Advice needed Buff Hunt

cleanscapes

Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Namibia
I'm a proud dad-- but one with a big obligation now. Told my son that if he prepared hard and got National Merit status on his PSAT that I'd take him on a cape buffalo hunt. He got the scores back yesterday and he made it with room to spare. (Great week for him. His team won a state championship in football and he was named Second Team All State.)

Would like recommendations on where to go. Here are the criteria I'm interested in:

Want to go somewhere where the location, and overall experience will be as memorable as the animal he may or may not harvest.

Beautiful terrain, "prototypical Africa experience" , and PH quality are as critical as trophy opportunity.

Nice accommodations are not important. In some regards, a rustic , remote experience may be desirable.

Willing to take some political risk. E.g. Zimbabwe would probably not be a problem.

We would likely want to take some other game. I may want to shoot a buff myself

We need to go between June and Mid August

My son is in good condition and an experienced hunter and good shot. I'm in decent condition but can get in good condition :)

Starting to repeat myself, but beautiful and varied terrain and the ability to see a fair amount of other game, and being in a location that feels/ looks a bit of old Africa would be ideal.

We have hunted plains game in Namibia and had a great trip there.

We will be going to either the Dallas or Reno SCI show.

Budget: Willing and able to spend money, but worked really hard to get what we have and can't enjoy myself if the meter is spinning too rapidly :) So , doesn't have to be a "bargain" but like to get value.

Would like to have a chance of getting a "trophy" , but willing to compromise the likelihood of this if all the other factors are in place.

Thanks for your help. He is a very excited young man!

So, where to go and who with ??

Hunted with CharltonMcCallum past August and had a wonderful trip. Shot Buff, Elephant and Sable. If you look at The Hunting Report website hunting reports they are highly praised. Also look at their website. Zim is the best bang for the buck in Africa for Big Game and things are much better relatively speaking there than they were in 2007.
Saw lots of Buffalo, camp was tented but nice, food great and staff first class. Good luck and congrats to your son!

Message sent.

Martin Pieters is another fine operator in Zimbabwe. His Omay concession is 2,000,000 acres of dangerous game hunting. There is also plains game hunting. Another added benefit is the Ume and Mckenzie camps are on Lake Kariba and offer some fine fishing.

Martin is also now chairman of the Zimbabwe Professional Hunters and Guide Association (ZPHGA).

Martin Pieters Safaris :: Omay Zimbabwe Safaris :: Welcome

Email me if you have any questions. kburke2006@att.net Martin is also very good about responding to emails.

BTW I am not an agent just a hunter.

I cannot recommend anyone by name but per your interest in classic Africa, I suspect you may like Tanzania. Its more expensive than Zim but it is for sure the classic Africa you may be looking for. I hunted there in 1985 and took my first buff there and got my 2nd in Botswana which is also a good choice however much of Botswana is apparently being turned over to eco-safaris and hunting closed gradually. If money was the main concern Zim would be the choice but if not, go with Tanzania for classic Africa and get with someone with a tented camp, there is nothing like it.

Hello Cleanscapes,

I have send you a PM.

Best regards,

Hi Cleanscapes

Welcome to the forum!

Congratulations to your son on his scores and might I add what a gift he should dearly thank Dad after the hunt.

Please feel free to have a look at my web site we have over 50 Cape Buffalo.

If I can be of any assistance please don’t hesitate to contact me?

Best Regards
Louis van Bergen

Hello Cleanscapes,

I am hunting Central Africa, real wild and remote area and Tanzania.
Send you a private message.
kind regards
christophe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaI60135

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross