for everything.

If someone says their favorite food is medium well done or more done New York Strip (world's worst cut of meat in my camp) you can be sure they will hate most game.

If someone says their favorite food is highly marbled medium-rare ribeye and they eat 100% of the marbling, they probably will like every piece of meat they try regardless of species.

We're pampered westerners. Most of us lost our taste for blood sausage, sweet breads, tripe, head cheese and other staples of our great grandparents and it impacts our ability to try new things because we can't handle organ meat as well any more. It's all about tolerance for eating animal fat, tolerance for less cooked food, and a broad pallet. Being younger and liking rare food helps a ton.

There isn't much bad food, only bad chefs and bad customers. :)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JudeWjg34

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross