Advice wanted on optics for .375 H&H

john rawlings

Reaction score
I'm hoping that the members of this forum will be able to give me some good, solid advice.

I just purchased a new Winchester Model 70 in .375 H&H, a rifle I have wanted for a long, long time. I'm now searching for the best optics for this rifle and caliber. I've always been a Leupold man, but am not deadset against any other maker if the reasoning is solid.

A little about me - I have hunted throughout the Western US for over 30 years, using everything between a .22-250 to a .338-06. Although Africa is definitely on "my horizon" in the coming years, this rifle will primarily be used for Alaskan Moose and Caribou, and as a defensive arm should I inadvertantly encounter an aggressive Brown Bear while hunting for the above. As such, I will need optics that will function well in both open spaces and brush where visibility is limited and in which rain and fog are the norm. I'm thinking something along the lines of a 1.5 X 4 as that makes a lot of sense to me considering the above conditions.

Please, if anyone has some recommendations on a good, solid scope that will meet those needs, I'm all ears. Specific maker, series and/or model number, your experiences with the scope and the rationale behind your choice will be most welcome at my end.

I would very much appreciate your input. Thank you in advance!

John

Nothing wrong with a low range Leupold scope, sounds like a excellent choice.

Something you may want to consider if you decide to take one rifle to africa or hunt other animals while hunting brown bears is to get a scope with more magnification like a 2x8 and use detachable scope mounts like Warne. That way you can remove the scope and use the open sights. This is not a recomendation......just something to consider. Listen to the DG PH's on this site, their thoughts are alot more valuable than mine. Let us know what your decision is on optics and magnification. Good luck.

2-8 or even 3-9 is what I use. Had a 1.5 - 5.5 on my 375 in africa and found it to small.

I have a 1,25 - 4,5 x 28 on my 375 for the past 20 years now. I had it put on because it does sometimes happen that a client's rifle or scope breaks down. I then give them my 375 to use. Never had a problem of any kind when a client used it. The magnification is big enough for shots out to 250y and that is far out. I did not put it on detachable mounts because I believe that a gun is either scoped or not. A low powered scope works wonders even on dangerous game as you only have to focus on the animal and put the cross on it. With open sights you have to focus on three objects to make a good shot. If you do more than 70% of your normal shooting with a scope then you will not make a good shot under stressful conditions with an open sight.
Theory works great but practical always has a way to blow theory out the window.

Since the early 70s I had Leupold on every rifle I ever owned & that is many. I have also had Bushnell, Redfield, Weaver, Swarovski, & others I have forgotten. .Now I have Zeiss on everything & that will never change. Exclusively Zeiss & Warne quick detach lever mounts.

Leupold VX-III 1.5x5 or similar should give you great results. Weaver also came out with a DG series I am anxious to try, gotta buy another rifle and scope though, (damn the luck).

I love my lighted reticle VXR Leuopold; I also have a Zeiss Duralyte but the .375 recoil at times causes the battery to become unseated...

I'm using the Leupold Vari X 3, 2.5 x 8 with a Vari X 3, 1.5 x 5 as a backup.

I'm using the Leupold Vari X 3, 2.5 x 8 with a Vari X 3, 1.5 x 5 as a backup.

I think for me, that is the ideal set-up!

I'm a Nikon fan myself and I have been really happy with my Nikon 1x4 Monarch African series scope. It sighted in very well and has a great line of site with the thick cross hairs.

I just purchased the same rifle and have added the Leupold VX6 1x6 on it. Great for close shot as it is a true 1x but the magnification out to 6x allows me to reach out a little longer if necessary.

I'm with beau416 on the scope issue I believe in putting the best glass you can afford on a rifle I too am a zeiss fan but whatever you choose have fun with you're new toy

I'm hoping that the members of this forum will be able to give me some good, solid advice.

I just purchased a new Winchester Model 70 in .375 H&H, a rifle I have wanted for a long, long time. I'm now searching for the best optics for this rifle and caliber. I've always been a Leupold man, but am not deadset against any other maker if the reasoning is solid.
I'm thinking something along the lines of a 1.5 X 4 as that makes a lot of sense to me considering the above conditions.
John
I have a Winch Safari Express .375 H&H, it's very accuracy and "allround", .375 H&H is rather flat, from light game to BG and from 50 m to 180 meters so why not a versatile 3-9 x?? with QR mount. I use a Leupold 3-9x40 QR (or QD ...? Warne -Leupold /Leupold-Warne ??)

Else trail ...Swaroski Z6i EE 1-6x24 ... I dont know but I'd seen "good opinions" (french tests) and very good (the best ?) eye relief !!
They say "design" for Africa .. but not cheap ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross