700NE Double Rifle - I need help finding ammo or components

Talked to Kynock at SCI it will be guite a while before they have any.

Hello Spooksar,

Thanks for the reply.

Maybe I should have built another 600NE ... I've got lots of brass for that cal.

600 brass is much cheaper here aswell. Around £8 each.

Still, 600 isn't the biggest.....

I did see the 600. It's very nice. It's easy to get barrels for 577 and 600 here but 700 is practically impossible.

Hence why you don't see many 700's this side of the water. I did have a play (dry) with a 2 bore falling block mind. If you are getting a barrel made bigger than what is off the shelf you may aswell go BIG!

So, basically, I approve of your 700 project!

Hello Jimbob,

thanks for the reply.

When it gets closer to completion, I'll post pictures of the entire project. Its a "first 700NE" project for a young talented gunsmith from Texas.

Project was started October 28, 2015 with an 8 - 9 month delivery estimate. That puts completion to about end of May to end of June. Barrels have been mounted and in about a week the gun will be sent to me for load development. Once I'm finished with that, I'll be sending it back to Texas with loaded cartridges, for final regulation with that load. I can work up a load with the few cases I have acquired, but I need a bunch to send for regulating.

I had JJ regulate a Double in 8mm Lebel, and it took him about 40 rounds. I would expect 20 to 40 rounds would be required for the 700NE. I hope I'm not going to load 5 or 6 cases and ship them back-and-forth 8 times.

I would very much like to see it. It's a great project and that's a quick turn around considering. Very impressive.

I'm presuming you will be aiming for 1000gr@2000fps, will that be with a Woodleigh or are you going cast?

From what the gunsmith at Westley Richards told me, the bigger calibres are easier to regulate than the small ones so 20-40 seems realistic.

Hello Jimbob,

I'm actually going for 1000g at 1500 fps. I'll be trying both Woodleigh and Cast bullets. I have a dozen Double Rifles and most all of them follow Elmer Keith's 75% rule. He wrote that a load that is "75% bullet weight" at "full velocity", or a load that is "full bullet weight" at "75% velocity" - will regulate.

If you read through my 600NE post you will see that its true with that one also. It shoots a 900g bullet at about 1450 fps nearly identical to a 900g bullet at 1900fps.

Since I plan on doing most of my shooting at paper elephants with the 1500 fps load, I'm doing the 75% rule in reverse. If later I want to shoot full loads - it should be regulated for them also. It also saves my gunsmith from being beaten to pieces by recoil. This load will be about 72 ft/lbs recoil as compared with 140 ft/lbs with a full load.

I've shot a lot of loads in my 600NE at between 75 and 95 ft/lbs recoil and their still fun. More than that isn't so much.

I must have skimmed past that bit. I got distracted by the pictures!

I'd never heard of the 75% rule but it's a very useful rule of thumb to have. I'll definitely keep that one in mind for future use.

Hello Jimbob,

Thanks for the reply.

Yep, been there - done that.

Out of interest what were they like to deal with?

I've seen the brass and read reviews but never dealt with the company

Hello Jimbob,

Thanks for the reply,

Nothing special .. just told that they didn't have any 700NE brass.

That's annoying. It's hardly a popular round but you would have thought there would be cases somewhere!

The guy at the Kynock booth said that they have to order a minimum of 5000 cases and there isn't a lot of call for them. I've ran into the same thing trying to get 425 WR brass from Quility Cartridge, they will make it but only when they get enough orders, I've been waiting 3 years

The guy at the Kynock booth said that they have to order a minimum of 5000 cases and there isn't a lot of call for them. I've ran into the same thing trying to get 425 WR brass from Quility Cartridge, they will make it but only when they get enough orders, I've been waiting 3 years

is the 425 WR based on any other case? Maybe I can form some for you.

404 Jeffery with the rim turned down and then formed might work

404 Jeffery will work or so I've been told. I do have some Bertram cases, but they are very poor cases. I had to swage primer pockets, trim 100 thou off them and they seperate after a couple of firings.

Hello Jimbob,

It looks like a simple matter of cutting the head of a 404 Jeffery into a rebated rim, shortening the overall length, and running the case into a full length resizing die.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Looking to hire Odoo developers in UAE, USA In o2b technologies has skilled and experienced Odoo developers at competitive pricing Consult Now!

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!