Contributor
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Gents:

At last my latest double arrived.

It is a Rigby box lock ejector, caliber .350 no2.

It shoots a 225-grain bullet approximately 2550 fps.

The specs are as follows:

26-inch barrel

weight of 9 1/2 pounds

15-inch pull.

leaf sights for 100-200-400 yards (yes, no 300)

original scope mounts

with original case and label

completed 1943 for a Captain Stigand

(1943-really? During the middle of WWII? That's what the letter says.)

Bores are excellent. I hope to shoot it after the 4th.

Should be fun. I've no experience with a double this small!!

This rifle will be at the shoot in AK on the 18th. All are welcome.

This gem came from Australia. The first attempt at exportation was denied as the exporter didn't have me sign the following statement for the Aussie gov't. No BS here, gents, this is what I had to do:

"John Rigby and Co. Double Rifle, cal. 350 n02, serial # 18xxx

I hereby confirm that I possess the necessary permit(s) or certificate to hold the firearm stated above in the USA. I confirm that the goods above will not be used for purposes associated with chemical, biological, or nuclear weapons or missiles capable of delivering such weapons, nor will they be resold if I know or suspect that they are intended or likely to be used for such a purpose…I confirm that the goods, or any replica of them, will not be used in any nuclear explosive activity or un-safeguarded nuclear fuel cycle."

Can you imagine the intelligence level of the government official who thought up such nonsense? So, you readers of my books and followers of my website can rest assured my Rigby won't be used for any nuclear, chemical, or biological weaponry. But, my new .350 no2 can be used for safeguarded nuclear fuel cycles.

I'm glad I have had more yesterdays than I have tomorrows with the current state of the world.

Cheers,

Cal

PS. I don't know the gent who took the photos prior to my buying the rifle but they are not my photos.

350 Rigby 15.jpg
350 Rigby 09.jpg
350 Rigby 19.jpg
350 Rigby 14.jpg
350 Rigby 03.jpg

Last edited:
If I was a Caribou living in your neck of the woods I'ld be gettin a bit twitchy right about now..

looks good.
it does sound interesting that it was built during the war, i wonder if there is some story or special build request behind that.

Cal,

All of that mouth breather's nuclear talk reminds me of a statute in the old California Yearly Hunting Regulations Booklet, (late 1960's through early 1970's) wherein hunters were given fair warning that:
"It is unlawful to hunt any game animal with a cross bow or an auto-loading crossbow".

No doubt many collectors of historically significant old London/Birmingham bespoke doubles and single shots, have been busy secretly converting quite a few Hollands, Rigbys, Purdeys and Westleys, (and perhaps auto-loading crossbows) into unsafeguarded nuclear fuel cycles.

Frankly, I think all this mass converting of antique doubles (and auto-loading crossbows) into unsafeguarded nuclear fuel cycles is a better line than global warming, acid rain, another ice age, California falling into the sea, or any other Democrat sponsored "Impending Doom Scam" to freak people out and get more "green" votes, could ever be dreamed up while they are lounging around and smoking their legalized marijuana.

I applaud the gloom & doomers for finally publishing a scare tactic that I can agree with.
So now with the high probability of nuclear holocaust via collectors of valuable antique British doubles, I've been hiding under my bed with my teddy bear, some vegan meatless sausages, some dehydrated organic snap peas and my lap top computer, waiting for the big flash and boom.

Soon there will be mushroom clouds blasting up all over the world if each and every Government does not do their part to make sure collectors of antique doubles (and the millions of auto-loading crossbow owners) sign an agreement to not use these easily converted items for nuclear mischief.

If the world does not explode, I will see you and your new Rigby on the 18th.
Paul (Velo Dog).

Last edited:
cal a lovely rifle (y) as for

" I confirm that the goods above will not be used for purposes associated with chemical, biological, or nuclear weapons or missiles capable of delivering such weapons, nor will they be resold if I know or suspect that they are intended or likely to be used for such a purpose"

its the one used in the uk after the rail gun fiasco with iraq. i presume the uk customs wanted to cover their asses in the future , so i presume the aussies copied it................i have to sign same for any rifle etc to get the export permit from uk to jersey inc a .22lr rifle. not sure how much nuclear or biological gunk that could deliver.......:D

Beautiful little find. Thanks for sharing Cal! R.

Very nice looking double. Congrats on acquiring it. Should be a lot of fun to shoot. Let us know how she shoots. Bruce

Cal,
Another fine addition to your collection!
But.....
I can understand the concern of government.
1. The engraving when looked at through a mirror says Death to infidels.
2. It has a multi range sighting system to deliver your nuclear payload at longer distances precisely.
3. Not one launcher of death and destruction but two.
4. The whole weapon of mass destruction can be broken down and easily concealed in a piece of inconspicuous luggage.

As for auto loading crossbows, we need ban these dam things NOW, could you imagine if a confederate flag(inanimate object) got a hold of one of these things?
I am with you on the more yesterday's than tomorrow's, I just feel sorry for our kids.
Congrats on a fine rifle,
Cody

Cal,

Neat acquisition. Congratulations.

Do you have any idea if the Captain Stigand is related to Chauncey Stigand?

Seems as though Captain Stigand would be an individual of some standing to get a Rigby built in 1943.

All the best and thanks for sharing.(y)

Nice rifle, looking forward to seeing how it shoots. Would be a blast to hunt north slope caribou with that little gem.

Gents:
I apologize for a grave error. I have hundreds of ledger pages here and I got my names mixed up. This rifle was for a Cap't. Bierstead, not Stigand. Again, I'm sorry for my error.
I hope to have targets in a few days.
I just returned from the 4th celebration in the town of Eagle on the Yukon River and the shoot across the river of 420 yards. I used my 4-bore and finished last! 440-grains of black FFg and a 1400 grain ball rolled me over on my back. What fun!
IMG_3657.JPG

Cal

That will teach you Cal sitting down shooting a 4 bore.

nice new addition to your collection...

Gents:
Thank you all for your comments.
Actually, James, I find sitting the mosts comfortable way to shoot a large bore double as I can roll with the recoil and not have to fight it as if sitting on a bench or standing. Works for my, anyway.
Cal

Cal,
Another fine addition to your collection!
But.....
I can understand the concern of government.
1. The engraving when looked at through a mirror says Death to infidels.
2. It has a multi range sighting system to deliver your nuclear payload at longer distances precisely.
3. Not one launcher of death and destruction but two.
4. The whole weapon of mass destruction can be broken down and easily concealed in a piece of inconspicuous luggage.

As for auto loading crossbows, we need ban these dam things NOW, could you imagine if a confederate flag(inanimate object) got a hold of one of these things?
I am with you on the more yesterday's than tomorrow's, I just feel sorry for our kids.

Congrats on a fine rifle,
Cody

Hi Bullthrower,

Elvis was recently telling me (telepathically) that the Confederate Flag is actually interconnected to a super secret Auto-Loading Crossbow Society.

He said;
"If you think about it when you look at that flag, you can actually see what looks like a pair of those all too common but sinister contraptions, pointed in opposite directions and superimposed one over the other."

He also said;
"If you hold such a flag in front of a bright light and stare at it for about 5 hours, you begin to see secret messages, written by the giant frog that is controlling everything from his swampy lair on Mars.

So, it is little wonder that the California Bureaucrats were so vigorously opposed to all these damn auto-loading crossbows 45 years ago.
And, this is not to mention the Australian Bureaucrats only willing to let any Pre-War Rigby double rifle leave their shores on the signed agreement that the purchaser not use it for the making of unsafeguarded nuclear fuel cycles.
(As Cal already mentioned - Evidently safeguarded ones are acceptable though).

It is all so obvious to me now.

Still hiding under the bed,
Velo Dog.

Last edited:
Paul,
I blew my water all over my desk! Too bad that really could be a argument that could be made on the house floor.
Cal,
That bore rifle looks like a hoss to shoot! I really would like to attend one of you guys' shoots sometime. Hopefully I will own a double in the near future as I would not ever attend a hanging if I couldn't at least bring some rope. I look forward to a scotch and some good conversation after the festivities.
Cheers,
Cody

Cody:
You are welcome anytime to attend and shoot my rifles as well as the other gents as all shoot everyone's rifles. The 4 is great fun but very impractical to own, hunt, and shoot with. many show up without bringing a rifle or owning a double.
Look at my website <calpappas.com> and see my double rifle books and three doubles I have for sale.
Cheers,
Cal

Paul,
I blew my water all over my desk! Too bad that really could be a argument that could be made on the house floor.
Cal,
That bore rifle looks like a hoss to shoot! I really would like to attend one of you guys' shoots sometime. Hopefully I will own a double in the near future as I would not ever attend a hanging if I couldn't at least bring some rope. I look forward to a scotch and some good conversation after the festivities.
Cheers,
Cody

Cody,

Glad it wasn't Pepsi, as that burns like fire when blowing it out through the nose (during unexpected laugh) - voice of experience speaking here.

You are very welcome here, as Cal said; "no rifle required."
You will have a big time.

Cheers,
Paul.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DelbertBat

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross