Advice on Barnes

I guess the winking smiley does not show up too well (the sarcasm smiley).

I know how rapidly the TTSX opens. I was being a bit of an arse to those who continue to opine that they don't open quickly/reliably, based mostly, I think, on some past X and TSX issues.

If one watches the video of shooting the 3 inch thick block, you can see the bullet is well expanded at the 1.5 inch mark.

I got it. I was just adding to your point.

Beautiful Moose, great pictures you earned it and thanks for your service. The only TSX's I use are the 570g in my 500 Jeffery at 2300 fps. Since they were designed for the 500 NE I emailed Barnes and they told me the minimum velocity for reliable expansion is 1600 fps. I too have distrusted the mono hollow point bullets in terms of expansion, but this particular bullet has expanded well on a cow elk at 200 yards and a feral hog at 8' (complete pass through leaveing a 6" diameter exit wound). Since I bought the rifle for cape buffalo (maybe elephant with solids if I win the lottery) the TSX's reputation is awesome on tougher animals, my concern is that it wouldn't open up on thinner skinned game (brown bears?). No worries with this particular bullet there.

Thanks Colo. and thanks for the info. Happy hunting. I generally prefer the Barnes mono bullets at roughly 2,500+ impacts and otherwise prefer the Noslers, but I have no empirical evidence that this is correct; it's just my hunch. In any event, even if your .500 doesn't expand, it may not matter given its mass and large cross-section. But it probably will expand as you stated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack849688

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg