A question for the Professional Hunters - What makes a person a great client?

Mr. 16 gauge

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
To all the PHS that visit this site: I have a serious question:

What makes a person a "great client", as opposed to a "so/so" or "average" client? What traits/skills do you want to find in your customers that you usually find lacking and would just make things all that much the better? We've all read postings on client/P.H. horror stories, and fortunately most hunts go well, but what is it that makes hunts "outstanding" and one that will never be forgotten?
I see a lot of threads/postings on what makes a good P.H./outfitter/guide (both here on africahunting.com and on other sites), but I haven't seen too much in print on what the outfitters expectations are.
If this topic has been covered already, forgive me......I did try to do a search, but I came up empty handed.

If you wish not to post your opinions for some reason, please feel free to shoot me a P.M.
Thanks.......................

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope to see some PH"s give some feed back on this one. Just may help some clients out that are thinking of coming.

Great post. I have thought of starting one with the same topic numerous times, just never got around to it. We, as ethical hunters also have responsibilities to the game and our PH's. Our preparations, self training, mental attitude, state of our equipment,etc play a major role in the overall success of every adventure. It's not all on the PH. Looking forward to the responses!

Nice topic, I will probably post a couple here over the life cycle of this thread. Collecting hunters tomorrow, so the thread should be well on it's way by the time I get back.

#1: I always appreciate it immensely when I can clearly see that a hunter has put their time in on the range. I'm not talking about once or twice, but literally putting 100's of rounds down range during the preceding months, preparing for their safari. Knowing their weapon, it's capabilities and restrictions, handling it with confidence and making above average shots look simple.

Great question Mr. 16 gauge! I always wondered that same thing myself. I assume "tips really well" is one of those things that makes a great client but I am also interested in what else. :)

One of my PH´s told me safe gun handling was the first step to becoming a great client, not carrying a tape measure in your pocket was also nice :A Thumbs Up:

I have allways said that when hunting with a client three things can happen

1) passing the hunting days like you are hunting with a good friend....

2) that the first thing does not happen but the hunt takes place without any problem with everything in the right way.......

3) that hunting days are a nightmare for you and client.........

Sometimes happens that a first sight is generated a connection between PH or Guide/Client wich is reinforced with the passing of the hunting days......I would call this a matter of skin where the sense of humor, field skills, respect to the others, common sense, attitude, good preparation for the trip, would make that person a "Great Client"........there is alot of chances that at the end of the hunting, the client end up being a good friend of you as has happened to me many times during my career.
This thought would correspond to the first item.

In the second item I have listed I think that is everything the same that the first one with just one difference.......that the extra connection not reached, but beyond that the hunt be a success for all parties involved.That would be a average client in my opinion.

For the item number three I can say that fortunately I can count on my fingers hands in fifteen years as profesional, hunting 150/180 days average per year.....such cases may be for the most diverse reasons......people with health problems taking hard medications, people with very poor physical tranning, false expectations, ignorance of what acctually come to do.......all these kinds of things that will make the hunting trip fails.
And finally just badly intentioned people.
I have had to deal about only seven times with cases like these in fefteen years thankfully

I belive that Hunting operations, PH, Guides and Clients can make a mistake or things can go wrong for X motives........but is in us do better and get the things well done finally.
Sometimes the viewpoints or opinions can be highly subjetive.....I know that in some part of the world someone is saying my operation is the best, but in other part someone is saying is the worst......let me tell you, both would be wrong because I know my operation is not the best....but not the worst.

It is a bit hard topic to comment from a PH but I do not see enough
reasons for not doing so.

Just my personal opinion.

I would say being respectfull and listening are very important. There is nothing more frustrating that trying to guide someone who is absolutely convenced that they know better than you. I have had the misfortune of having this one time. The individual this happened with spent more time arguing with me and his hunting companions, who were great by the way, than he did hunting. It was a bird hunt and as he was throwing a tempertantrum birds were flying behind him. When I reached the point I was about to loose my patience one of his group pulled him to the side and explained to him the way the cow ate the cabbage. He was a little better after this but needless to say it made for a long hunt.

Nice topic(y)
Personally I have few problems with clients, hunt long enough and you will find someone you just dont get along with, nothing personal.
A few tips (free of charge):D
Dont come over gunned and under trained, there is no such thing as too much gun for the game you are hunting, just too much gun for the shooter. Rather bring a good old rifle and caliber you enjoy shooting that is up to the job.
Spend time at the range, not off the bench but practicing from sticks, off hand and field positions. Try and stick to the 3 second rule.

Please do not expect the impossible. I may have the best area and the best quality trophies, but if you want to hunt them it takes effort. Physical fitness and mind set are two most often left behind traits I find in clients. No matter how good I am I cannot get you up the mountain to shoot a Vaalie if there are no roads and you cant walk 50 meters.Often the mind gives up before the body does. There is a direct correlation between your physical and mental abillity and the size of the trophy you may get.
A PH may make a mistake and you may shoot a inferior trophy, it happens, most of us will fix it, given the oppertunity, just be patient if this happens.
If there is a problem with the way we do things, please tell me so I can fix it or explain why I do it that way. It wont help anyone to find out at the end of a safari.
Then probably one of the more contensios points. As a client you may have been to Africa several times and hunted with several PH's, you may have much more experiance than the next guy, but your PH and Outfitter do it for a living. What works for one PH or Outfitter in one area does not work for another in a different area. Like every client, every PH has a diffrent way of doing things. Nothing spoils a hunt a quick as a "know it all" attitude, every PH will appreciate your point of view and input anyway.
If you hunt with a tape measure expect to shoot less and spend more time hunting per species.
Never ever judge your hunting experiance by the size of the trophy, if you do someone else is always going to have a better experiance.

Most importantly, enjoy every moment and dont feel pressured into shooting if you feel uncomfortable about it or its not what you want.

Okay now no one will be hunting with me in future:D:D:ROFLMAO:

Great thread, am looking forward to seeing ways I can improve as a client, we're always still learning as long as we have the right attitude.

This thread can go a long way towards helping hunters new to Africa understand the dos and don'ts

I am not a PH. but guided for 20 plus years. that being said. don't guide the guide. be in shape, the hunt will much better for the both of you. no your wheapon and how to use it. Forrest

For me this starts way before you arrive. Firstly guys that end up being great clients ask a lot of questions,dont be embarrassed and don't assume things. I try and give all the info needed but each person is unique. Ask and there will be no surprises.
Somebody whos first questions are all about the experience tend to end up being great clients.
Honesty when it comes to taking the more difficult shots, just say you are not comfortable with a distance or an angle or whatever and pass the shot.
Clients who appreciate the non hunting part of the trip i.e. sitting round the campfire, being curious about cultures, history etc.
Hunters who do not mind missing lunch and siesta when we are on to something good.
Just a few small things I could think off now, sure there will be other things to come.

As a client I have to say be honest with your outfitter/PH as far as your physical condition and any disabilities. You do not need to be able to run up the hills .....but tell him so in advance of the hunt. I informed my outfitter/PH before I booked my physical limitations and asked if they could work with/around that. They said yes and we had a great safari which both the PH and myself enjoyed. If I get the money they have already told me they want me back anytime. I also took 8 SCI book animals and my best was the Gold #48 Impala. Yes being in good shape is best and makes it easier for the PH. Disabilities or poor physical shape can be worked around many times. When it cannot be then do not try that hunt. Be HONEST with yourself as well as the outfitter/PH. I know that I cannot hunt physically hard like I use to and I must accept that.

Ask questions before booking. My SA outfitter/PH said I asked more questions than anyone and he LIKED that. We still email and they call me just to see what is going on 2 years after the hunt. We have become friends even before/during the hunt.

I do not hunt with a tape measure and the total experience is what I wanted and got, plus some book animals that were just a bonus.

I am currently checking into bear, moose, deer, pig and elk hunts. Some good hunts I cannot do since I cannot ride horseback anymore. I found out the ones I cannot do and some I can by being honest with the outfitter/PH.

I have seen far too many "hunters" who cannot shoot for a number of reasons. 1) Lack of practice: This means you need more than a couple of trips to the range and a box or two of ammo. 2) Poor quality and condition of equipment: Invest in good equipment including rifle/scope/binos etc. A $15 scope is a waste of time/money. Same for cheap/junk binos and a piece of rope is a poor sling. 3) too much gun: yes that new super mag rifle/pistol is great. However if you cannot hit anything with it and/or you are afraid of it due to recoil it is not the firearm you need. Most PH's would say a 257Roberts is too small for Zebra/Kudu/Read Hartebeest....But knowing her rifle and placing the shot properly my daughter took all those animals and more with only one shot each and no tracking on spot & stalk at ranges from 135-409 yards. 4) New firearm which you have little time (or no time) practicing with. AND NO a bore sighted scope is not ready to hunt with. 5) Money can buy you an awful lot of things but not being a good shot----See #1

As a hunter/client show your game respect and also your outfitter. They both deserve it and you pay the outfitter/PH to do a job so let him do it.

I do understand there are some bad apple outfitters/PH but if you do your homework you will avoid them to start with.

My 2 Cents

Last edited:
Different scenarios makes out for different clients.

For me a good or great client has a few factors. I am talking Africa and some of my experiences.
1. Many has hunted Africa more than once - Don't ASS U ME you have hunted Africa enough to know it all or more than your PH and tracker does.
2. Every PH/Outfitter has his way of doing thing in his area - Don't compare your current hunt with the previous hunt.
3. I have never really had any problems but gun safety is very important.
4. Take care of the rental gun you have been provided with. I have never charged any client's for gun rental but some of those clients has given my guns some additional character that I just did not like at all.
The list goes on.

