470 capstick

Your opinion please ::thumb: You're always of sound advice

Is it a good deal to buy (today : A2 seems dead ...) a Hannibal rifle .470 Capstick for 3780 US$ ? $$$$$:sad:

It's not to hunt, just to shoot from time to time with . For the fun , on the range only but .. but if I get it I must sell 2 of my "classic" rifle :thumbdown:

Is it an exceptionnal rifle or just "not so bad" ?
If I try to shoot with this rifle, must I speak with my dentist and my physio before shooting it (the rifle, not the dentist or physio) ?:samurai:

No more recoil than a 458 Lott, if you load it down to 470 NE levels (500g at 2150 fps) similar recoil to a 458 Win Mag. The felt recoil will depend on the stock design and fit as well as the weight of the rifle.

It's not to hunt, just to shoot from time to time with . For the fun , on the range only but .. but if I get it I must sell 2 of my "classic" rifle

Then my vote is to keep what you have, unless you are unhappy with those two rifles.

I really like the 470 Capstick but from what I've read this cartridge in the field behaves much like the 458 Lott Is not it ?, I have a 458 Lott and I was glad to see it still remains an ongoing cartridge and still knocking large animals like elephants and buffaloes. Somehow I felt close to Africa and safaris hehe.

regards,

Oscar.

Hornady basic brass is reasonable & there are plenty of bullets for sale from many bullet makers. I have hunted with this round since 95, it fares better that the Lott. It's a good round.

Johnny Reb I have no experience but it one of those calibres I don't have and it intrigues me also, so I have a barrel, reamer, on order. Dies and basic brass on the shelf, a 1909 mauser action dying to be made into something, and a decent piece of English walnut firewood, that will be made into a fun rifle just because:D sometime this winter. I hope if you get one you have fun with it(y)

DSC00875.JPG
My new baby..... found on egun ....the A-Square Hannibal in .470 Capstick

Congrats HWL.

Welcome aboard @HWL ! Congrats on the new addition!

Well done HWL. Personally, on another note, if I was worried about my ammo being lost, I'd request my PH receive some custom ordered for me prior to my arrival, and I' order the ammo. Problem solved.

I've always wanted one for no other reason than for who it's named after.

Reactions: HWL
So many DG cartridges out there, it seems like a reinvent the wheel approach.

470 NE is hard to beat in a DG double
416 rigby and 458 WM 458 Lott seem to cover all the bases for a client hunter in a DG magazine rifle

I'd imagine that if I was of humble means and I lived in Africa and if I guided exclusively Jumbos and I couldn't afford a 470 double rifle that I might want a 505 Gibbs, 470 Capstick, 460 weatherby or some such similar canon. But the fact is those catridges I just rattled off are really for saving client lives by turning charges 100% of the time more than a "hunter's gun".

Your resale value on a 470 Capstick will be expensive and you'll spend a fortune on custom headstamped brass in order to get the ammo into Africa. (they don't allow wildcat brass mismarked)

Just my opinion.

Not cheap but there's factory ammo

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/7...ain-woodleigh-welded-core-soft-point-box-of-5

and brass

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/640584/quality-cartridge-reloading-brass-470-capstick-box-of-20

Cost is similar to my 500 Jeffery. I reload only, get 10 fires from a case. Assuming it costs me $2.00 a round counting 1/10 the brass cost, it costs me $40 for a box of 20. Not too bad and how many rounds do you really want to shoot once it's sighted in and you're proficient with it? I like the round, it's capable of a 500g bullet at 2400 fps from a 24" barrel. Most Lott's stop well short of that. In reality we don't need a lot of cartridges, why do we need a 416 Rigby, 416 Rem, 404 Jeffery when the 416 Rigby out performs the other two? Why do we need a 300 Win mag, 300 Weatherby Mag, 300 H&H and 300 WSM? There are always reasons and why not?

I have one but haven't shot it... Winchester Big 5 version with factory grease on it yet... I've got 4 boxes of A Square ammo. Just been super enthralled by my two 505 Gibbs rifles for hunting and haven't decided to shoot this unfired gun yet:) Although it seems a bit sad to leave it in the safe all cold and lonely:sneaky:

So many DG cartridges out there, it seems like a reinvent the wheel approach.

470 NE is hard to beat in a DG double
416 rigby and 458 WM 458 Lott seem to cover all the bases for a client hunter in a DG magazine rifle

I'd imagine that if I was of humble means and I lived in Africa and if I guided exclusively Jumbos and I couldn't afford a 470 double rifle that I might want a 505 Gibbs, 470 Capstick, 460 weatherby or some such similar canon. But the fact is those catridges I just rattled off are really for saving client lives by turning charges 100% of the time more than a "hunter's gun".

Your resale value on a 470 Capstick will be expensive and you'll spend a fortune on custom headstamped brass in order to get the ammo into Africa. (they don't allow wildcat brass mismarked)

Just my opinion.

Reloading the .470 Capstick with proper components is not a problem.

Even cases with the right headstamp are avaliable.

And, ....I did not purchased this rifle to resale it, but to keep it and to use it.

I am not the experienced African hunter, but I think, this firearm can do everything, a .416 Rigby, a .470 Nitro, or a .458 whatever can do.

And,..,with this rifle in your hands, you can follow Peter Hathaway Capstick and Col. Artur B. Alpin into the "Long Gras" and to "Silent Places"....

I think, it can become a real classic.

HWL

The .470 Capstick is ready for action....

;)

DSC01460.JPG

As mentioned, the 470 Capstick is essentially a big brother to the 458 Lott (just as the 470 NE is a big brother to the 450 NE). The difference? The 470 Capstick is consideringly more rare!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThaliaPace

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross