7x64

Sauer7x64

Reaction score
Just bought a 7x64. It is my one and only rifle. Any one reloaded for a 7x64 ? IMR hodgdon powders non existant here at moment and are expensive anyway. Vihtavuori and Alliant reloader are the only ones I can get. Data is pretty sparse too so any data any of you have i would appreciate. Currently looking to load Hornady 139gr. Also do you load to the lands or give it a bit of jump ? if so how much?
cheers Steve

QuickLoad Data

It's generally recommended that we seat bullets from 0.020" to 0.070" from lands. I usually start at .030" with Hornady's, .050" with all copper pills. Seating into the lands spikes pressure, no big deal on a mild target load but could be a problem with max loads, the difference in accuracy is moot in sporting arms as we want more velocity at lower pressures as a rule.

This is of course assuming your magazine will accept them so loaded. Many times, OAL has to be adjusted shorter from ideal because of magazine length.

Here's a printout of powders and loads from QuickLoad, a really good loading software program. I selected loading densities from 90% to 105% (mild compression) of usable powder space, at the software-default 52667 psi max. CIP specs are 60191 psi, but please bear in mind that you should plan on reducing the listed charges and working up as various batches of powders can vary in burn and density by 10% or so. This is why the software defaults low, but given the difference of less than 100 fps between 52667 and 60000+ psi, little is to be gained running hot if the accuracy is good.

Note on the "calculated and estimated data" section I randomly plugged-in 60 gr. Reloader 17 in order to run the report, way too hot at 67,796 psi. It absolute-maxes out at 58.0 grains for 60,498 psi and 3073 fps predicted.

Also, fill an empty with water and weigh the water. 69 grains is standard on the 7x64, but real cases rarely come in there. Thicker cases (less volume) can raise pressures too. Same with seating depth because it affects capacity as well.

Note it also lists the % of powder that is actually consumed in the barrel, 100% of course the ideal. This is where Alliant Reloader 17 powders really shine.

View attachment QuickLOAD.pdf

Gidday Guys

Must be a 7x64 day. I'm new to the forum and have a new to me CZ537 (which I believe is a transition model between the 602 and 550 series) in 7x64. I reload for several other calibres including 6.5-06 which is a "ballistically close relative" of the 7x64.

However I don't have a great deal of experience with the long throats that seem to be typical for European rifles chambered for 7x64 even with bullets seated right out for full mag length I still am not close the lands.

I would like to shoot 160 gn projectiles in this rifle, either the Speer 160 or Hornady 162 A-max. Ideally I'd like to get something like 2700 to 2800 fps from my 24 barrel.

What do folk feel is the optimal powder type for a long throat i.e. should I start with something quite slow like H-1000 (AR 2217) or a bit quicker like R-19 or H-4350 (AR 2209) or doesn't it matter ??

It's generally recommended that we seat bullets from 0.020" to 0.070" from lands. I usually start at .030" with Hornady's, .050" with all copper pills. Seating into the lands spikes pressure, no big deal on a mild target load but could be a problem with max loads, the difference in accuracy is moot in sporting arms as we want more velocity at lower pressures as a rule.

This is of course assuming your magazine will accept them so loaded. Many times, OAL has to be adjusted shorter from ideal because of magazine length.

Here's a printout of powders and loads from QuickLoad, a really good loading software program. I selected loading densities from 90% to 105% (mild compression) of usable powder space, at the software-default 52667 psi max. CIP specs are 60191 psi, but please bear in mind that you should plan on reducing the listed charges and working up as various batches of powders can vary in burn and density by 10% or so. This is why the software defaults low, but given the difference of less than 100 fps between 52667 and 60000+ psi, little is to be gained running hot if the accuracy is good.

Note on the "calculated and estimated data" section I randomly plugged-in 60 gr. Reloader 17 in order to run the report, way too hot at 67,796 psi. It absolute-maxes out at 58.0 grains for 60,498 psi and 3073 fps predicted.

