9.3x74r Ruger no.1

Voodooracer

Bronze supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Hello everyone, it's been a little while since ive been on here due to work and schooling. I've been looking at a couple Ruger no.1's in 9.3x74r and am very interested in the caliber. I owned a Ruger no.1 in 450/400 nitro for a while and i enjoyed it a lot, i just found the light weight and ergonomics of the rifle (for me) in that caliber to be a little uncomfortable to shoot. From the little bit ive read I like the ballistics of the round and think it would be an excellent medium to large game rifle. It's an interesting caliber and rifle combination that I don't see too often in my small corner of the world haha. What do you guys think about the caliber? I would greatly appreciate any experiences with it and how it performed on game! Also I'm not shy at all when it comes to recoil, ive been shooting a cz 550 in 458 Lott quite a bit over the last several months, i'm a glutton for punishment haha!
Thanks,
Voodooracer

I owned one of those for a while, sort of wish I still had it. It shot very well for me but then I got into the 62mm version and sold it. Never hunted it but its ballistics are essentially identical to the 62mm round. I think you could probably give the 74 a slight advantage of the two especially with heavier bullets due to its length. I think its a neat round. If you get one I think you will like it.
I too felt the Nitro No.1 came back pretty hard and sold it when I got my CZ .404 Jeff, much easier to shoot, and they do the same thing.

Ah okay, I was looking at the 9.3x62 as well but I kind of regret selling my no. 1 if it weren't for the cost of 450/400ne ammo and the recoil "qualities" of the no.1. I like the x74r because its a classic European/African cartridge and I want to get back into a no.1. I think the no.1 in this caliber would be more comfortable to shoot over the 450/400. But then again my cz 550 in 458 Lott pushes me around more than the ruger in 450/400 did. The cz is just more comfortable to shoot due to the weight and ergonomics of that gun.

I saw a box of 9.3x74 ammo (Norma) at Cabelas for $78.99 and 9.3x62 was $42.99, to be fair the 74 was DG load and the 62 was a soft point(but still?)
I think they are both about the same power level, but the only way to shoot either one is to reload, ammo prices are just crazy!
Been looking at a No1 Tropical in 405 Win, Nice Gun !! huge "COOL" factor!

I saw a box of 9.3x74 ammo (Norma) at Cabelas for $78.99 and 9.3x62 was $42.99, to be fair the 74 was DG load and the 62 was a soft point(but still?)
I think they are both about the same power level, but the only way to shoot either one is to reload, ammo prices are just crazy!
Been looking at a No1 Tropical in 405 Win, Nice Gun !! huge "COOL" factor!

In the No.1 .405 Win, you can drive a 400 gr bullet to 2100fps and 4000 lbs of ME. I have done it. BTW, I see Ruger is offering the No 1 Medium in 9.3x62 and the No.1 Light Sporter in .280 Rem, both great rounds. I dont think there are any out there yet though, I looked a couple of places.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markekcertifications

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you