458 lott bullet selection

taskmastermaren

Reaction score
Hunted
Canada (AB), Namibia, South Africa, New Zealand, Scotland
My Buff rifle arrived this weekend, CZ 550 safari in 458 Lott, my bullet choice to test is barnes TSX 500GR and North fork CPS 450Gr. Also got some Hornady 500gr DGS. We will see how they shoot this spring as i will develop some loads. Might get a chance to test on spring bear wondering suggested loads for the above ?? anyone use this combo?

My Buff rifle arrived this weekend, CZ 550 safari in 458 Lott, my bullet choice to test is barnes TSX 500GR and North fork CPS 450Gr. Also got some Hornady 500gr DGS. We will see how they shoot this spring as i will develop some loads. Might get a chance to test on spring bear wondering suggested loads for the above ?? anyone use this combo?

First off Welcome to the forum and the new rifle!!

I have a custom Win 70 in 458 Lott that I hand load for. Been using both the 500 gr DGX & DGS and have been very happy with performance. Running a compressed load and found what she eats best after a few trips to the range. Once I get my reloading book out I will shoot you a PM of the brews that have worked best for me.

Nathan

You also should consider the new CEB bullets. Both the HP's and the solids are top quality.

Welcome to the forum. :welcome:

Congratulations on your new rifle.

Welcome to AH. If North Fork makes their bonded cores in .458, I'd look at those too for a first shot. For load info, don't hesitate to call or email them, super nice gents there.

The Barnes manual is might only suggestion for their offerings.

One other bullet suggestion would be the brass bullets from Cutting Edge Bullets. I don't have load info for you but I know where I can get it. Just let me know if you're interested.

Welcome to AH. If North Fork makes their bonded cores in .458, I'd look at those too for a first shot. For load info, don't hesitate to call or email them, super nice gents there.

The Barnes manual is might only suggestion for their offerings.

One other bullet suggestion would be the brass bullets from Cutting Edge Bullets. I don't have load info for you but I know where I can get it. Just let me know if you're interested.

Thanks,

Some people have raised concern about the brass bullets leaving material build up in the barrel? I have not any experience with these myself, what is your opinion?

Thank you all for the warm welcome. I have frequented this site quite a bit for valuable information in the past but had not joined until now. Posting is new for me, so just getting this all figured out.

Thanks,

Some people have raised concern about the brass bullets leaving material build up in the barrel? I have not any experience with these myself, what is your opinion?

To date I have in excess of 300+ pure brass C.E.B Safari Raptors down the tube of my .50cal wildcat with absolutely no signs of any metal fouling whatsoever.
Infact (and I'm almost ashamed to admit it), I only just recently cleaned the barrel out for the very first time at the end of the previous hunting season and was shocked by just how little debri was found and how easy, and quick, it was get get clean jags comming back through after only a brief clean.

Weather this can be attributed to the quality of the barrel (Pacnor) I cannot say, but I'm also running the C.E.B brass Raptors exclusively through my Verney Carron double .500 with the same non-issues regarding build-up.

To be perferctly honest, even IF these brass slugs DID leave some fouling I would tolerate it based purely on their extreme performance on game.

Straight line & deep penetration, less pressure, less barrel strain, increased velocities and extreme preformance on game in the field !

Cheers,

Paul.

To date I have in excess of 300+ pure brass C.E.B Safari Raptors down the tube of my .50cal wildcat with absolutely no signs of any metal fouling whatsoever.
Infact (and I'm almost ashamed to admit it), I only just recently cleaned the barrel out for the very first time at the end of the previous hunting season and was shocked by just how little debri was found and how easy, and quick, it was get get clean jags comming back through after only a brief clean.

Weather this can be attributed to the quality of the barrel (Pacnor) I cannot say, but I'm also running the C.E.B brass Raptors exclusively through my Verney Carron double .500 with the same non-issues regarding build-up.

To be perferctly honest, even IF these brass slugs DID leave some fouling I would tolerate it based purely on their extreme performance on game.

Straight line & deep penetration, less pressure, less barrel strain, increased velocities and extreme preformance on game in the field !

Cheers,

Paul.

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner task, but I'd concur with Paul's findings. I don't have quite as many rounds through my .458B&M, but there's no visual signs looking into the muzzle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gilbert89L

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross