7.62x54R

The Bongo

AH member
Reaction score
Member of
BASC, NOBS, SACS
Hunted
UK, Bulgaria, Italy
Has anyone hunted PG with this calibre? Sometimes referred to as the Russian 30-06, there have been several modern guns for sale chambered in this archaic(?) round locally.

I love using my sons on deer up to large lowland Reds up to 140 yards (zeroed dead on at 100), but is it a practicable round for Africa?

It's pretty close to the performance of a .308 so I think it would be fine for PG in Africa. I am curious as to what kind of rifle your son has. Here in the US I have only seen 7.26x54R in Mosin-Nagants or Dragnov's.

Apparently the round was used, in AP form, for culling elephant in Zimbabwe, taking brain shots only of course..

Probably done on a purely economic basis..

I is a powerful round...but really, why bother with this archaic (spelling) cartridge for PG with sooo many other good ones around..?

If you can take reds up to 140 yards with it then you could use it in Africa no problem.
If it is an ex-mil rifle I would check out thoroughly if it is allowed to be imported. Same with the ammo. Some African countries (were) a little paranoid about ex-mil stuff.

Apparently the round was used, in AP form, for culling elephant in Zimbabwe, taking brain shots only of course..

Probably done on a purely economic basis..

I is a powerful round...but really, why bother with this archaic (spelling) cartridge for PG with sooo many other good ones around..?

I understand that the shooters were using captured Dragunov rifles so 10-shot mags and self-loading convenience were probably factors.

Its a very good round and if loaded in a modern bolt rifle, would be just as good on plains game as a .30-06. Paper ballistics might not be quite as good but no kudu could tell the difference. I really like this round and have two rifles in it, a Mosin Nagant and a PSL Romanian semi auto, what many call a Dragunov, buts its not.

Coming from where you are I can understand that, however the cartridge does not know who designed it. Its still a good round.:cool:

Thanks for the replies. I should go through my inbox more often!

Thanks for the advise. I shall check if it is OK to take the gun to Namibia. It is indeed a Mosin. There are better newer calibres and rifles around, but this is still a very capable gun. Unfortunately, the licensing system here makes it difficult to have more than one of each gun in a similar calibre for the same purpose. I could ask for a .300 WM permit for hunting, but may then be restricted to the 54R for targets only.

There are definitely those who get modern rifles chambered in this round. When looking for my son's gun (on my license, he is too young to possess it legally himself) I saw several from entering the 54R into **NOT**PERMITTED** search engines. Who would pay for a custom made long range rifle and have it chambered for cheap corrosive milsurp or homeloads as expensive as the ballistically superior .308 I do not know. They are however out there, and may even be among us.

Witold makes a fascinating observation. It makes me wonder what we may unwittingly do when encountering fellow hunters from other countries that may cause offence.

I am not a big fan of the Mosin for hunting because of the clumsy safety on it. Remember, it is a gun designed over well 100 years ago and mass produced for a peasant army. If it were me I would just leave the Mosin at home and use the .300 WM if you can or rent (or as you might say "hire") something from the outfitter.

The 7.62 x 54r is a fine round used it many years back to cull boar in Bulgaria ....Now SP ammo is available ....However being a Brit I would love some year to take a 303 Enfield to Africa for some culling .... They use the same bullet which makes the 54r easier to handload hunting SP rounds ... Hey you are going a long way 5o hunt so if accurate and some of the Mosins can be amazingly accurate ...

However the point on military rifles maybe an issue however aftermarket stocks are now available .....

Go for it ...... just my 2 ISK .....Note for comparison the ISK is worth much less than the USA dollar ...... probably the value of my advice

I have a LeeSpeed .303 that I would take to Africa for PG in a heartbeat if my eyes could still handle 150 meter shots over open sights. It is my "Ghost and the Darkness" rifle, and few more elegant weapons have ever been built. A 7.62x54r will do just fine. Just make sure the rifle itself is accurate enough. Remember, in Africa, a drop of blood equals a trophy fee.

It will work fine on PG here and I doubt that anybody will take offence due to it being of Russian origin!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silke2404

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.