5 most challenging species excluding the big 5

I would put the Hartmann's mountain Zebra of Namibia very high on that list. This animals got very good eyesight, and when you see them they are already running. This can be a very challenging hunt if you hunt them in their natural habitat in Namibia. They stay most of the time in the mountains and that will make this a very physical hunt.

I agree. It took us 3 days of hunting before I got my Hartmann stallion. Each time, the zebra saw us before we saw them and took off - we usually only heard them running up the next hill! Finally got mine by shooting from mountain to mountain, and he still knew we were there and was jumpy.

In no particular order (wish I could say I've hunted all of them):

Either of Africa's two types of ibex.
Mountain nyala.
Any of the forest duikers.
Any of the bushbucks.
Any of the sitatungas.

Bill Quimby

I would go with
1-Bongo
2-croc
3-zebra
4-Hippo

Joodowd

With my experience I think::

1st is the croc, can never know when it vanishes.

2nd is the blue sheep in nepal

3rd is gural sheep in Nepal ,as the trek is tough on the high altitude and in spilt seconds the target evaporates. patience is the key

4 th is the Markhor in pakistan , now you see him now you dont .

With a fine zeroed .300 Mag or a 30.06 mounted with a high x optic and a long accurate shots , can u take these mountain crawlers .

5th is the Himalayan Ibex .

As all these are high altitude game and of sheep species and to take them you really have to sweat it out. no 4x4s only your feet take you up there to bring them down . But its a experience of a lifetime.

happy hunting

Monish

Dennis,

The post did not mention game in Africa or across the globe , so we include all tough game on planet earth !!!

Monish

Many of the animals have their own degree of difficulty and can vary from day to day.

If we keep this topic in Africa here are my votes from hunting them as a primary target animal, not just by chance encounter while hunting something else: (not listed in any specific order)

1- Sitatunga
2- Giant Forest Hog
3- Lord Derby Giant Eland
4- Sharpes Grysbok in daylight
5- Vaal Rhebok
6- E. African Bushbuck on foot
7- Bongo

What are the 5 most challenging species to hunt excluding the big 5 and why?

Mt. Nyala, Bongo, Lord Derby Eland, Sitatunga, and Vaal Rhebok.

Wild animals is made for the bush where they were given an uncanny alertness. Where are the days that you had stalk the bush buck.They see you long before you see them , one bark and they are gone. I use to stay at Brenton on Lake Knysna where there is several bush buck wandering freely what a pretty antelope.Just a thought Lol.

I would also pick the Hartmann's Zebra in their natural terrain in Namibia.... Hunting Eland on foot would also not be too far behind Zebra.

Some intresting comments, good job:thumb:

The most difficult hunt? :)

It wasn't mine I just stood by in horror and watched :)

Gentleman came from out of State to hunt "big whitetails in the South Texas brush country" :)

fine :)

But he just didn't feel using a tower blind and timed feeders were "fair chase" :)

He preferred to spot and stalk

uh. . . . fine :)

(the man had on a wool shirt...it was 90 degrees!) :)

anyway, we turned him loose and off he set through brush you can't even see through :)

by the 4th night he was whipped. any part of his entire body that was not scraped by huisache or mesquite was either sun burnt or punctured by cactus. not a pretty site. :)

Kind of started asking us if there was really any deer on this ranch :p

offered the blind and feeders again but he passed. :)

I will give him this 5th morning he set out again :)

5 days and he never saw a deer :)

Moral of this tale? :)

nothing, and I mean absolutely nothing, will make a hunt easier or better your chance at success than local knowledge. :D

These days when I show up on a hunt, I don't know nothing.... I ask lots of questions, I ask for advice, I listen to the local's tales and stories and try take it all to heart and incorporate all I can every time I can. :)

I think the process, for me, is all part of the hunting experience :)

Last edited by a moderator:
After reading all of the above comments, I'd have to agree duikers, bushbuck and situanga are the devil to hunt. They can hide well to begin with and can escape just as fast as they come. Plus the duikers are hard to judge the sex or horn length. A lot of times people shoot and sort it out on the ground if they hit the animal.

A common Duiker is a beyotch when you are really trying to hunt one and want a trophy set of horns.

You always seem to see them when you are hunting something else and most are just shot as soon as you know it is a ram rather than "judged" before the shot.

I would also pick the Hartmann's Zebra in their natural terrain in Namibia.... Hunting Eland on foot would also not be too far behind Zebra.

Some intresting comments, good job:thumb:

Toughest hunt I had in Namibia was a Hartmanns Zebra in the rocky hills

I will only comment on the animals that I have hunted as the ones that I did not is not yet challenging. ;)

1st. Mountain Nyala (with a bow or rifle)
2nd. Kafue Lechwe (with bow) in their natural area in Zambia.
3rd. Forrest Sitatunga (with bow or rifle)
4th. Hartman Zebra. (bow or rifle)
5th. Soemmerring Gazelle (bow)
6th. Lord Derby Eland (bow)
7th. Vaal Rhebuck (Bow)
8th. Blue Duiker (bow)
9th. Sharps Grysbok (bow)
10th. Crocodile (bow)

I rate Eland in mopane veldt on foot as one of the most difficult.

Duikers on foot, in their natural habitat has to be up there! A lot of fun, amazing experience in the forest and lots of missed chances before you get a decent shot at one. First challenge is spotting one, next is getting a long enough look to assess the sex and trophy and lastly getting a good shot off...

Would have to agree!

My best.

Vaal rhebuck in mountenous areas on foot can make you cuss in all languages.

Hi all,

I am just talking about the animals and the countries I know .
Dwarf forest buffalo
Sitatunga
Bongo
Lord derby eland
yellow backed duiker
But remember the challenge starts when you go hunting... even a roe buck in France is a challenge....

I will only comment on the animals that I have hunted as the ones that I did not is not yet challenging. ;)

1st. Mountain Nyala (with a bow or rifle)
2nd. Kafue Lechwe (with bow) in their natural area in Zambia.
3rd. Forrest Sitatunga (with bow or rifle)
4th. Hartman Zebra. (bow or rifle)
5th. Soemmerring Gazelle (bow)
6th. Lord Derby Eland (bow)
7th. Vaal Rhebuck (Bow)
8th. Blue Duiker (bow)
9th. Sharps Grysbok (bow)
10th. Crocodile (bow)

fritz just out of interest have you hunted black lechwe and sitatunga up in bangweulu with a bow, and if so how difficult or not was it?

fritz just out of interest have you hunted black lechwe and sitatunga up in bangweulu with a bow, and if so how difficult or not was it?

No sir, I have not. I do not think it is realistic to try and hunt a Swamp Tunga with a bow. If people succeed then it is 99% luck. I am still planning a Black Lechwe hunt but not soon. There are a few other animals that have to go down first.

I have hunted them with clients with a rifle but never with a bow. One day is one day..............

Many PG species,on a bad day,for whatever reason,can be challenging to hunt.On a good day,that same specie may not be too challenging at all.Over many years,the five species that I found most challenging,were all on bad days.The 'for whatever reason' in brackets...!

1.Eland (with a lazy,arrogant,egotistical s.o.b. from France,that shot himself in the foot)
2.Crocodile (serious thunder storm,lightning,millions of mozzies and my own lovely,but not so happy,wife)
3.Kudu (with an old friend's new,unpleasant,wannabe hunter,girlfriend from the city)
4.Mountain Zebra (my own age,exteme heat,a damaged knee and my dented pride)
5.Bushbuck (because my late Mother-in-hell,wherever she may be,always warns the damn animals that I'm hunting) :banghead:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huntingthewoods

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois