a rare sighting...

Discussion in 'Humorous Jokes, Stories or Pictures' started by observe, Feb 25, 2012.

1. observe

observe CONTRIBUTOR AH Fanatic

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SAHGCA [Skilled Hunter qualified-Cum Laude], Handgun Hunters Assosiation of SA, Bowhunting, SAGA, Provincial Heavy caliber target shooting teams, Bisley qualified, Army sharpshooter rifle & pistol qualified, ...
    Hunted:
    R.S.A,Namibia,Venda
    i've just received these extraordinary photos of an african elephant in the sea
    it doesnt seemed stressed out or that much bothered comming from the deep through the small waves
    is there somewhere in africa an island near the coast where elephants make such a crossing?
    [maybe there was a big storm,but still...]

can anyone give me some information on this unusual sighting?

image001.jpg

image002.jpg

image003.jpg

or is it a huge lake and not the sea at all,as it seems to drink the water in the last photograph.

is it just cooling off or what?

2. Baydog

Baydog AH Veteran

Member of:
    Member SCI, QDMA
    Very cool..........thanks for sharing.

3. owenowen

owenowen AH Veteran

Hunted:
    South Africa, Mozambique, Zambia, Botswana, Namibia
    Remarkable images have emerged from Mozambique of an elephant swimming in the sea off bay of Nuarro, on the north coast
    Bizarre images of an African elephant swimming, playing, washing and drinking in the sea have emerged from an eco-tourism lodge in Mozambique.
    An incredibly rare sight elephants love water and hosing themselves down but it is highly unusual to see them in the sea.
    Chris McIntyre from Expert Africa said: phenomenally unusual in southern or East Africa for an elephant to be in the ocean. I've never seen this, and very, very rarely heard of it!
    The elephant was spotted off the coast in the bay of Nuarro, home to the Nuarro Mozambique eco-lodge. Trienke Lodewijk from the Nuarro Lodge said, can you believe this, in our bay! It is so incredible. We couldn't believe it when we spotted him.
    Scientists think elephants don't naturally like sea water but can't place a specific reason on why.

4. BRICKBURN

BRICKBURN SUPER MODERATOR CONTRIBUTOR GOLD BENEFACTOR AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Member of:
    KZN Hunters Assoc
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Canada, USA, Mexico
    Quite a sight!

5. RickB

RickB AH Fanatic

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NRA lifetime, SCI Member, Longhunters LLC
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Germany, USA (OH, NY, VA, PA, WY)
    Deff don't see that every day!

6. 35bore

35bore AH Elite

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NRA,Missouri hunters ed, SCI, Owensville Gun Club, Quail Forever
    Hunted:
    USA, South Africa, France
    Guess he decided against the whole migrating to the US thing... Probably sounded like a good idea at the time, and that's why Elephants shouldn't drink Scotch!!