8mm Mauser for Elk

I say take the 8mm as back up rifle and buy a 338win mag to hunt with. You really need a 338win mag to elk hunt. :)

The 8mm or 308win will do the job. I do agree that you should have a scope, but that is a personal preference.

Zack, do not listen to any of these guys. I have hunted elk all my life and have seen many killed way too dead by the 8X57. ...........and I'm going to guess that your buddy does not teach quantum physics at Yale.............................Seriously, thanks for the post and the fun. Sometimes when one mentions an 8mm people in the Western US assume the 8mm Remington Magnum, while the rest of the world thinks 8mm Mauser.........one is very large, the other about the minimum for bull elk.................................either way............good hunting.......................FWB

Zack, do not listen to any of these guys. I have hunted elk all my life and have seen many killed way too dead by the 8X57. ...........and I'm going to guess that your buddy does not teach quantum physics at Yale.............................Seriously, thanks for the post and the fun. Sometimes when one mentions an 8mm people in the Western US assume the 8mm Remington Magnum, while the rest of the world thinks 8mm Mauser.........one is very large, the other about the minimum for bull elk.................................either way............good hunting.......................FWB

lol even 8mm RM would be a great elk cartridge!

when i think "too large" for elk, im thinking 416 and up. but even then its not uncommon for an elk to weigh 700+ pounds and ive hunted 100 pound animals with my 416.

i know a guy at my local gun range hunts elk at long range with a 378 WBY!

-matt

Hey all,
My buddy just invited me up to his place in Idaho (I'm in California) to do some Elk hunting. The issue is he says my 8mm Mauser 98k is overpowered for the job. I also have a S.A. M1A Scout Squad in .308 but he claims I need a scope and it's a bitch and expensive to mount a scope to it (my mauser has a scope). Any useful info or recommendations would be great.

We haven't heard anything from Zack since the day of his initial post. I'm wondering which of his rifles he decided to take on the hunt . . . . Zack?

Whichever rifle you decide to take along I wish you the very best of luck!

Last edited:
I think saying the "8mm Mauser is overpowered for the job" is akin to saying your rifle is too accurate or the cartridge shoots too flat; maybe... but so what. Here's to hoping your friend will concentrate his efforts on you having a good time rather than nit picking your equipment. I think the 8mm is a fine choice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MckinleySv

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.