700NE Double Rifle - I need help finding ammo or components

It does look that way. There is good quality 404 brass out there aswell so you're not tied to betram

Hey buckstix,

I saw you're thread on the other forum (AR) where you solved your 700 NE brass problem by modifying 50 BMG brass. I have to say I'm most impressed.....

Would you mind posting it on here as well? If I'm right, I expect a lot on here will be fascinated by the process.

I am curious if you considered any other thread adhesives for the brass bushings instead of red Loctite. I've used a compound called Rockset before to lock some AAC 51T flash hider/suppressor adapters for my AR15 cans. Supposedly that stuff, once it sets, is like a "chemical weld" and is very temperature resistant. Just a thought. You're skills are well beyond my capabilities, so I don't know why I am inquiring about your thread locker choice . I was just curious more than anything.

Anyways, congrats on a fascinating solution.

Also, did you just press fit the primer bushing you machines from the 300 WM case head into the BMG pocket, or did you use an adhesive as well?

Hello All,

As you may know, I've been pleading on various forums for anyone to help me obtain some 700 NE brass.

I needed about 30 pieces of the brass for a custom 700 NE double rifle that I'm having built.

I had ordered some Lathe-turned 700 NE cases and was promised an 8 - 10 week delivery - that was 20 weeks ago.

And now I've been told those cases would be another 10 weeks, "at best".

The only extruded cases made are from Bertram, and they cost about $40 each from several sources.

I have these on back-order from 2 distributors, with no idea of delivery. One said it could be over a year.

Even at these high prices, I could not find even a single 700 NE Bertram case for sale - "anywhere in the World".

I asked several custom Gun Builders that make their own lathe-turned 700 NE cases for help.

I asked them what brass stock they use so I could have a local machine shop make cases for me.

They all ignored my emails and did not respond.

Finally after 3 months a fellow forum member, hubel458, came to my rescue with a suggestion and some 50 BMG brass.

So, I set about making my own 700 NE cases from 50 BMG brass.

Here's how it went. Perhaps this will help others in need.

Fortunately, the 700 NE case is ever-so-slightly smaller at the head, than the 50 BMG case
caseredo1.jpg

I purchased 32 pieces of 50 BMG brass for the transformation.
caseredo1a.jpg

1st, the 50 BMG case is trimmed to 700 NE length.
caseredo1b.jpg

2nd, the mouth of the 50 BMG is annealed and opened up to 700 NE size.
caseredo2.jpg

3rd, the head of the 50 BMG case is turned down by 0.024" to .780" dia.
caseredo2a.jpg

4th, the heads of the 50 BMG cases are threaded to 5/8-24 for about 5/16"
caseredo3.jpg

5th, using brass bar stock, 0.890" dia. x 3/8" thick brass washers are made with a 5/8-24 internal thread.
caseredo4.jpg

Up to this point I had to pay others for the precision machining that was required. Now I took over.

6th, the thick brass washers are permanently attached to the case head with high torque and red loctite.
caseredo5.jpg

caseredo50.jpg

7th, the brass washers are faced-off flush with the case head. (700NE FL resizing die is used to hold the case)
caseredo5a.jpg

8th, the brass washers are back-faced (flush with the case body) to the rim thickness of 0.080" thick.
caseredo5b.jpg

9th, the first 3/4" of the case mouth is precision thinned to .015" thick by turning over a mandrel.
caseredo5c.jpg

10th, the prepared cases are polished with emery paper
caseredo6.jpg

However, because the cups of large BMG primers are very thick, much firing pin force is required to ignite them.

This is not a problem with BMGs, or bolt action rifles, but it is a problem with the lesser firing pin force of a double rifle.

To solve this, bushings must be made to reduce the primer pockets down to standard Large Rifle primer size.

11th, the heads of once fired 300 Win Mag cases are turned down to make the LR Primer bushings.
caseredo7.jpg

12th the finished bushing is cut from the 300 Win Mag case.
caseredo8.jpg

the 300 Win Mag case head, before and after machining to isolate the primer pocket.
caseredo9.jpg

13th, the primer bushing length is machined to the same depth of the 50 BMG primer pocket.
caseredo90a.jpg

14th, the LR Primer Bushing is "press-fit" (with 4 blows of a 3 lb hammer) into the BMG primer pocket ( 0.001" interference fit)
caseredo90b.jpg

15th, the case is de-primed and re-primed with an F215 Magnum Large Rifle Primer.
caseredo90c.jpg

All 32 manufactured 700 NE cases are now ready to be loaded.

Total paid to others = $660 = $20.65 per case. (+30 hours my machining time = $620 saved over retail)
caseredo91.jpg

Federal F215 Magnum Large Rifle primer - inserted into the bushing - compared to a 50 BMG primer.
caseredo92.jpg

Case primed with F215 primer in bushing, along side case primed with 50 BMG primer.
caseredo93.jpg

FINALLY... Although a lot of work, in the end, these cases made from BMG brass are far superior to lathe-turned cases.

I plan on making another batch in the near future, so if I can help someone in need, drop me a note.

Attachments

• caseredo1.jpg
    caseredo1.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 217
  • caseredo50.jpg
    caseredo50.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 401
  • caseredo2.jpg
    caseredo2.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 228
  • caseredo2a.jpg
    caseredo2a.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 304
  • caseredo3.jpg
    caseredo3.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 277
  • Pelorovis-antiquus-Nairobi.JPG
    Pelorovis-antiquus-Nairobi.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 326
  • caseredo4.jpg
    caseredo4.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 208
  • caseredo5.jpg
    caseredo5.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 286
  • caseredo6.jpg
    caseredo6.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 251
  • caseredo7.jpg
    caseredo7.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 225
  • caseredo8.jpg
    caseredo8.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 205
  • caseredo9.jpg
    caseredo9.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 748
  • caseredo90c.jpg
    caseredo90c.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 211
  • caseredo90b.jpg
    caseredo90b.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 205
  • caseredo90a.jpg
    caseredo90a.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 240
  • caseredo92.jpg
    caseredo92.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 409
  • caseredo1b.jpg
    caseredo1b.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 276
  • caseredo1a.jpg
    caseredo1a.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 236
  • caseredo91.jpg
    caseredo91.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 221
  • caseredo93.jpg
    caseredo93.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 606
  • caseredo5c.jpg
    caseredo5c.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 229
  • caseredo5b.jpg
    caseredo5b.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 211
  • caseredo5a.jpg
    caseredo5a.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 217
Last edited by a moderator:
Absolutely fantastic! The ingenuity involved is humbling. Nice job.

Again, I'm really impressed. I wouldn't even know how to begin to do something like this.......

Nice job!

Necessity is the mother of invention, well done! Amazing what you can come up with when you have to.

There are a couple of good books out there on cartridge conversions, one of the best is older book by George C. Notle. He even lathe made cases to keep the older rifles shooting before the days of BELL and Bertram

It there is a will there is a way. Great Job!!!

I'm annoyed I didn't suggest this. Especially since I've seen Hubel's posts and been thinking about doing the same with a lesser cartridge to create a high pressure rimmed round. Bugger :)

Hello,

Thanks for the replys.

I've already started another batch. Maybe I'll be the 700NE brass source for others.

The part I don't understand is the primer bushing. I don't get why it doesn't launch out the back end as quickly as the bullet does the front? I suppose headspace is even more critical with this construction? Any worries here?

Pheroze said:
The part I don't understand is the primer bushing. I don't get why it doesn't launch out the back end as quickly as the bullet does the front?

Hello Pheroze.

Thanks for the reply.

No worries. The pressures are the same as with the primer itself. The primer doesn't "launch out the back end as quickly as the bullet does the front" because its supported against the breech face. Same goes for the primer in the bushing.

People have been using bushings around primers for many years, especially with old English cases that had Berdan primers which are larger than Boxer primers. They would insert a bushing to reduce the size of the primer pocket.

In addition, the construction of a modern shotgun primer is actually the same thing. It has a large copper bushing around a small primer in the center.

Hello,

Thanks for the replys.

I've already started another batch. Maybe I'll be the 700NE brass source for others.

Buckstix: If the making of ultra large caliber brass cases becomes a full fledge business opportunity for you, may I suggest you name the business "Big Ass Brass" :)

Buckstix: If the making of ultra large caliber brass cases becomes a full fledge business opportunity for you, may I suggest you name the business "Big Ass Brass" :)

Hello 375 Ruger Fan,

Thanks for the reply.

Maybe I'll just use the name "Buck Stix" ... or "BS" for short.;)

700NE Double Rifle - I need help finding ammo or components.

Hello All,

Well, my latest project is having a 700NE Double Rifle custom built, but I can't find any ammo or components for having the rifle regulated.

I'm getting desperate.

It seems that all US sources have Bertam Brass backordered, and the custom brass makers are running over 3 months delivery, at best. If you know of any custom brass makers that could turn out a dozen or so, please let me know.

If anyone knows of a few rounds available, please let me know. Even singles would help me in this fix.
in the us check C & H Dies online They say they have everything

Hello dwboso

thanks for the reply.

nope, they don't!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marquesgriffin

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois