African Dangerous Game Cartridges - Pierre van der Walt

Gerhard.375

AH member
Reaction score
Member of
SAHGCA, NSA
Hunted
South Africa and Namibia (when it was still South-West Africa)
This book is truly a masterpiece of epic proportions.

See here: Pathfinder Book Publishers - African Dangerous Game Cartriges - Special Edition

and here: https://www.safaripress.com/product.php?productid=1245&cat=316&page=1

I have read it from cover to cover. It is a must have for every enthusiast.

African Dangerous Game Cartridges by Pierre van der Walt
Foreword by Richard Harland

African Dangerous Game Cartridges was written to cover the proliferation of dangerous game cartridges that started about a century ago and has lasted into the second millennium. It is destined to become the book that will in future be quoted around campfires to settle arguments.

Its focus is narrow: dangerous game cartridges, rifles, and the necessary accessories. While some may consider this too narrow a focus, the depth of detail makes it extremely valuable. It covers every sporting caliber from 9.3x62 to a .600 Nitro Express, for a total of 48 cartridges altogether. Written by a leading African professional, this book sets a standard for the genre, and in these 480 pages you will find a depth of knowledge and information that can be found nowhere else.

In addition to the above, it contains essential information regarding rifles (bolt actions, doubles, and single shots), optics, cartridges, recoil management, and handloading. Any hunter who carries a big-bore rifle will be glad he bought a copy. It is superbly illustrated with almost 500 photographs, drawings, and tables, all of which are in color.

The author has his own opinions and does not shy away from controversy. For example, he rejects old beliefs about sectional density and proposes a new philosophy. Around campfires throughout the world discussions and arguments on the relative merits and demerits of different sporting cartridges have raged for over a century. This informative book will be invaluable in helping you make a decision as to which cartridge you want to chamber in your next dangerous big-game rifle or what side to take in a philosophical debate.

Thanks for the up date...i was looking at purchasing this book...

tx
lots of relevant info for the ongoing debate..

Can anyone explain why the prices on this book have gone through the roof? I have not read it, but it certainly could not possibly be worth several hundred USD.

JPmbogo asked why the price of this book has skyrockted.

Possibly demand? Because so many are armchair hunters?

Other posts mention ongoing debate, controversy, arguments, etc.
Did anyone mention ballistics or physics?
or AMMO TO SHOOT THAT DAMNED COYOTE HOWLING OUT BACK.

Out of print perhaps?
Not to speculate on what it may be worth, it is one of the best books on this topic (if not the best)

Maybe grab his Medium Game Cartridges book while it's still readily available?

Seems like it's out of print, its a must for any Big Bore lover.

I have an ebook version of this book, it is available through Amazon

Seems like it's out of print, its a must for any Big Bore lover.

JPmbogo asked why the price of this book has skyrockted.

Possibly demand? Because so many are armchair hunters?

Other posts mention ongoing debate, controversy, arguments, etc.
Did anyone mention ballistics or physics?
or AMMO TO SHOOT THAT DAMNED COYOTE HOWLING OUT BACK.
Ah, yes. Walter Mitty is alive and well. And of course, there are those out there who can and will pay 2 mil for a Tom Brady trading card.

There will be new prints of this book available shortly. For members in the USA, the cost of shipping this book to the USA or Europe is just financially not viable. If there are visiting hunters to SA it can be arrange to take a copy of this book back to the USA /Europe and courier it to you.
I spoke to Pierre van der Walt yesterday , he mentioned he will be printing more copies as well as more copies of the medium cartridges part 1 and 2 as well.

Please indicate who would be interested in buying this book and if there are members who will be visiting SA this year please indicate if you will be willing to take back a copy of these books to members in the USA/Europe ...I will co-ordinate this ...(y)

If it works out and can be arranged, I would be interested in all of the above books if someone manages to be in a situation to bring some to the US. I know I won’t be going to Africa this year. I’m optimistic I can get there in 2023, but it may not be that soon either.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-02-22 at 11.50.46 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-22 at 11.50.46 PM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 85
  • Screen Shot 2022-02-22 at 11.50.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-22 at 11.50.56 PM.png
    420.9 KB · Views: 86
I just bought a copy of "African Dangerous Game Cartridges" from https://www.huntersbookcase.com/ for $39.95 plus shipping. Delivered last week.

Don't know how many they have left, but for those still looking, try these guys.

There will be new prints of this book available shortly. For members in the USA, the cost of shipping this book to the USA or Europe is just financially not viable. If there are visiting hunters to SA it can be arrange to take a copy of this book back to the USA /Europe and courier it to you.
I spoke to Pierre van der Walt yesterday , he mentioned he will be printing more copies as well as more copies of the medium cartridges part 1 and 2 as well.

Please indicate who would be interested in buying this book and if there are members who will be visiting SA this year please indicate if you will be willing to take back a copy of these books to members in the USA/Europe ...I will co-ordinate this ...(y)
Hi Gert, will you please keep us updated on this thread when you have more information? I will definitely buy a copy locally.

Great resource - part of my permanent library.

Hi Gert, will you please keep us updated on this thread when you have more information? I will definitely buy a copy locally.
I will do , for sure, I manage to contact Pierre as I mentioned, and send your questions/suggestions to him via whatsapp..

Pierre van der Walt`s contact details : +27 64 611 5754

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlineDu

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross