9.3X74r Range Limits

Discussion in 'Up To .375' started by EDELWEISS, May 3, 2014.

1. EDELWEISS

EDELWEISS AH Senior Member

Hunted:
    US, Canada, Middle East(does that count)
    When I had a 9.3 double I kept the shot short (under 100m); but now Im considering a Ruger No1 in 9.3x74r with a low power optic. What kind of effective ranges can I expect to use it. Is 300m reasonable? I really dont plan of shots that far. Just wondering if its a good idea to stretch it that far if the shot presents.

If 300m is asking too much, how far should I expect?

2. Red Leg

Red Leg GOLD SUPPORTER AH Fanatic

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI NRA DSC life memberships
    Hunted:
    Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique
    If you use a 284gr Oryx or something similar and sight in 3 inches high at 100 you will be 13.5 low at 300. That is stretching compensation a little. With the heavier bullets, I like to think of my 9.3's as 200 yard rifles. The 250 gr bullets will be a bit flatter.

3. AZDAVE

AZDAVE AH Senior Member

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    South Africa
    Last year hunted with a 9.3x74 in a TC encore 310 yards one shot kill on my kudu. 250 gr accubon at 2500fps

4. tarbe

tarbe BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Enthusiast

There really is no one correct answer...it depends on so many variables.

When I went to boot camp in 1976, I never dreamed I could keep all my shots from a sloppy GI issue M-16 on a man's chest at 500 yards. With a peep and post sight arrangement no less! And we only shot from field positions, no artificial rests.

If you practice, know your trajectory, learn to compensate for wind and have a means of accurately getting your range, that rifle/cartridge combo will kill animals at ranges beyond what most of us would consider sportsmanlike.

But, those are a lot of "ifs". Leave one out and the range gets shorter. Leave two out and it is shorter yet! I guess what I am saying is, the shooter is usually the limiting factor, not the rifle/cartridge combo.

I have done a lot of shooting in my life, out to 600 yards. But I will be telling Loodt that I want to get as close as possible to every animal I pull the trigger on.

Enjoy your new rig!

Tim

5. rnovi

rnovi AH Veteran

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NRA, SCI, more I'm sure to come
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Texas, Alaska - hey, they count. Trust me!
    Funny you should ask this question. I just decided on a Merkel 141 in 9.3x74r (*and made an offer!). I'm going with a 250 yard "normal" range based on trajectory with a 150 yard zero. I have no doubt that on plains game under Eland (e.g.: Kudu or smaller) a 9.3x74r would be plenty good to 400 if one could manage the drop. Penetration with proper bullets won't be an issue with the 9.3 - to that end I've already stockpiled a bunch of 286 gr. Partitions.

9.3x74r hasn't been around 110+ years without reason.