A-Frame or TSX

B9.3

AH veteran
Reaction score
Swift A-Frame or Barnes TSX in 300 Weatheby for all African Plains Game?

Both are proven bullets. I used the 165gn TSX in a .300 for plains game and was very pleased with the results, but I'd go with the one that gives the most consistent groups in your rifle. Placement is still more important than bullet choice.

- browningbbr

I've used both bullets on a range of game, from impala to cape buffalo,, and I agree both are great bullets, and you likely won't be unhappy with either one. But of course, that doesn't answer your question!

If I had to choose one, I'd pick the A-Frame. Not because it's the only one that will work, but it's the one I've had the best performance with. I recovered a TSX (.300 Win Mag) from a waterbuck, and it had only partially set up. Only problem I've ever had, and it could be due to a whole range of things. But I've never had even a single problem with the A-Frame.

I've tried to attach a picture of an A-Frame I recovered from the off shoulder of a wildebeest I shot last year. Perfect mushroom. You couldn't ask for better performance.

So out of lots of shots with each, I've had one issue with the TSX and none with the A-Frame. Split decision to the A-Frame.

Attachments

• 375H&H.jpeg
    375H&H.jpeg
    66.3 KB · Views: 362
Thanks browningbbr, I've used the old X in a 340 Weatherby, but have not used an A-Frame on game yet.. I just bought a box of 180gr TSX and 180gr A-Frame. I'll make up some loads and give them a work out. I absolutely agree with you about shot placement, I learnt that long ago.. As a matter of interest, to date the very best game bullet I have ever used was the CT 180gr Partition Gold in my 300 Weatherby. This projectile was a lot better instant killer than the regular Nosler Partition, and penetrated much deeper. It is a bloody shame that it is no longer sold as a reloading component.. If the TSX or A-Frame performs on par with it, I will be very pleased. I like doing it with one shot.. Cheers, Beau..

Thanks Hank2211, nice pic, reminds me of my old Partition Gold that I use on Sambar. I still have 50 of them, but they will run out soon. It will be interesting to compare them with the A-Frame and TSX. When I am absolutely certain of which one I will decide on, I will repeat tests with 250gr A-Frame, TSX, Accubond and Woodleigh in my CZ550 9.3x62.. Cheers, Beau..

I just got back from my first safari where I took my Tikka T3 in .300 Win Mag. I loaded up 180gr TSX bullets using 75.5gr of RL22. According to a chronograph, they were flying at 3000fps at the muzzle. My experience with reloading these bullets was kind of interesting. I would get one bullet out of every 4 or 5 that would seat differently, specifically leaving the OAL longer by as much as 0.030". This to me could actually be dangerous if you aren't measuring each round, but at the very least it's annoying. I strive for consistency in my loads and so, I would have to 'custom' seat these bullets and then reset the seating die back to where it was. This of course is time consuming.

Now with these odd bullets, just how does that affect accuracy. Well occasionally at about the same rate I'd get a flyer on the bench. By this I mean that I'd be off by about 1 inch from the center of what was sub 1 inch groups. Shooting at large game under 200 yards this is acceptable, but I would not go for much longer than that on smaller game.

That said, I found the performance of the TSX to be nothing less than devastating on the game that I shot. The only animal that I didn't get a pass through on was my waterbuck. The bullet stopped in the off shoulder and my skinner did not retrieve this bullet, so I can't say what it looked like. All other bullets went through the animal leaving a very large exit hole.

I'd be interested in knowing if anyone else has seen this situation with the bullet seating that I have on the TSX bullets.

Hey Phil, thank you for your reply to my A-Frame / TSX post. Congrats on your Safari. . Very pleased to hear of your success with the TSX. I have not had that problem with seating depth yet, I'm glad you mentioned it. Cheers, Beau.

I have accumulated over the years a nice hord of Fail Safe and Partition Golds in .284 / .308 . /.338 .
The .284 Fail safe are up for trade for Swift A frame in .338/ 225gr I
432FF01C-85E6-4D83-97B9-1F6362C47760.jpeg

I'd go with the A-Frames too. I shoot the 570g TSX out of my 500 Jeffery because they feed so slickly and the hollow point is wide enough to open reliably at lower velocities. Barnes told me they would expand down to 1600 fps since they were made for the 500 NE.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlineDu

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross