ACCURATE .22 LR..?

Discussion in 'Firearms & Ammunition' started by DOC-404, Jul 3, 2013.

1. DOC-404

DOC-404 AH Elite

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Namibia, Angola, Botswana, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Mozambique and Poachers.
    Hey guys, I'm in the market for an accurate .22 lr. My youngest son wants to start competing in 50 meter bench-rest. CZ ? Sako Quad ? Walther ? Anshutz ? Who's got what ? Any suggestions ?

PS.. Maybe our Bossman could get our Supermod to open a rimfire sub-section, if there is enough interest..?
  2. 35bore

35bore AH Elite

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NRA,Missouri hunters ed, SCI, Owensville Gun Club, Quail Forever
    Hunted:
    USA, South Africa, France
    DOC, in my limited experience with rimfires, the most accurate I have shot is a Ruger 77/22 (have to replace that heavy Ruger trigger though). Although I have never owned one, my ex-father-in-law had an Anshutz (don't remember the model number) but it was deadly accurate at 100 yards using CCI Raptor ammo.
  3. greyfox

greyfox AH Veteran

Whatever fits him.
    In my experience Anshutz (it's what most the Olympians shoot) or the Sako (I'm a Sako fan!)

GreyFox
  4. spike.t

spike.t GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    sci int, basc
    Hunted:
    zambia, tanzania, zimbabwe, hungary, france, england
    it depends how serious he wants to take it, and how much you want to spend, but it has to be walther or anschutz. the sako quad "RANGE" is an in between, target rifle and can be used in the field type , but not as hardcore target as the other 2 makes produce.
  5. FerRGarza

FerRGarza AH Veteran

Member of:
    Dallas Safari Club
    Hunted:
    North America (USA & MX)
    I shoot rimfire silhouette (offhand) and use several rifles.. I use an Anschütz (54.18) which is great out of the box, however mine has modifications such as Lilja barrel. stock Anschütz triggers are two stage and excellent. I also use a Ruger 10/22 that is completely TONY KIDD as far as trigger two stage (3oz) , barrel .920 20" and all internal components, bell and carlson anschutz style stock). Also I use a Remington 40x that is also modified, action blueprinted, squared, second action screw, Lilja barrel, mark pharr stock. For benchrest, I would stay away from semi-autos due to the fact that they have many moving parts that would cause more jump on the barrel. Annies and Rem40x are your best shot in my opinion due to the experience I have had with them. they are very good rifles and need no extreme modifications. Single shot setups make it even more accurate. I would also suggest that buy a rifle that is already top top of the line. The rem40x and Anschutz are very solid reliable actions that last a lifetime. My ruger started out as a $180 rifle and ended up being $1000+ after modifications, and still cant outshoot my annie. annies are in the $1000's but one can find used ones at lower prices. dont forget a good quality scope as well. I use leupolds with target dot reticle witch is very useful in benchrest. Also ammo has alot to do with accuracy. especially in target rifles as their chambers are target chambers, that are more finicky with ammo. I use Lapua, Eley, and at times I use Sk or Wolf as practice rounds. Target ammo will be more expensive. starting anywhere from $7 a box (50ct) to $20+ a box of (50ct) bulk ammo will be less consistent with more fliers and missfires, also they are can damage the chambers due to low quality materials.

hope my experience helps.
    -Fer
  6. DOC-404

DOC-404 AH Elite

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Namibia, Angola, Botswana, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Mozambique and Poachers.
    Thanks, much, for the input guys. I got myself a Sako Quad which is very accurate with RWS R50's and is also suitable for my kids to hunt with, where the genuine BR rifles I looked at, would not be. You know what I mean..?
  7. Nyati

Nyati AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    RFEC, RFETO
    Hunted:
    Finland, RSA ( KwaZulu Natal, Limpopo, North West ), Spain
    Good choice, Doc, Spain s champion BR shooter is using a Quad.