Also, fill an empty with water and weigh the water. 69 grains is standard on the 7x64, but real cases rarely come in there. Thicker cases (less volume) can raise pressures too. Same with seating depth because it affects capacity as well.

Note it also lists the % of powder that is actually consumed in the barrel, 100% of course the ideal. This is where Alliant Reloader 17 powders really shine.

View attachment 20941
Thanks For that Stocky

HAHA LOL, nobody has reloaded 7X64 seems. A hornady ELD-X 162grain,put 1mm into the brass and after it, put into the chamber, will not touch the lands.
There will be still about 2 to 3 mm left...seen with the bore camera. So we made bullets with the Hornady ELD-X 162 grain with a COL 82mm, with a bulletjump
from 9mm, yess 0.32inch. Gun was a CZ555Lux.

There is another post on this forum that also asks about the 7x64. You will find some good info there. Loading close to the lands is often not required for accuracy and is not possible in most 7x64 rifles. I load both my Sako M85 Bavarian and Brno M21H 7x64 rifles for max cartridge length that will function in the magazine, and in neither is the bullet anywhere close to the lands. they have extremely long throats. Both rifles shoot accurately enough for me. I have not loaded 140 grain bullets. With 160 grain bullets I use IMR4831, or VVN160 powder for 2850fps .

160 Grain bullets will give you all you need, try Nosler Accubond, 139 is to light and may over stabilize.

The heavier pill will give you better close and long range performance.

Guys I reload for the 7x64. I have completed testing and development for a 169grn nosler accubond long range with 46.5 grns of reloader swiss rs52. Not sure if you can get that stuff in the states. Anyhow it make a nice one hole group at 100 yrds. Dont ask for speed im yet to chrono it. I nearly forgot the length is so it just fits in the mag.

Gents,

Vithavuori N160 with magnum primers gives good results in a 7x64. Even not developed fur hunting a Sierra match King 168gr works well on deer. The main reason a "normal" seating dept is hard to achieve is that 7x64 is really a general purpose calibre being reload with bullets like brenneke TIG witch are NOT tapered like most of the bullets.
7x64-id-tig.png

Brenneke TIG is mainly used for driven hunts, shooting trough bush and wild boar.

FRANK

I have been loading for my 7x64 since Feburary using various components. Since my CZ-550FS has such a long throat, the OAL is restricted by magazine length, or in the case of the 139 Hornady 3.416" so that the bullet is gripped by the case neck well.
Using the 139 Hornady I have found IMR 4350 to be the most accurate with H-380 and Lovex SO-65 falling close behind in a dead heat. MR-3100 (discontinued) had done very well with 154 Hornadys.
I haven't got around to trying Alliant yet but, believe Rl-17 or Rl-19 should work really well.

Try 52.5 gr of Reloader 17 with the 139 gr bullet. Seat the bullet as far out as practical for reliable feeding. This load should give you at or around 2900 fps and be reasnably mild with pressure.

Excellent calibre the Blonde used it culling .....deadly on everything up to and including blue wb and hartabeest .......139gr sst

Apologies for resurrecting the thread.

Anyone think it would be possible to get 2800ft/s with a 160/170gr projectile out of a fallingblock action and a 26" barrel?

Hi Alexandro,

I got, easely, 2800/2850 f/s with 160 grs and 2700/2750 f/s with 175 grs in my Mannlicher-Schoenauer GK 7x64 with 60 cm barrel lenght.
The two best powders for this, un my experience, were the R22 and/or IMR 7828.
Full cases, very slightly compressed charges, normal pressures a d superb accuracy.
Good luck!

CF

I add that in your falling block acción, a modern one I supouse, and due to the long 7x64 standard throat, you are able to load the 7x64 with a very long cartridge OAL. This, plus the 26" barrel, Will five you another 50 or 100 f/s without any problem at very safe pressures!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NickolasAr

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg