African Game Meat - the good the bad and the ugly!

Just be careful. If you hang out around the skinning shed long enough you will have all sorts of things offered to you to eat!

IMG_8649.JPG

Ha warbird 782 that looks like prairie oysters ! Or should I say bush veld oysters !

Yes of the eland variety.

I have to say that the BBQ Zebra steaks were my friend and I's favorite. I cant remember what it was marinated in but it was amazing! We had it almost every day cooked over the bush fire.

Well one thing I am looking forward to is the Elephant meat. I have been told that the cheek meat is very good.

the local butcher who buys some of our meat keeps on about getting him porcupine. we wouldnt but it must be good ,unfortunately never had the chance to eat any.

Here in Alaska, porcupine is considered a delicacy for making soup / stew.
It is tough by nature but, when simmered in a tight lid kettle, for several hours in broth, herbs, spices and vegetables it becomes very tender and is delicious.
I will be keen to try the African variety if I ever get the chance.
All the other critters I have eaten there have been excellent.
Various wild foods do not worry me in the slightest, but food that's festooned with growth hormones, antibiotics, coloring and tenderizers give me the creeps.

Well one thing I am looking forward to is the Elephant meat. I have been told that the cheek meat is very good.
the cheek meat on most animals is really good, including big fish .....

the cheek meat on most animals is really good, including big fish .....

I'm + 1 with you on this subject Bluey (and Royal27).
Here where I live, halibut cheeks often sell for a little over $20.us per pound at Anchorage fish counters.
Personally, I think they are worth the high price for special occasions and holidays, excellent eating as long you don't over cook them.
Also, "butt cheeks", might tickle Mr. Spike.T to know is sometimes used as a local Alaskan slang for these.

Mmmm..... grouper cheek.....
yup ,ling (kingsplin), stripped trumpeter, all tunas and billfish
the scientist I have on board this trip tells me the cheeks off Patagonian toothfish are the best he has tried .
a little work to get to some of them ,but well worth it .

yup ,ling (kingsplin), stripped trumpeter, all tunas and billfish
the scientist I have on board this trip tells me the cheeks off Patagonian toothfish are the best he has tried .
a little work to get to some of them ,but well worth it .

Never would have thought of Ling. Man those are fun to catch though and extremely good eating!

Here where I live, halibut cheeks often sell for a little over $20.us per pound at Anchorage fish counters.
Personally, I think they are worth the high price for special occasions and holidays, excellent eating as long you don't over cook them.
Also, "butt cheeks", might tickle Mr. Spike.T to know is sometimes used as a local Alaskan slang for these.

I tried halibut ,when I was in brittish Columbia, even tho it was frozen ,it still impressed me .
id love to catch and eat on for my self , oneday,

mmmmmm Halibut.
We'll have to see what fish we can catch this trip in SA.

Bass, Catfish, Bream, Rainbow Trout, .......

yep, and we will be trying for tigerfish, I read they are boney , but im definitely going to try some , if we are fortunate enough to land a couple

bloody rainbow trout, im the first to say I really suck at trout fishing, but id love to catch just,one bloody rainbow......

yup Mr VD nothing wrong with a nice firm pair of butt cheeks on the table.......;):whistle::D

yep, and we will be trying for tigerfish, I read they are boney , but im definitely going to try some , if we are fortunate enough to land a couple

bloody rainbow trout, im the first to say I really suck at trout fishing, but id love to catch just,one bloody rainbow......

how about the old Quebec technique, no skill required (dynamite)

LOL, youll have to add that to your list whenever you come over. they are easy here.

LOL, youll have to add that to your list whenever you come over. they are easy here.
jeez l wish you would stop saying that .....
after my op this week im about to dive right in the deep end, I proberly wont be leaving this country for atleast 2 years after my Zambian adventure...
your making it very hard , mate.......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlieRiggs

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross