500/416 NE load data?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by matt85, Jun 10, 2014.

1. matt85

matt85 SILVER SUPPORTER AH Elite

Hunted:
    WA, USA
    so as many of you know im in the works to buy a B. Searcy in 500/416 NE. i hope to reload for this cartridge but ive run into a problem. there is pretty much no load data as far as i can find. this baffles me since its probably one of the best double rifle cartridges for a reloader (.416 bullet is very common). plus the cost of factory ammunition is out right silly ($10+ per cartridge) .

any one have any load data?

being that the 500/416 NE is very close to the 416 Rigby in performance, i wonder if i could use 416 Rigby load data as a reference. obviously it wont be the same as i believe the 500/416 NE runs a larger case but is kept at a lower pressure. what are your thoughts on this?

thanks
    -matt

2. AkMike

AkMike AH Fanatic

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NRA-Life ASSRA DRSS
    Call or email Butch and ask him what he did for a regulation load. Make sure you have the sn handy.

3. matt85

Hunted:
    WA, USA
    I finally got ahold of Butch, but sadly he did not have the regulating load for this rifle. he told me he only ever made two rifles chambered in 500/416 NE 3.25" and this one was regulated to a hand load using the Barnes TSX bullet with most likely H1000 as powder.

-matt

4. enysse

enysse AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Member of:
    Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
    Well that is a good thing then, TSX is a good bullet.

5. matt85

Hunted:
    WA, USA
    while I have been able to find a little load data. what I have found to work pretty well so far is 416 Rigby data. seems like most Rigby data in books at least comes close.

here is the load data ive found on other forums. (disclaimer: this is various data found online and I cannot be held responsible for any problems it may cause)

-matt