460 wby build

wbysteel

Reaction score
Hey new member here. Wanted to share about a build im going to do.
i love the weatherby mark V action. My all time favorite. And ive been wanting a 460 for about 3 years. Im good with recoil. So im going to
Have a 460 wby built on a mark v action with 27" or 29" straight cylinder barrel from pacnor. That barrel will weigh 8.6 lbs alone. Im aiming fora 15lb gun without optic. Will have a vias muzzle brake for range work.
The stock will be a accuracy innovations natural bamboo stock. They assured me their sporter fored will accommodate a cylinder barrel.
a 500gr bullet @2600 fps in a 15lb rifle should have about 77ft lbs of recoil.

Welcome to AH

Just out of curiosity, why do you want a 460 WBY if you have to weigh it down so much to shoot it?

It was intentional for it to weigh that much.
I was looking at a barrel weight calculator.
the factory 460 barrel weighs around 3lbs or so.
I just sold my lightest rifle a 9lb 338 lapua. It was fun but i need a big bore.
i seen a 585 built on a mark v but dont know which cartridges it was maybe a nyati?
I know theres the .550 cal wby wildcat and brass for it is half the cost so it might be lower quality than 460 brass.

One load i want to test Its the 405gr belted mountain punch bullet at 2800+ fps.
I think the finished rifle should be under 3,000$..

wbysteel, first off welcome to the forum, a lot of collective knowledge on Africa and guns.

Personally if recoil is not an issue for you, I would have your smith turn the barrel down to drop some (overall) weight. 10-12lbs with optics. I have seen some straight barrels in 458wm done by a local smith and they look like the should be mounted on the back of a Jeep. If it's what you want though, enjoy and I would like to see some pics.

Would really like to see some pics of the bamboo stock, I love bamboo, the back yard is full of it.:D

Regardless, good luck on you build and again, welcome to the forum.

If it was parkerized or similar it would look like a sewer pipe.
but in stainless i think she'll look good. Going with a 8 oz mercury recoil reducer. Not for recoil reason but to help balance it out with long barrel.

Might not go with a muzzle brake. Still got a while to decided.

I guess, I would try to keep the gun weight down to 12 pounds. I guess most people would say a long barrel is not a good idea either, it will catch all sorts of brush and might be a problem in a tight situation. A good 458 Win or 458 Lott is plenty.

You know some think a 45/70 is plenty to haha. But i dont plan on hunting wetnewspaper either. Im a big Roy wby fan and what not.
im going to talk to wayne of ahr see what he thinks about the .55 wby as it should be called . Google 550 magnum it pulls up cz usa not the wildcat.
The 55 cal slings a 700gr bullet at 2400 fps. But there are more 458 they'll bullets. I dont plan on taking it into the brush. Im going to punch big holes in small hogs and maybe a elk. Its almost like having a compact 50 bmg. I looked into the mrc ph action. But i didnt like that dangerous game rifle where the magazine makes the stock look dis proportioned

Sounds like a hell of a gun! As long as I dont have to pack it, knock yourself out!!! (I guess that is what gun bearers are for) LOL. Love to see pics when done.

Im giving the .550 magnum wildcat a thought to. I mean it wouldn't make the rifle any bulkier. 2rd magazine like the factory 378 based calibres.
Gotta to contact some people and get more details on the build.
If i remember i will post pictures it will be awhile. Id like to go on a texas dall hunt with it next yeat.

Just curious,

where in Texas do you propose to hunt dall sheep?

Dont know yet

San Antonio Zoo maybe.

The Russians had a little two-wheel cart which they used to haul around their maxim machine guns in WWI - might work for a rifle that heavy. But seriously, and I realize you are obviously enamored with the project, but if someone asked me to come up with the world's least practical big bore, it wouldn't be far off from what you are describing.

Just curious,

where in Texas do you propose to hunt dall sheep?

Not sure if you are questioning where he plans to hunt it or their existance. Texas Dall sheep are in no way related to wild Dall sheep but they do exist there, most ranches have them. The one in the pic appears to not have seen a ewe in awhile.

View attachment 12445

Diamondhitch

It was a non-specific question. Just curious.

Until this reading I had no idea that there were any Dall sheep indigenous to Texas nor was I aware of the existence of the subspecies "Texas Dall" I was unable to open the attachment to your last post.

There are a very few Desert Big Horn Sheep in the mountains of far West Texas and there was a very small group that moved back and forth through the ranch there,

However, Big Horn sheep hunting in Texas is closely controlled by Texas Parks and Wildlife and a spotty proposition at best.

There are two (2) permits issued each year, one is a drawn, non-transferable permit that about 2/3 of the State put in for so the odds are, at best, pretty long. The other permit is auctioned and normally brings in an incredible sum.

Don't hold me to this but the last I recall that number was something between $250,000 and $400,000.

And they do not issue permits every year

However, what I was considering in this thread was how one would actually pack that sort of weapon across West Texas?

Diamondhitch

It was a non-specific question. Just curious.

Until this reading I had no idea that there were any Dall sheep indigenous to Texas nor was I aware of the existence of the subspecies "Texas Dall" I was unable to open the attachment to your last post.

There are a very few Desert Big Horn Sheep in the mountains of far West Texas and there was a very small group that moved back and forth through the ranch there,

However, Big Horn sheep hunting in Texas is closely controlled by Texas Parks and Wildlife and a spotty proposition at best.

There are two (2) permits issued each year, one is a drawn, non-transferable permit that about 2/3 of the State put in for so the odds are, at best, pretty long. The other permit is auctioned and normally brings in an incredible sum.

Don't hold me to this but the last I recall that number was something between $250,000 and $400,000.

And they do not issue permits every year

However, what I was considering in this thread was how one would actually pack that sort of weapon across West Texas?

They are not indigenous, They look like a white Corsican sheep. How about a Black Hawiian sheep? They have plenty of them too! (Game ranches that is)

As for packing it across Texas I think Red Leg hit the nail on the head with his machine gun cart! After packing plenty of guns up and down the mountains and noticing a huge difference between carrying a 7lb and 9lb gun I cant imagine a 15lb+ gun.

If Wbysteel does build it I would relegate it to the bench and have fun blowing stuff up with it! A 460 gopher gun sounds fun! Rockchucks, I can only imagine the blood stain! :D

I can tell you with some authority, if you are going to hunt some place like the Chisos Mtns in West Texas you need two things

the first is a ultra Light-weight mountain rifle, about 6 lbs. that can hit hard out to about 500 yds, and;

someone to carry it for you!

It is hot and dry, mostly uphill and all rocky except when a Norther blows in and the temp drops 60 degrees in 20 minutes and I am not even going to discuss the blinding sand storms

If it rains 50 miles away and you are down in a draw you will drown, if you fall down and break something you will die, if you get lost you will probably die, if you get bit by a snake you will probably die . . . . do you see a pattern here?

Other than that the country is breath-takingly beautiful and the hunting is great

The price i got for a texas dall hunt was 1400$?
To me its not about weight but balance.
waiting to hear back from pacnor about doing the smith work on my action while they make the barrel. Mpi said they can make a fiberglass stock and weight the but.

I am still confused about this "Texas Dall" thing.... I can find no information on such an animal

but, there is not much you can shoot in Texas for $1,400 and for that price I think we have ruled out a Desert Big Horn.

Perhaps you are referring to a feral Spanish goat, there are few of those down by 'Angelo but I think you can pick one up at the sale barn for about $75

Not trying to hijack the thread just trying to keep updated on all the flora and fauna of Texas

News Flash

Got the phone call ....Mystery solved

The "Texas Dall" sheep you refer to does indeed exist

It is a cross between a Mouflon and a Rambouilet

Commonly referred to as a snow sheep because of their white color

Commercially adapted nomenclature for marketing purposes only

Not indigenous to Texas, Not a wild animal and not considered a game animal by TP&W

Several ranches in the western Texas hill country offer "canned" hunts for them

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LucaFitzgi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross