6.5x55 Swede Loads

My 11 yr old son uses my CZ 6.5x55 SE to hunt. Most of our hunting is done in bushveld conditions were the average shots are between 70 - 150 m. We shoot 140 gr Nosler Accubonds at 2580 f/s. The bullets at this speed over the shorter distances is performing really well. This rifles is used up to kudu. We use Nosler 100 gr Ballistic Tips for target practice and pest control animals. These are shot at 3050 f/s.

I have great regards for this caliber having two....a Md 94 Swede carbine with 17.4 inch bll, and a Parker-Hale 1100 ltwt with 22 inch bll. When I can find them I use the 156 gr. Norma load in the M94,(has accounted for a couple 200 ld whitetails), and a load of 36.5 grs 4064 behnd the sirra 140 gr. bullet in the PH. Have had a long time love affair with this round, and think it one of the most versitile.....gary

You have a rare rifle in that PH 1100! My dad had the same exact rifle and loved it, and the caliber.

I have a Tikka and a original mi 6.5X55. I have worked up a bunch of different loads using different powders and bullets for accuracy and speed across my chrono. I have data for Barnes TTSX, Swift bullets, Nosler bullets.
PM me and I will send you all the info.
Oh: Put a Leupold 3X9X40 or 3.5X10X40 duplex reticle scope on it and you are set.
I will be gone to the SCI convention until next Tues---Doug

I too love the 6.5 X 55 and have just started reloading for it. I am going to Africa in August of 2016 and I want to take my Swede as one of my two rifles. I purchased several types of bullets so far, Barnes TTSX, Nosler Partition and Hornady SST all are 140 Gr. Currently I'm using 42 Gr. of Winchester 760. I'm looking for a load that will give me 2750 FPS or better through a 24" barrel. What is the velocity and group size of the loads you offered to share with Rob44?

Just as a side note I love this caliber so much that I have obtained a Sporterized Swede for each of my grandchildren. Up till now I've only taken Whitetailed Deer, Wild Boar and a Ram with mine. I'm looking forward to using it on some Plains Game.

My 11 yr old son uses my CZ 6.5x55 SE to hunt. Most of our hunting is done in bushveld conditions were the average shots are between 70 - 150 m. We shoot 140 gr Nosler Accubonds at 2580 f/s. The bullets at this speed over the shorter distances is performing really well. This rifles is used up to kudu. We use Nosler 100 gr Ballistic Tips for target practice and pest control animals. These are shot at 3050 f/s.

I just looked up the location of Cruiser Safaris. They are located near the city of Lephalale/Ellisras which I believe is Northwest of you.

Please let me know what you think of the website I referred you to in my previous message.

I too am planning to use a 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser for the smaller PG animals included in my hunting package. I have been reading a series of books written by a guy named Nathan Foster. He is a New Zealander that states he has taken over 7,500 game animals. The Swedish Mauser was built to use and Proof Tested for much more powerful loads than what the American market provides i.e 140 Grain projectiles at 2400 +/- FPS. I recently read an article written by the head of Norma's Ballistics Department, claiming that the action they use on their "test barrel at 81,000 psi" is that of a Swedish Mauser. Anyway back to Nathan Foster's loads, (note that in his books he clearly states that he cannot recommend going over the loads published by the various powder and bullet manufacturers.) After giving that "legal disclaimer" he goes on to say that with his rifle his loads achieve velocities in the 2700 FPS range with a sweet spot near the 2750 FPS mark. I loaded up 5 rounds each of 44.5 grains, 45.5 grains and 46.5 grains of H4350 pushing a 140 Grain Hornady SST bullet. I checked each fired cartridge for pressure signs and saw none. The 46.5 grain load averaged 2775 FPS with an ES of 24 and grouped under an inch. I was using once fired Remington brass that had been Full Length resized but not fire formed. My next outing to the range will be with the same load and Neck Sized fire formed brass. I am expecting a reduction group size and a lower ES.

You can get to Nathan Fosters writings at http://www.ballisticstudies.com/ Go to what he calls his Knowledge Base and see what he has to say about the Swedish Mauser. I have been a big fan of the "Swede" for over 20 years. I taken a lot of White- tailed deer and some large Feral Hogs using factory ammunition i.e. 140 Grain Remington Core- Lokt. I can't wait to see the results I'll get from a premium bullet traveling 350 FPS faster.

Good luck with your search for Pet Loads" for the 6.5 x 55. Keep us posted.

I just looked up the location of Cruiser Safaris. They are located near the city of Lephalale/Ellisras which I believe is Northwest of you.

Please let me know what you think of the website I referred you to in my previous message.

I went to the range last Friday with three progressively "hotter loads for the Swede. The results were just as Nathan Foster predicted/stated. Using a Caldwell Lead-Sled and my scope set at 4 power the 46.5 Grain load of H4350 resulted in an average of 2775 FPS with an ES of 24 and a group size under an inch. Please see my last post to the general discussion on 6.5 x 55 loads.

Shootist,
Thank you for the info.....
I will be playing with this when I get a chance....
What length is the barrel on your rifle that you tested.
Also I have 264 win mag.....
Do you have any data.....

Shootist,
Thank you for the info.....
I will be playing with this when I get a chance....
What length is the barrel on your rifle that you tested.
Also I have 264 win mag.....
Do you have any data.....

The Swede I used for the afore mentioned results has a 24" barrel. I bought the gun partially sporterized, at that time it had a full length i.e. 29" barrel. I had it cut down and recrowned. The group size even though just under an inch was probably my fault. I had my scope set at 4 power. The first couple of shots were under a half inch. Like I stated previously, I expect much better results my next time out. Please do not think that I am unhappy or displeased with the results already obtained, I firmly believe that a properly bedded Swede can do much better. Taken as a group these 100 + year old Swedes will outshoot almost all rifles currently in production.

I currently own 12 Swedes. All but two have been sporterized to some extent. I plan on giving each of my grandchildren a Swede for their first deer rifle. The first Swede I purchased was in 1994. It sports a 22" barrel, with factory ammo it groups well under .75 " for 10 shots. I haven't tried any of my reloads in 22" barreled guns, but I will be doing so in the future. I normally use a Dillion Progressive Press and would like to work up a load based on Winchester 748 or Winchester 760 powder. Providing I get similar results I'll be able to cut a considerable amount of time out of my reloading efforts. With several grandkids shooting Swedes practice sessions burn up a lot of ammo. BUT AS A GRANDPA YOU GOTTA LOVE IT !!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 264win mag and data for it. Mostly Nosler or Swift bullets. Email me with 264 in the subject and I can scan it to you if you want. Email is Dougs50cal@gmail.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Doug,
Do you have any loads for 264 Win Mag
160 gr Woodleigh ?
I'm going moose hunting in Newfoundland ....
Oct. of this year.....

Thank you..

Sorry nothing bigger than 140gr Swift A-Frames. However if you take me along I will be grad to whip up some good data :)
Truth be told the 140gr Swift A-Frames would probably work quite well. But I do not have the data for 160gr bullets of any manufacture. One reason is I would probably take my 338win mag first. It worked great in Africa.

Doug,
Thank you... I have all the data you sent me that is why I cam back to the 264Win master.....
I have a client who became a friend and came out to visit Rosella and I from Montana.
Seth and his business partner paid for in full, a Moose hunt in Newfoundland
The partner call Seth while at my house and said he is backing out of the hunt.
So I'm going on a moose hunt in Oct. all paid for including license.....
I have no luck..... but I feel the tables turning.......

Robert, if you have time to go to the range yet, I may be able to help you out with some QuickLoad minimum and maximum load data if you are interested. All I will need is choice of powder, bullet (160 gr Woodleigh PPRN- excellent choice), OAL, and barrel length (26" due to being a Win Mag- my guess). BTW, I was born and raised near Rochester, NY, so Wallkill is not too far from there.

Nicholas,
Thank you for your reply....
I would love some data for the 264 Win. Mag.
I took my 300 Win. mag and had it re-barreled by Bobby Hart in PA.
The barrel is 26" and the powder is RL22 or what ever is going to shoot better.
I have not shot the gun yet, because I could not get ammo.
I got some Nosler brass and some 130 gr swift Scricco.
I don't know the AOL .....

Nicholas, Rochester is about 5 or more hours to Wallkill.

Robert

I know Robert. I also used to go to school near Cornwall-on-Hudson also, that's a little closer. Anyway, I will just use the default OAL for the data.

26" bbl, 3.340" OAL, RL-22, Swift 130 gr Scirocco:
Minimum: 60 gr
Maximum: 65.5 gr

Good luck and stay safe.

140 grains Swift A-frame from a 264 win mag will be plenty for a Moose bull.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanMatt

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg