Accutip sabots in Africa

bwheasler

Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA, Shotgun shooters assn.
Hunted
South Africa
I have just returned from my first African trip for plains game. Nothing new, except I took my trusty Remington 870 with Remington's new Accutip sabot slug. My PH had no experience with slug or slug hunters, but was willing to try. And try we did. Now 200yds is about to outside range of this weapon, so many stalks were in order to get within a reasonable range. We were persistant and we successful with a blesbok at 170, kudu at 55, impala at 125, sprinbok at 140, bush pig at 10 and a duiker at 100. They were impressed with the knockdown power. I am already planning next year with zebra and gemsbok on the plate. Plus a good warthog. Did not see any this trip with decent teeth. Good excuse to go back. I do know that trip cannot really be adequetly decribed, only expereiced. The sunsets, the stars, the GAME. Hemingway was right.

Attachments

• Africa10.jpg
    Africa10.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 193
  • Blesbok.jpg
    Blesbok.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 177
  • Bush-pig.jpg
    Bush-pig.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 185
  • Impala.jpg
    Impala.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 159
  • Kudu.jpg
    Kudu.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 218
  • Springbok.jpg
    Springbok.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 180
Looks like you had a great trip. Never heard of anyone doing a slug only safari. Nicely done!

BWHEASLER,

How do you rate those Accu Tip slugs? I shoot both a Tar Hunt Special and a Mossberg 695, both are fully rifled bolt guns in 12 bore. I grew up in Ohio without a rifle season for deer so we got real creative with slug guns. Since then I've held on to the affection I guess. My biggest problem has always been finding an accurate, fast, and reliable slug that is readily available where ever I may be living. The Remington slug is one that I can even get here in Germany fairly easy.

I've stuck with the Lighfield Commanders in the Tar Hunt Rifle, mainly because the guns are pretty much made to shoot the lightfield slugs, in the Mossberg I've settled on the Winchester Platinum at 2030 FPS. They knock the crap out of you but it is the most accurate I have found to feed thru it.

Let me know what your thoughts are, would you stick with them or maybe try something else.

I rate AccuTip Slug the best

I too am from the Midwest and used to using a slug gun, that is why I took it to Africa. I had been Remington's core-lokt slug with good success. But the look of the Accutip made me give it a try. Right off the bat I was shooting 1" groups at 50yds and 2 1/2' groups at 125yds. The blesbok I shot was at 172 steps. They are accurate out of my 870. Here a pic of the recovered slugs from my Africa trip From the left, new slug, blesbok, impala, kudu, and bush pig. The springbok and duiker were pass thru's.

Remington AccuTip Bonded Sabot Slug

Attachments

• slugs.jpg
    slugs.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 283
  • accutip-bonded-sabot-slug.jpg
    accutip-bonded-sabot-slug.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 189
Congradulations! Not to many people hunt with a shotgun. It takes guts. A lot of people doubt the power of a shotgun. But it is very deadly. I know...I live in Wisconsin...shotgun country.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlineDu

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross