A 1916 Erfurt Small Ring project

Got the action inlet done today and the trigger slot cut in. Had a days shooting at the farm range so not a lot of time in the shed.
Next in line will be the blind mag well.

Attachments

• Photo2899_zpsyptovm43.jpg
    Photo2899_zpsyptovm43.jpg
    411.3 KB · Views: 175
Last edited by a moderator:
I salute your talent sir! Great looking work!

The blind mag well has been done and turned out as well as I could have hoped for.
This is the slow wedge so that when I am routing it down I know that the well will be paralell to the bottom of the stock.

You can see the block that locates into the recoil lug area

There needs to be a means of holding the guide plate to the slow wedge so a length of 2x1 1/2 (cramping blocks) along each side has a notch cut in it to take the ends of the locating block. The top plate was screwed to these cramping blocks and with the notches and screw locating points I can be sure it will all go back to the same configuration on any stock I care to do the same thing to.

The router guide area cut into the top plate was cut undersize at first and with the stock in the vise held by the cramping blocks I could take the top plate off and it would go back into the same place again so I could gradually open up the guide area to leave the correct size well.

I fitted a piece of buffalo horn up the back of the well to locate into the action the same way as the metal extension does on the rear of the metal mag box. It will sit overnight with a wedged block holding the horn plate untill the epoxy sets.

Attachments

• Photo2903_zps77y6yryx.jpg
    Photo2903_zps77y6yryx.jpg
    335 KB · Views: 171
  • Photo2906_zpsqk6gxf6y.jpg
    Photo2906_zpsqk6gxf6y.jpg
    238.6 KB · Views: 166
  • Photo2905_zpsc359dil2.jpg
    Photo2905_zpsc359dil2.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 170
  • Photo2904_zpskwrefiwr.jpg
    Photo2904_zpskwrefiwr.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 160
When I got to the shed this morning I had a look at the horn back plate and decided I didn't need it so chiseled it out and squared out the rear of the well and called it good. Fitted the bolt top and chiseled filed and sanded it into position then cleared over the top of the tang and left it for now.

I marked in the center of the butt and then marked in for a 3/16 cast plus another 1/8 for cant

With the butt plate fitted like this the mount to shoulder will be enhanced and I will have the necesary wood to do the cheek piece.

Attachments

• Photo2908_zps3juxey1v.jpg
    Photo2908_zps3juxey1v.jpg
    283.3 KB · Views: 156
  • Photo2909_zpsungfgdjr.jpg
    Photo2909_zpsungfgdjr.jpg
    253.2 KB · Views: 152
  • Photo2910_zpsyltfcguo.jpg
    Photo2910_zpsyltfcguo.jpg
    268.5 KB · Views: 151
With that done I turned to the grip cap as that will demarcate the wrist size for the shaping of the butt stock.
With a piece of buff horn trimmed to shape (1 3/4x1 1/4) for a slim grip

a rebate was filed round the edge

and then it was radiused over the top

after which a sand to clean off the file marks.

The holes were drilled for the 2 little brass dowles and it was epoxied into place.

Attachments

• Photo2912_zpsuwfa3azw.jpg
    Photo2912_zpsuwfa3azw.jpg
    280.8 KB · Views: 153
  • Photo2914_zpscwexbfer.jpg
    Photo2914_zpscwexbfer.jpg
    418.5 KB · Views: 162
  • Photo2915_zps1nclqg9h.jpg
    Photo2915_zps1nclqg9h.jpg
    398.2 KB · Views: 181
  • Photo2916_zpsy1zw8ccq.jpg
    Photo2916_zpsy1zw8ccq.jpg
    402 KB · Views: 159
  • Photo2917_zpsluj1qxdf.jpg
    Photo2917_zpsluj1qxdf.jpg
    421.1 KB · Views: 151
With the grip cap epoxied in place the stock was run through the bandsaw but just from the tang back so the shaping of the butt and cheekpiece was about all I can do untill the barrel arrives.

The cheekpiece is marked arround with a chisel but the multiple grain directions means that more care is taken with wood removal with this blank than any other one I have ever worked with.

Once the lines are marked in I found that files were the ony safe way to get things shaped without the risk of having the short grain chip out.

Having got the general shape of what will be the shadowline filed in I will leave it like this un till the final finish shaping is done so the fine edge of what will be the actual cheekpiece is not damaged.

Getting the off side done was much easier so this is how it will have to sit for the time being.

Attachments

• Photo2924_zpsnpmh1rti.jpg
    Photo2924_zpsnpmh1rti.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 165
  • Photo2926_zpsynnpd3wn.jpg
    Photo2926_zpsynnpd3wn.jpg
    283.2 KB · Views: 148
  • Photo2927_zpsj3oagkg6.jpg
    Photo2927_zpsj3oagkg6.jpg
    274.9 KB · Views: 156
  • Photo2928_zps4yruif8w.jpg
    Photo2928_zps4yruif8w.jpg
    449.4 KB · Views: 144
  • Photo2929_zpspzwbttjb.jpg
    Photo2929_zpspzwbttjb.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 182
Looks like another classic in the Making

I decided to cut the two triggers today cut today and ready for when the GS can do the micro weld.

Both finger pieces are cut off so that when they are back together the fingerpiece is a 1/4 closer to the rear of the guard and much better visualy (my opinion) It requires the TG to have a waist filed into it but this all enhances the feel.

Attachments

• Photo2976_zpscbq6uojy.jpg
    Photo2976_zpscbq6uojy.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 164
  • Photo2979_zpsbv7cxfnv.jpg
    Photo2979_zpsbv7cxfnv.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 145
  • Photo2977_zpsafst7o8k.jpg
    Photo2977_zpsafst7o8k.jpg
    333.4 KB · Views: 163
this is what it will look like when done as I did the same thing for my DWM 7x57

after that was done I got the shadowline roughed in on the cheekpiece

Attachments

• 7x57StalkingRifle02-02-09010.jpg
    7x57StalkingRifle02-02-09010.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 229
  • Photo2982_zpshdq3yze5.jpg
    Photo2982_zpshdq3yze5.jpg
    539.6 KB · Views: 150
A big wahoo this morning as the barrel arrived from the US and so did a 100 PPu cases from Australia. I have everything in hand now to get this done so the next step is to get in line at the GS to get the barrel attended to.

I had a real success with the barrel band sling eye. I had a few of the Lee Enfield inner bands that looked remarkedly like a good start to barrel band sling eye so I deceded to see what it would lok like with a bit of alteration.
I found a long threaded piece that fit the LE inner band thread and with it screwed right in to touch the opposite side of the band it held tight, so I could hold it in the drill press. Then with a file, I reduced the dia of the locating screw portion to the dia of the sling stud from TOTW. I also managed to hold this in the drill press on the tapered screw threads and with a small 3 corner file was able to reduce the shank to the o/d of the screw (still leaving a shoulder to go against the band locating screw area) and will get it threaded to go into the band although I may shorten the locating screw portion to the shortest that will allow the swiver to rotate without impacting the barrel. Was probably about 2 1/2 hrs in it so not a bad way to save sending money off the NECG.

Yhe i/d of the band is almost right but these bands have 4 little ridges to facilitate fitting to the LE barrels and with a little fitting it will be move up the barrel for another few inches till it ends up half way between the end of the forestock and the muzzle.

Attachments

• Photo2996_zps8vl9kcjf.jpg
    Photo2996_zps8vl9kcjf.jpg
    322.3 KB · Views: 169
  • Photo2997_zpssloicyep.jpg
    Photo2997_zpssloicyep.jpg
    623.4 KB · Views: 150
Have made a decision on the trigger guard. I had originally thought to use a SxS shotgun styled guard but will use the mauser bottom metal and cimply cut the mag box off it, continue the bow curve round to where it meets the base that will be under the stockwood and cut it square from there. It will require a little weld to fill what is left of the sling attachment hole but the anchor screw for the rear action screw will need filling anyway so not a big deal. I will fit a nut into the under channel so an anchor screw can be drilled down through the stock and locate to hold the front of the guard.
It will get a waist on the bow so that is another part decided on that will get attended to in the days to come.

Attachments

• Photo2998_zpsf8gec0ly.jpg
    Photo2998_zpsf8gec0ly.jpg
    340.4 KB · Views: 138
Got the mag box cut off the bottom metal and shaped as intended. I thought I was going to have to weld some of the sling hole but when I filed the bow to the desired shape it dissapared so that is one thing to tick off the list and then it was simple matter to inlet it into the stock. I fitted the altered trigger from my 7x57 so I could comfirm it was all going to work untill I can get the two into one welded for this rifle. I still have to file the slot in the trigger bow base to allow the fingerpiece to travel to the rear further because of the change in its position.

Attachments

• Photo3002_zpsjtkauhzt.jpg
    Photo3002_zpsjtkauhzt.jpg
    367.3 KB · Views: 150
Wow. Very impressive. I wish I had that kinda talent.

A little more got done after lunch with the tang re-shaped

The waist filed into the trigger bow

and with the t/g inlet down to depth, I could then refine the wrist shape and start to get some slimness into it. I wont go any further untill the barrel in inlet and I can shape the forestock and then it will be a simple case of joining the forestock to the wrist in a nice continuous radiused easy to handle shape

Attachments

• Photo3003 1_zps2twzy1rg.jpg
    Photo3003 1_zps2twzy1rg.jpg
    289.4 KB · Views: 148
  • Photo3004_zpsrjk9lz3v.jpg
    Photo3004_zpsrjk9lz3v.jpg
    459.1 KB · Views: 145
  • Photo3005_zpsbjrfxdam.jpg
    Photo3005_zpsbjrfxdam.jpg
    257.7 KB · Views: 150
I decided to changes thing a little as I had intended to lengthen the trigger when the two halves were welded back together as the bottom line of the stock is .185 deeper than ordinarily it would be with the standard bottom metal so I could have the mag capacity in the blind mag without compromising the strength of the remaining wood. There is about 3/16 left but this was making the wrist a little beefier than I like. It was near 6 inches in cicumference which is way to big for the style of rifle I envisage. The answer was to raise the trigger bow up so the trigger length would be standard and the wrist could be made much smaller and to do that I thought I would do the same as they do when an extended magazine is made. It can be subtle like this 350 Rigby mag

or this Hartmann & Weiss

or over the top like this one

I was thinking of the subtle end of the spectrum and set the trigger bow in an extra .185 which leaves the trigger length the same length and will preserves the stockwood thickness under the mag well.
Have it roughed into shape and was able to reduce the wrist circumference to 5 5/16 but should get down to under 5 inches when the finish shaping is done which will have to wait untill the barrel gets installed and the forestock shaped. This is how it sits for now.

Incidentally, the drop box can be made by cutting the standard box and welding it further down the trigger bow face. (If the available funds dont run to one of the expensive off the shelf units.

Attachments

• Rigby350Magnum002_zpssy2k5vm8.jpg
    Rigby350Magnum002_zpssy2k5vm8.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 162
  • Photo3010_zpsctv0wgbp.jpg
    Photo3010_zpsctv0wgbp.jpg
    353.1 KB · Views: 150
  • Drop box mag stock belly line_zpse6imrwkt.png
    Drop box mag stock belly line_zpse6imrwkt.png
    63.4 KB · Views: 154
  • Photo3009_zpsmg3nrgdw.jpg
    Photo3009_zpsmg3nrgdw.jpg
    368 KB · Views: 150
  • Photo3008_zpssitnsn0d.jpg
    Photo3008_zpssitnsn0d.jpg
    219 KB · Views: 138
  • bw-left-sm_zps9cbdrrur.jpg
    bw-left-sm_zps9cbdrrur.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 169
I got the barrel band done this morning. Threaded to sling stud shaft that I filed down in the drill press the other day and shortened the band nut so it would be a nice compact unit. Because I couldnt thread right up to the shoulder I countersunk the nut enough to get a good mating surface. This should be stronger than any soldered joint with about 4 threads to hold it in to the band nut.

Attachments

• Photo3011_zpsdtyxvinm.jpg
    Photo3011_zpsdtyxvinm.jpg
    361.7 KB · Views: 141
Very much enjoying your progress, already a thing of beauty. So nice to see the results of talent and good judgment. Has to be enormously satisfying.

Was through ot the gunsmiths today and dropped off the parts for his attention.
He will shorten the 6.5x55 barrel enough so he can rechamber for the 6.5x57 with his match reamer then rethread for my action. He is going to reprofile the chamber end out for about 5 -6 inches to give it a mre pleasing appearance as well.
Change the bolt handle, D&T for the Tally bases and front sight, fit the barrel band sling eye I made and weld up the trigger pieces and the lock screw hole on the TG.
It could be a while till he gets it doen so I will have to controll the impaitence till I get his call.
I called into see a friend and picked up a partial precarve mannlicher stock and will finish it with a number of changes. The biggest being the grip end being changed to a Prince of Wales grip and the cheekpiece and butt end will get a major reshape.

Great post sir, can't wait to see what she is going to look like!
Cody

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Donnie58Q

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!