8 X 60 Double for a plains game hunt?

Improper head stamps are seized at the Zim border, I know this. I had to open every sealed box and prove they matched my permit. Not positive with RSA

O
Improper head stamps are seized at the Zim border, I know this. I had to open every sealed box and prove they matched my permit. Not positive with RSA
OK... I see where you are coming from. I have not yet experienced this checking of the head stamps on all the ammo...mostly, the guy just looks on the box and sees that it is for 458WM or 375H & H etc.....

Come to think of it, you won't get the rifle in either. The customs / immigration / bribe takers won't know what caliber the rifle is unless you get it engraved.

Three steps:

1. What does your permit say

2. What does the gun say

3. What does the ammo say

If three don't match clearly, your trip is probably ruined. They harassed me for having a 7mm Mauser permit and 7x57 ammo!

Knowing the African continent like I do, this is another problem altogether. SCAM... see what they can get out of you... put the fear into you of jeopardising your hunt etc... out comes the wallet... problem solved!
BUT, your points are valid... numbers and names etc MUST be the same.
Many years ago I hunted Tanzania... I had to get my rifles to a gunsmith in order to get the serial numbers engraved onto the bolt and barrel... not only the factory made "stamp" on the action. Nobody even looked, although I was warned before hand that if NOT done, they would not let the rifles in.

Come to think of it, you won't get the rifle in either. The customs / immigration / bribe takers won't know what caliber the rifle is unless you get it engraved.

Three steps:

1. What does your permit say

2. What does the gun say

3. What does the ammo say

If three don't match clearly, your trip is probably ruined. They harassed me for having a 7mm Mauser permit and 7x57 ammo!

Had you a .275 Rigby on the permit and 7x57 ammo, they would really have gotten upset! Obviously not hunters or even gun people.

Had you a .275 Rigby on the permit and 7x57 ammo, they would really have gotten upset! Obviously not hunters or even gun people.
ABSOLUTELY... what I would do in such cases, is to get an authorised letter from a registered gunsmith stating that .275 Rigby and 7 x 57 is same calibre, or whatever to suffice.

Focusing on your question regarding the use of a 8x60 double in the African bush veld will be incredible to use on plains game..it is one caliber I am going to build myself in a 8x57 JSR double rifle on a 16 ga CZ shotgun action configuration..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
noah8899

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg