9.3x64mm Brenneke

Discussion in 'Up To .375' started by PaulT, Jan 29, 2013.

1. PaulT

PaulT AH Fanatic

My Photos:
    Member of:
    S.C.I. International. Rowland Ward. Sporting shooters Association of Australia. Australian Deer Association.
    Hunted:
    Aus. N.Z & Zim.
    In reply to the above posts;

*post 16 Bebo,
    yes without a doubt no-one is going to argue that, compared to the .375h&h, the 9.3x64mm is ALMOST obsolete, almost.

Yes, components ARE difficult to source and YES the .375 IS an excellent cartridge that does most/all jobs asked of it in an exemplary manner. I know as I have two rifles chambered for the .375 currently, both used A LOT on buffalo, feral cattle, wild boar and feral horses and they (the .375's) do these jobs in a hassle free manner.
    For most hunters the .375 makes the most sense, without a doubt.

BUT, the 9.3x64mm IS NOT DEAD.
    Components, as difficult to find as they are, THEY ARE available.
    Brass from Norma and R.W.S is relatively simple to find.
    With 200-300 cases your almost set for life, bullets are common and easy to source and dies are available from several sources.
    The 9.3x64 is a cartridge I have had a facination with for many, many years and to me is something that I wish to gain some praticle field experience with on the game mentioned above.

*post 17 Classicsafari,
    Adam, I've seen pics of that rifle that you have posted elsewhere.
    Very nicely done.
    What action is this one built on ?
    Also, I am chasing a variety of load data and would be interested in hearing what loads your man has built up for that gun, if that is possilbe.
    Thanks in advance.

*post 20 Karl Stumpfe,
    Hey Karl, how's it ?
    Who are YOU calling short !!!!!!!!!
    (they say people who live in glass houses shouldn't walk around in the nude !!).

You must be the metric caliber Mogul !
    I knew you had a 7x64 and an 8x68, but a 9.3x64 AS WELL, SHEEESH.

Is that your .450 at the top of the heap ?

Nice battery of rifles there Karl.

Cheers,

Paul.

2. DOC-404

DOC-404 AH Elite

My Photos:
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Namibia, Angola, Botswana, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Mozambique and Poachers.
    ..aah, I see you cut the toes out of the photo now Karl.. :biggrin2:

3. bebo

bebo AH Veteran

Pault Post #21

"BUT, the 9.3x64mm IS NOT DEAD."

I wish, I wish, I hope . Understand "I love" this cartridge but ...

My old rifle (used, bought to a PH) : "gunsmith" ? True Mauser action (9.3x64 Brenneke), scope "Nickel" with a true "Shul " mount . I dont know the word for this kind of mount , sorry ..
    Very, very accuracy ! and powerful .. I used RWS Tug : fabulous cartridge. barrel lenght 26".. :goodbye:

Replaced by Rem 700 Safari .375 H&H , replaced by the last Winch 70 Safari Express .375 H&H ... Winch is back !:D

4. Otto Knaus

Otto Knaus New Member

Hello Paul, I very much enjoyed reading the commentary. I will get to Africa one day, neither here nor there to me at the moment I will need to be happy with shaggy goats in Western Australia for the present. My battle is this I also am fascinated by the 9.3 x 64 but also the 8 x 68S but I will only buy one ! ! !. This has tormented me for about 4 years. There are extraordinary projectiles available for the 62 therefore the 64 from 226g to 320g and if I can line up someone to load for me, what a broad game rifle. So I've really enjoyed this thread and will prob go new in a Mannlicher. Even over here in Oz we now have some bigger deer and buff up north 30cal is just not a big enough stick which I have. Whats my next rifle ? you've helped me decide, thank you.

5. Mannlicher

Mannlicher AH Member

Hunted:
    Austria, Czech Republic, Slovakia, RSA
    It is the so called " Suhler Einhak - Montage"( SEM) ........

Mannlicher

6. PaulT

PaulT AH Fanatic

My Photos:
    Member of:
    S.C.I. International. Rowland Ward. Sporting shooters Association of Australia. Australian Deer Association.
    Hunted:
    Aus. N.Z & Zim.
    Otto, firstly, welcome to Africahunting.com

Your comments re the 9.3x64 are well appreciated, though I am still none the wiser as I continue to wait for the firearm to be completed.
    The gun building process is not for the faint-hearted, nor the impatient !

Regarding your comments, I don't think you HAVE to hunt Africa to warrant an "exotic" caliber such as the x64. Those shaggy Western Australian goats will be in for a rude shock after running into a nice 286gn or such like.
    No doubt the 8x68s is also a desirable cartridge, and if you were sure you would not travel and only hunt at home, other than buffalo, the 8mm would also be quite handy for any Australian hunting.
    Personally, I have other rifles that will do these tasks hence moving up to the 9.3

If you DO decide to go down this track understand that getting some of the components can take time and is expensive.
    Cases especially.
    In saying that, there are a number of 9.3x64mm shooters in Australia and that does create demand for components, although on a limited scale.
    Dies are easy to get and inexpensive.

A mannlicher-stocked, 20" barreled rifle in 9.3x64mm would indeed be a very nice !

Good-luck, keep us informed.