Contributor
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Website
www.africanindaba.co.za
Media
Articles
Member of
CIC, Rowland Ward, B&C, DSC, German Hunting Association, KZN Hunting Association, Wild Sheep Foundation
Hunted
Western US, Western Canada, Alaska, Colombia, Tajikistan, Russian Federation, China, Iran, Austria, Germany, Spain, Czech Republic, UK, Indonesia, South Africa, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Congo, Tanzania, Uganda, Botswana, Namibia
SCI Foundation initiated a new study on the socio-economics of hunting in Africa. The report will collect numerical evidence of the benefits that sustainable hunting provides. The study is a follow-up to SCI’s 12th annual African Wildlife Consultative Forum, which took place last November in Zambia. Southwick Associates, a consulting company specializing in natural resource and environmental economics, will lead the data collection and reporting. Participants of African Wildlife Consultative Forum (AWCF), including representatives of government and the professional hunting industry, are helping compile information.

The Southwick Associates study will be submitted for peer review to ensure it meets the highest standard of professionalism. This study is of particular importance, as some organizations question the impact and importance of hunting to conservation and local communities. They often promote other non-consumptive options as a better alternative and make biased comparisons to hunting economics.

The study initiated by SCI Foundation will certainly contribute valuable data to the discussion.

SCI Announcement:
A new study on the socio-economics of hunting is underway and seeks to report the far-reaching contributions of consumptive tourism in Africa. Specialized in natural resource and environmental economics, Southwick Associates will lead the data collection and reporting of the study. Participants of African Wildlife Consultative Forum (AWCF), including representatives of government and the professional hunting industry, are helping compile information.

Many reports of this manner have attempted to quantify the socio-economic impacts of hunting at various scales; however, few have entered the peer-review process. The Southwick Associates study will be submitted for peer review to ensure it meets the highest standard of professionalism. Such a report will provide numerical evidence of the benefits that sustainable hunting provides.

Direct hunting revenue is generally applied to wildlife conservation, and in some countries, to the communities of people that initiate wildlife conservation. In the United States, hunters spend 30 to 40 billion dollars every year, and approximately 3 billion dollars is applied to wildlife conservation. When looking at the bigger picture, the hunting industry reaches farther then just funding wildlife management; it stimulates tourism, provides job opportunities, and works vigorously to stop poachers. The people and environments who benefit from hunting appreciate the value of these contributions.

Some organizations question the impact and importance of hunting to conservation and local communities. They often promote other non-consumptive options as a better alternative and make improper comparisons to hunting economics. SCI Foundation is looking forward to the completion of the Southwick Associations study and how it is used to promote the positive role of hunting in wildlife conservation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bkNen

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross