9.3X62 for Cape Buffalo?

Discussion in 'Up To .375' started by moosemike, Apr 20, 2013.

1. bassasdaindia

bassasdaindia AH Elite

hi have they got stock of it ?

thanks for the effort

2. bassasdaindia

bassasdaindia AH Elite

hi have they got stock of it ?

thanks for the effort

3. spike.t

spike.t SPONSOR AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    sci int, basc,wpaz
    Hunted:
    zambia, tanzania, zimbabwe, hungary, france, england
    they said they could order it. let me know if you are interested,

4. Bob Anderson

Bob Anderson New Member

While it was nice that someone posted a list of 'minimum' calibers for dangerous game, it has long been my understanding that, even where .375 H&H Magnum was considered minimum, the 9.2x63 was almost universally 'excepted' and also given consideration as 'minimum'; I like it because it has a lot less recoil than .375 (hardly more than my .35 Whelens), so I would feel more comfortable with it, if possible.

5. enysse

enysse AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
    Well the 35 Whelen is kinda identical to the 9.3x62, I agree the recoil is less than the 375 H&H

6. sestoppelman

sestoppelman SILVER SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, NA Hunt Club
    Hunted:
    Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia, South Africa (2)
    Well, not really. They are certainly close, but the 9.3 has a couple of advantages. A bit more powder capacity, its larger caliber, and its ability to handle bullets up to 320 grs. It is a bit more powerful, though the difference is not large and I doubt any game animal hit with either would know the difference if that is what you meant. But it is still a bit more cartridge in every way.

enysse likes this.
  7. bebo

bebo AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    The 9.3x62 is more powerful than .35Whelen ... according to the manufacturer you choose, look at, for instance, the UNI / TUG RWS /Brenneke .. 20% more .
    And .375 H&H 20% more than the 9.3x62. And .416 (RM, Rigby, Ruger) 20% more than the .375 H&H
    Another possibility but, the cartridge is not easy to find 9.3x64 Brenneke, equivalent to the .375 H&H, marvellous cartridge but ... only two manufacturers all over the world .. (RWS/Brenneke, and Kynoch ?) ..
    Another way .. why not the .338WM ..
    An other parameter which must be taken into consideration : the momentum !

8. Velo Dog

Velo Dog SILVER SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member.
    Hunted:
    Namibia (1), South Africa (3) & USA (most Western States, including AK & HI). Too bad spear fishing is not called "fish hunting" or, I could add a few extra countries (couldn't resist weaving that in somehow, sorry).
    Hello Bob Anderson,

If you get a chance, read Kevin "Doctari" Robertson's excellent book, "Africa's Most Dangerous".

The whole book is full of great information in general but also, he owns a 9.3x62 and so the specific part regarding his feelings on that cartridge for buffalo seems tailor written for you (he likes the 9.3 very much).

Dr. Robertson also writes in this forum under the screen name of, Doctari505.

And no doubt he will be happy to correspond with you (if he ever gets caught-up on all the other posts and PMs that people have sent to him here).

Having only shot one buffalo in my life, I cannot say what calibers are best for buffalo, in regards to other hunters.

I too own a 9.3x62 (a true African classic) and I wish to take to Africa one day for PG but, it has not been there with me yet.

With that in mind, in talking to PHs and well experienced clients alike every chance I get, for me personally I find comfort in the .40 caliber and up rifles for buffalo.

A .404 Mauser or .400 Nitro 3" double would either one be a great minimum buffalo rifle for me but, perhaps not for you or a hundred other hunters.

Again, I urge you to read that book about buffalo hunting, written by one of the World's Top Experts on this subject of African buffaloes, rifles, cartridges, projectiles, shot placement and much more for same.

Cheers,
    Velo Dog.

Kevin Davenport likes this.
  9. Shumba Safaris

Shumba Safaris SPONSOR AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SA Hunters , Lowveld Hunters , BASA
    Hunted:
    South Africa , Zimbabwe , Botswana , Mozambique , Tanzania , Scotland , France , Belgium , USA
    I own a CZ in 9.3 x 62. It is the short Battue model . I have hunted everything from Duiker to Elephant with it. My clients regularly use it to hunt their Buffalo or Elephant and plainsgame with it. The ladies love it as the recoil is very manageable. My boys start hunting with it from the age of around 12. It hasn't failed me yet . Quality bullets are obviously paramount , as is the case with any caliber. I have had great success with the 286 gr rhino monolithic solids , but I'm sure there are other bullets out there that will also give satisfactory results.

Happy hunting

spike.t, watman and Velo Dog like this.
  10. 416Tanzan

416Tanzan AH Member

Hunted:
    Sudan, Chad, Tanzania, local
    You might consider a 375 Ruger in a Ruger Hawkeye as an inexpensive upgrade to a 9.3 or 375. Then you can have a smaller, lighter rifle that is legal everywhere.
    The CZ is a great practical rifle but it is big and a tad heavy, so better suited to a 416Rigby or 458Lott.

11. Shumba Safaris

Shumba Safaris SPONSOR AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SA Hunters , Lowveld Hunters , BASA
    Hunted:
    South Africa , Zimbabwe , Botswana , Mozambique , Tanzania , Scotland , France , Belgium , USA
    These 3 bullets were taken from the same Buffalo. L to R . 500 NE , .458 win mag , 9.3 x 62

The 9.3 outperformed both the others by a long way in straight line penetration.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

spike.t likes this.
  12. 416Tanzan

416Tanzan AH Member

Hunted:
    Sudan, Chad, Tanzania, local
    I think I would prefer the .510" solid over the .366", and just up the velocity to something more authoritative. Everything is a trade-off and choice according to physics.

13. bebo

bebo AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    @Shumba Safaris :
    ??? 3 shots with 3 shooters ?? for one buf ?? or was it a test ?
    It'll be interesting to know what bullet will be the more efficient to "shutdown" quickly the buf ?
    "A long way in straight line penetration" : OK but what damages ?

14. richteb

richteb AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SSAA,Military Pistol Club
    Hunted:
    Australia,Zimbabwe
    Not sure how you would ever squeeze 5300 J from a 9.2. 9.3 loaded with 320gn Woodleigh around 2140 fps would produce about 4400 J by my calcs.

15. TokkieM

TokkieM AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    South Africa,Zimbabwe,Sweden
    I am all for the 9,3x62 on any game, sure there are better options, but in the right hands it gets the job done just as well as the 375 H&H,recently sold my 375H&H and now have 2 9,3x62's. One in the safe and one very special Original Mauser Oberndorff that is being re-built for me. 9,3x62 has a few advantages for me that gives it an edge over the 375H&H, not ballisticly, just in general design and use. Less recoil,shorter case for standard action,faster reload due to this and a more compact rifle in general compared to magnum actioned rifles. My other 9,3 is a sweet little Husqvarna, buildt on the FN action she is a joy to shoot and butter smooth,56 years old and totally original. Must also admit we have a Pre64 375 in the safe. 2014-01-15 001 2014-01-15 004.JPG 2014-01-15 001 2014-01-15 004.JPG IMAG0026.jpg

16. richteb

richteb AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SSAA,Military Pistol Club
    Hunted:
    Australia,Zimbabwe
    Lovely rifle

TokkieM likes this.
  17. enysse

enysse AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
    Your gun is very similar to my 9.3x62 Husqvarna, congrats!

TokkieM likes this.
  18. TokkieM

TokkieM AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    South Africa,Zimbabwe,Sweden
    enysse they are great rifles, I know of one that has dropped a few elephant and buff. Pitty the factory shut down, many very good Husqvarnas still being used in Sweden, many being bought up for the custom gun makers in Europe too. 2013-08-06 001 2013-08-06 002.JPG

19. AZDAVE

AZDAVE AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    South Africa
    Like those three. I am currently building one on a Parker Hale mauser action. Just finished the barrel channel on a nice carlo walnut stock. Will post a few pics when I get it finished.

20. sestoppelman

sestoppelman SILVER SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, NA Hunt Club
    Hunted:
    Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia, South Africa (2)
    Looks like you have a little bowling ball on the end of your bolt handle!:rolleyes::D