A good or great client to me is someone that adapts to the situation. Someone that can accept the fact that we have been defeated and plans will be made for the next round or day.
Someone that understands situations, agree with the PH / Trackers and follow them and not his own decisions.
Someone that takes advice.
Someone that does not blame every mistake on the equipment he is using or been provided with.

2 Great examples of guys I have hunted with that were great.

Number none
I hunted with a guy in Mozambique.
It was his first trip to Africa, his no1 trophy was a Buffalo. The are we hunted only had about 50 Buffalo in total with 3 or 4 adult/shoot able bulls of the 18 days we hunted 11 days full on for a Buffalo. Each day we found the herd sometimes within 15minutes of the hunt and sometimes it took us up to 7 hours to find them. We even went 48 hours without going back to camp for supplies. We lived of the bush, we bought fish and flower from the local fisherman to eat and he was extremely happy to experience that.

He added additional animals like Hippo , Croc, Bushbuck and Warthog. He never got his Buffalo but left with a great heart, knowing that you have to accept what Africa throws your way.
He never complained about a single thing even if the odds were against us and still left as a happy hunter

Number two
This hunt was in SA, for plains game. The client was 74 years old
My Client had more experience than I did about Africa.
He has hunted all over Africa, CAR, Burkina Faso, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Zambia, Tanzania you name the place and he has been there.

Not one day did he complain about a single thing. I took him out for Grysbok, we spent hours hunting, we climbed to the top of the mountain in terrible terrain but he never complained. He was blessed with all the species he wanted and left a happy man.

I think as a client it is important when there to keep the talk about the hunt going. Dont be scared to say something if your not happy about something. They cant fix a problem if the outfitter does not know there is a problem. Its totally unfair to complain at the end of the hunt that something was wrong at the beginning but nothing was said.
It is also good to let them know if everything is great and even going better then you thought it would. Everyone likes to know if there doing there job well or if they may need to change things up for client. The talking does not have to stop once your there.

I totally agree with Billc, you have to talk about a problem, but throwing the toys out of the cradle each time something goes wrong or is not up to your likngs is a total different scenario.

I totally agree with Billc, you have to talk about a problem, but throwing the toys out of the cradle each time something goes wrong or is not up to your likngs is a total different scenario.

Thats for sure bossie acting like a child will make for a long hunt. A complaint or problem is not about like I am mad that the kudu got away. That will happen for sure and that is hunting. Things just happening that cant be helped is just part of the trip.
Just keep the talking going and not just be all about killing an animal. The more you make the ph part of the hunt not just his job I think it goes better. If both of you are having fun it will be a great hunt.

A great client . I have a few that have hunted 10 times with me and not pulled the trigger cause the trophy was not what they were looking for and gone home home after 21 days after looking at over 150 elephant bulls . At the airport they've turned and said see you next year same dates . They've loved every minute of , tsetse flies, mopane flies , blisters , mock charges , dissappointment , wild chases that came of nothing , fly camping,watching the trackers at work and most of all just being out there hunting .that to me is a great client

Nice topic(y)
Personally I have few problems with clients, hunt long enough and you will find someone you just dont get along with, nothing personal.
A few tips (free of charge):D
Dont come over gunned and under trained, there is no such thing as too much gun for the game you are hunting, just too much gun for the shooter. Rather bring a good old rifle and caliber you enjoy shooting that is up to the job.
Spend time at the range, not off the bench but practicing from sticks, off hand and field positions. Try and stick to the 3 second rule.

Please do not expect the impossible. I may have the best area and the best quality trophies, but if you want to hunt them it takes effort. Physical fitness and mind set are two most often left behind traits I find in clients. No matter how good I am I cannot get you up the mountain to shoot a Vaalie if there are no roads and you cant walk 50 meters.Often the mind gives up before the body does. There is a direct correlation between your physical and mental abillity and the size of the trophy you may get.
A PH may make a mistake and you may shoot a inferior trophy, it happens, most of us will fix it, given the oppertunity, just be patient if this happens.
If there is a problem with the way we do things, please tell me so I can fix it or explain why I do it that way. It wont help anyone to find out at the end of a safari.
Then probably one of the more contensios points. As a client you may have been to Africa several times and hunted with several PH's, you may have much more experiance than the next guy, but your PH and Outfitter do it for a living. What works for one PH or Outfitter in one area does not work for another in a different area. Like every client, every PH has a diffrent way of doing things. Nothing spoils a hunt a quick as a "know it all" attitude, every PH will appreciate your point of view and input anyway.
If you hunt with a tape measure expect to shoot less and spend more time hunting per species.
Never ever judge your hunting experiance by the size of the trophy, if you do someone else is always going to have a better experiance.

Most importantly, enjoy every moment and dont feel pressured into shooting if you feel uncomfortable about it or its not what you want.

Okay now no one will be hunting with me in future:D:D:ROFLMAO:

I would say that is just common sense!

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristyLak

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg