9.3X62 for Cape Buffalo?

Discussion in 'Up To .375' started by moosemike, Apr 20, 2013.

1. bassasdaindia

bassasdaindia AH Enthusiast

hi have they got stock of it ?

thanks for the effort

2. bassasdaindia

bassasdaindia AH Enthusiast

hi have they got stock of it ?

thanks for the effort

3. spike.t

spike.t GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    sci int, basc
    Hunted:
    zambia, tanzania, zimbabwe, hungary, france, england
    they said they could order it. let me know if you are interested,

4. Bob Anderson

Bob Anderson New Member

While it was nice that someone posted a list of 'minimum' calibers for dangerous game, it has long been my understanding that, even where .375 H&H Magnum was considered minimum, the 9.2x63 was almost universally 'excepted' and also given consideration as 'minimum'; I like it because it has a lot less recoil than .375 (hardly more than my .35 Whelens), so I would feel more comfortable with it, if possible.

5. enysse

enysse AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Member of:
    Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
    Well the 35 Whelen is kinda identical to the 9.3x62, I agree the recoil is less than the 375 H&H

6. sestoppelman

sestoppelman SILVER SUPPORTER AH Legend

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NRA, NA Hunt Club
    Hunted:
    Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia, South Africa (2)
    Well, not really. They are certainly close, but the 9.3 has a couple of advantages. A bit more powder capacity, its larger caliber, and its ability to handle bullets up to 320 grs. It is a bit more powerful, though the difference is not large and I doubt any game animal hit with either would know the difference if that is what you meant. But it is still a bit more cartridge in every way.

enysse likes this.
  7. bebo

bebo AH Enthusiast

The 9.3x62 is more powerful than .35Whelen ... according to the manufacturer you choose, look at, for instance, the UNI / TUG RWS /Brenneke .. 20% more .
    And .375 H&H 20% more than the 9.3x62. And .416 (RM, Rigby, Ruger) 20% more than the .375 H&H
    Another possibility but, the cartridge is not easy to find 9.3x64 Brenneke, equivalent to the .375 H&H, marvellous cartridge but ... only two manufacturers all over the world .. (RWS/Brenneke, and Kynoch ?) ..
    Another way .. why not the .338WM ..
    An other parameter which must be taken into consideration : the momentum !

8. Velo Dog

Velo Dog AH Fanatic

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member.
    Hunted:
    Namibia (1), South Africa (3) & USA (most Western States, including AK & HI). Too bad spear fishing is not called "fish hunting" or, I could add a few extra countries (couldn't resist weaving that in somehow, sorry).
    Hello Bob Anderson,

If you get a chance, read Kevin "Doctari" Robertson's excellent book, "Africa's Most Dangerous".

The whole book is full of great information in general but also, he owns a 9.3x62 and so the specific part regarding his feelings on that cartridge for buffalo seems tailor written for you (he likes the 9.3 very much).

Dr. Robertson also writes in this forum under the screen name of, Doctari505.

And no doubt he will be happy to correspond with you (if he ever gets caught-up on all the other posts and PMs that people have sent to him here).

Having only shot one buffalo in my life, I cannot say what calibers are best for buffalo, in regards to other hunters.

I too own a 9.3x62 (a true African classic) and I wish to take to Africa one day for PG but, it has not been there with me yet.

With that in mind, in talking to PHs and well experienced clients alike every chance I get, for me personally I find comfort in the .40 caliber and up rifles for buffalo.

A .404 Mauser or .400 Nitro 3" double would either one be a great minimum buffalo rifle for me but, perhaps not for you or a hundred other hunters.

Again, I urge you to read that book about buffalo hunting, written by one of the World's Top Experts on this subject of African buffaloes, rifles, cartridges, projectiles, shot placement and much more for same.

Cheers,
    Velo Dog.

9. Shumba Safaris

Shumba Safaris AH Senior Member

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SA Hunters , Lowveld Hunters , BASA
    Hunted:
    South Africa , Zimbabwe , Botswana , Scotland , France , Belgium , USA
    I own a CZ in 9.3 x 62. It is the short Battue model . I have hunted everything from Duiker to Elephant with it. My clients regularly use it to hunt their Buffalo or Elephant and plainsgame with it. The ladies love it as the recoil is very manageable. My boys start hunting with it from the age of around 12. It hasn't failed me yet . Quality bullets are obviously paramount , as is the case with any caliber. I have had great success with the 286 gr rhino monolithic solids , but I'm sure there are other bullets out there that will also give satisfactory results.

Happy hunting

watman and Velo Dog like this.