6.5x55 Swede Loads

Thank you all for your input.
Keep it coming.
264 Win Mag and 6.5X55 are great calibers.

Cartridges. 6.5mm/.264 is a CALIBER. 6.5X55 and 264Win mag are CARTRIDGES. I am going to do some more testing on both soon. Otherwise anyone who wants my present data is welcome to it. I have a fair amount using Nosler, Barnes and Swift bullets.

Send me an email and I will scan the info to you. Put 6.5X55 data in the subject line so I do not delete it as spam.
My email Dougs50cal@gmail.com

Do not underestimate the 127gr Barnes LRX. This bullet is outperforming my 140gr loads in 6.5 by a large margin.

my 6.5x55 never fails to amaze me . I took my 6.5 to the range today , I shoot a 156g @2550 fps

my 6.5 is so accurate and it is such a pleasure to shoot , I'm looking forward to taking a few Impala for the pot next year in our new hunting season .

I have a Ruger M77 in 6.5x55 that is currently having express sights and a barrel band sling swivel mounted on it... I handload a 140 grain Speer hot-cor for around here with 37.5 grains of Alliant RL17.
Load data is here -> http://www.alliantpowder.com/reload...gtypeid=2&weight=140&shellid=106&bulletid=116. I love this cartridge! It has the same heritage, and in my mind anyway, the same nostalgia as the 7x57, even though it was never adopted by a Rigby and dubbed the .256. Which I think would have been really awesome!:cool:

It isn't a "hotrod" round which is part of the reason I love it. It just cooks along at a mild 2,350 fps and shoots fantastic with so little recoil I would think I was shooting a centerfire .22. I use this load for whitetail deer when I don't want to lug the .375 up the mountain. This year however, I couldn't get a deer to walk in front of me while I was in the woods. :(

With a good bonded 140-160 grain bullet like a woodleigh protected point in front of the right powder, it should be good for 2150-2400 fps. I think it would probably be fine on any African plainsgame up to maybe 600 lbs, provided you are a good field shot and practice with it. Bigger if you have the skills of Bell. I have even read that the scandanavian artic explorers used to use old military M96's to hunt polar bear, which mind you are huge and don't take kindly to being shot at. They seemed to be fairly successful at it.

I shoot a lot of 6.5x55 at the range because it is so fun! I Especially like cast and gas-checked 170 grain FP's, which can be had here:http://www.gardnerscache.com/6_5mm_170_fp_g_c.html.

6.5mm.jpg

Loaded to 1550fps with trailboss powder, They kick like a .22 and hit like a .357. Best of luck and enjoy your 6.5! It is one of my favorite calibers... as you can no doubt tell by the length of my response.

Attachments

• 6.5mm.jpg
    6.5mm.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 277
Last edited by a moderator:
great info guys,,,i,ve got a Timney trigger on order,(military Triggers are Crap) and I,m going to give Vortex Scopes a Try,based on reports,,,there is so much hoarding going on here in the Colonies that Powder,Primers and Bullets take some scrounging but I,ve got all summer to get the right set-up
You will not be sorry with the Vortex scope!!

Do not underestimate the 127gr Barnes LRX. This bullet is outperforming my 140gr loads in 6.5 by a large margin.

Desert Dog,

Would you be willing to share any load data for this bullet? I'm just starting out handloading and picked up some of these bullets and some new Lapua brass. My rifle is a Tikka T3.

Thank you!

Desert Dog,

Would you be willing to share any load data for this bullet? I'm just starting out handloading and picked up some of these bullets
My best accuracy node was with 43.5gr of H4350, seated 0.060" off the lands.

Who knows what your gun will like, but I would start with about 40gr H4350 at 0.050" off the lands, and work up from there. All of my 6.5s LOVE H4350.

The 127gr LRX will out-penetrate a 140gr VLD. Don't underestimate this little bullet.

Many thanks, Desert Dog.

If you don't mind, what length barrel are you using with that load, and do you know what is the approximate muzzle velocity?

Thanks again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
glucoslime

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.