affordable binoculars

Lets see now. Affordable you say... Plan ahead.
This is how i was able to up grade my optics.

My Leica glasses that retailed for $2,400+ i was able to get for $0 using my Cabela's club points. (y)
My Leica ranger finder cost me $0 using my Cabela's club points. (y)
I have a Leica scope on order that will cost me $0 using my Cabela's club points. (y)

MY Zeiss glasses retailed for $1,100+ i was able to have a friend (Dealer) order for me and i was able to purchase for less than $500. :)

I also have a friend who goes to garage sales that was able to pick up some Swarovskis glasses that were new and in the box for $25.00 :) (y) :) (y)

With all the groaning going on about what is affordable, it is all in how you plan.

I have a older pair of Swarovski 8X32's that I'd sell you for a good price. PM me if your interested. My other thought is to look at the Zeiss conquests. I bought one of the early pair and is relatively light. Your eyes will thank you over and over for good glass, or rather they won't complain...... Bruce

If we are talking about "affordable", when in Africa, I use the Steiner 8x30 safari, light and rugged.

I also have a Hertel & Reuss 8x56 (german brand bought by Swarovsky) which is a great optic, but too large and heavy.

If we are talking about affordable binoculars, then I would recommend the Steiner Safari 8x30, light and rugged.

I have an old pair of Hertel & Reuss in 8x56 with outstanding optics, but they are just too large and heavy to carry all day.

Can´t blame the wine, just my incompetence with computers :D

Steiner night hunters they never fail

Go on ebay, buy used Swarovski, Zeiss or Leica. When you get them, send them for factory refurbishing. They'll come back like new, and the charge won't be much - if any. Like this you'll have binoculars for life.

8x32 is one of the best balances between vision and ease of carry. Larger than that, they tend to become a pain in the rear end after a few hours of carry.

Kano, that is something I didn't put much thought into. after cruising Ebay a bit it looks like I can get some pretty nice used optics for very good prices. at first glance I found some used Swarovski 8x30 binos for under $600. I doubt id win these at those low prices but ill keep an eye on ebay.

thanks
-matt

azdave, those arent bad looking. from what ive seen Vortex makes pretty nice binos.

-matt

Swarovski EL with "Swarovision" coatings, in 10x42 most definitely are NOT affordable.
However, if you ever decide to "cowboy-up" and buy yourself a pair, I promise you that you'll only cry once, instead of every time you try to identify whatever it was that, you think you just saw flick an ear or bump a leaf, way down below you, in some dark shaded / brush choked canyon, at last light.

What is the groups thoughts on Swarovski ELs in 10x32 versus 10x42?

One is lighter and smaller but honestly the extra weight is worth it to me. Big glass is easier on the eyes and better for spotting anything.

10x are better than 8x if you can have a steady rest or can choose your position, like when birding, or watching game from a stopped car. But if you have walked a few hours, are slightly out of breath, hiding behind a bush in a less than ideal position, then the 10x magnifies your own involuntary unsteadiness, and what you gain in magnification you lose in blur. That's why so many people opt for 8x instead, which are also lighter - a bonus.

10x are better than 8x if you can have a steady rest or can choose your position, like when birding, or watching game from a stopped car. But if you have walked a few hours, are slightly out of breath, hiding behind a bush in a less than ideal position, then the 10x magnifies your own involuntary unsteadiness, and what you gain in magnification you lose in blur. That's why so many people opt for 8x instead, which are also lighter - a bonus.

To add to this, I personally often have to use my binos with one hand as the other is often holding a rifle. Add to this that the "bino buddy" straps pull just a bit and this isn't as easy as it sounds. With 10x it would be that much harder.

What is the groups thoughts on Swarovski ELs in 10x32 versus 10x42?

Larger front lenses = more light gathered and thereby more light delivered to your eyes.
Very important during dawn and dusk conditions and/or when standing in lighted conditions but, trying to identify something that is hiding deep into dark shade conditions.

One is lighter and smaller but honestly the extra weight is worth it to me. Big glass is easier on the eyes and better for spotting anything.

+1

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
febixix695

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois