6.5x55 Swede Loads

Sika 98K,

Great trophy, the look on your face tell it all. Congrats.!!!!!!!

Robert

Will try the 156 gr Norma Oryx in my 7mm rem.mag now on a special Nyala hunt in Kwa Zulu Natal, it will have a little higher speed than the 170 gr Oryx and that will hopefully give a better knock down effect.. I hope. I prefer when the game drop in the shot and I come back with information...

Great.
Waidmnnsheil.
what kind of gun ?
Mannlicher Schönauer Stutzen ?

Seems to be a MS Mod NO, was made in 6,5x55 for the export to Sweden and Norway .....

Mannlicher

Hornady Interlock.jpg
Test shoot that Oryx from Norma this morning, and was confused... spread moore than 2 inches... get back and took 4 Hornady Interbonds and 4 Hornady Interlocks as you can see they shoot like a dream even if its factory loaded 154 gr. Will use them for sure !

Still looking for that 6.5 x 55 SE load? I would recommend using something in the burn rate range of VV N550 for bullets 140 gr and less and VV N560 rate for bullets 140 gr and heavier. For long range on goats, I would go with the Barnes 127 gr LRX, Swift 130 gr Scirocco, Berger 130 gr Match/ Hunting VLD, GS Custom 128 gr HV, or Hornady 129 gr SST or 129 gr Interbond. I have a few heavier loads for larger game if you want as well. Love the Swede!

Seems to be a MS Mod NO, was made in 6,5x55 for the export to Sweden and Norway .....

Mannlicher
You are not too far off the mark there. I bought it in Denmark. it was originally 6,5x54. got a spare 308 spool lying around ? :)

You are not too far off the mark there. I bought it in Denmark. it was originally 6,5x54. got a spare 308 spool lying around ? :)
6,5x54 MS in pre-WWII - Mannlicher Schoenauers was only in the M 1903. Because of the straight bolt knob I thought it is a after WWII Mod NO. A friend of mine also rebarreld a M 1908 (8x56 MS) in 308 Win. Are there no problems with the fitting of the 308 in the Magazine, which was designed for 6,5x54 MS ?

Mannlicher

I'm a big 6.5x55 fan and my Winchester 70 Featherweight is lite and has no recoil. The bullet is a little slow for long range shooting for me.
I took my 300 win mag and had it rebarreled to a 264 win mag. 26" 1 in 8 twist. Now I have a lite weight gun that will reach out and touch some thing.
Robert

Mannlicher,you hit the mark there! It will only load 3 rounds without jamming. It does however feed reliably.
I can live with a 3 round magazine for most hunting except driven boar hunting where when the action starts a bigger magazine is an advantage.
I have seen that in the US magazines in 308 are available for the MCA. Do you know if these would be a direct fit ?
These rifles are as rare as hens teeth in this country so any advice is appreciated.

It would be a compressed load at the upper limits of the load, according to Quick Load. Possibly a better choice would be RL17.

I was hunting Aoudad which is a smart keen eye hard to kill animal.
I reloaded 140 vld with RL22 and was getting 2535 fps at the muzzle. I don't think a 120gr bullet has enough penetration on this tough animal. Now I have 264 win. mag. and like it for mid size to large game.

Robert

Mannlicher,you hit the mark there! It will only load 3 rounds without jamming. It does however feed reliably.
I can live with a 3 round magazine for most hunting except driven boar hunting where when the action starts a bigger magazine is an advantage.
I have seen that in the US magazines in 308 are available for the MCA. Do you know if these would be a direct fit ?
These rifles are as rare as hens teeth in this country so any advice is appreciated.
The M 1903 is the smallest action of the Mannlichers. So I don´t think, that a magazine of a MCA will fit without much work. All rebarreld Mannlichers I know were M 1908 and M 1924, which has a stronger action . I will see in my collection, whether I can change magazines from NO (7x57) to one of my M 1903 .....

Mannlicher

Hi Guys.
I have owned and used a 6.5x55 for longer than I care to remember.
My rifle was an old Swede military rifle with a McMilan stock. I loaded for it using 139gr bullets but, to tell the truth in that old rifle PPU/privi partisan 139gr was almost impossable to beat.
The ammo was cheap accurate deadly and very good on game. I shot Warthog Bush pig Duiker Southern Reedbuck Nyala and Baboons at ranges of 0 to 180yds. The old girl did all I asked of her no fuss no bother and very little meat damage.
She was so satisfying to shoot that I seldom took out my old 9.3x62.
Sadly I had to leave the old girl behind in South Africa. On a brighter note I have my eye on a very nice 6.5x55 Mauser 98 cz hear in the UK.
Keep it safe and good hunting.
Russel

Hi Guys.
I have owned and used a 6.5x55 for longer than I care to remember.
My rifle was an old Swede military rifle with a McMilan stock. I loaded for it using 139gr bullets but, to tell the truth in that old rifle PPU/privi partisan 139gr was almost impossable to beat.
The ammo was cheap accurate deadly and very good on game. I shot Warthog Bush pig Duiker Southern Reedbuck Nyala and Baboons at ranges of 0 to 180yds. The old girl did all I asked of her no fuss no bother and very little meat damage.
She was so satisfying to shoot that I seldom took out my old 9.3x62.
Sadly I had to leave the old girl behind in South Africa. On a brighter note I have my eye on a very nice 6.5x55 Mauser 98 cz hear in the UK.
Keep it safe and good hunting.
Russel
Why did you "have" to leave the old girl behind?

Hi sestopelman duty in the UK called and in a word Politics is why I left the old girl behind..
Strange as it may sound the thing I miss most is the LIGHT. In Africa the light glows in the uk it either glares and or has Brown outs as our American cousins call a dimming of the lights.
Man I miss home and the ability to just walk the veld, thank GOD it is but for a season
be safe hunt well.
Russel

its still a work in progress but im using a Nosler 140gr accubond over 41gr of IMR 4350. this load shoots sub MOA at what im guessing is around 2550fps (havent chronographed the load yet).

-matt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeilaLemie

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg