450/400 NE load data?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by matt85, Apr 3, 2014.

1. matt85

matt85 SILVER SUPPORTER AH Elite

Hunted:
    WA, USA
    so far the only load data I can find for the 450/400 NE cartridge is in my Hornady book and the info is pretty limited in there.

does any one have any load data for the 450/400 NE cartridge? pet loads would be welcome as well!

the gun im looking at is regulated to the hornady DGX/DGS cartridge but im hoping to imitate it with Woodleigh bullets (i do not trust hornady DGX bullets).

thanks
    -matt

2. Uintaelkhunter

Uintaelkhunter AH Veteran

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    RSA,Mozambique,Zim,USA,Asia
    Matt if your looking at a double get graem wrights book shooting the British double it has load data but more important it explains how to work up loads and regulate for a double. I have found no other book for double rifle load data to work like this.

Each double is a little different and if it was regulated with hornady it may or may not shoot with the same load with woodleigh bullets in my experience my double shoots the same with ether but my load will change a bit from colder to warmer temps so I have a few loads that regulate for both

3. AkMike

AkMike AH Fanatic

My Photos:
    Member of:
    NRA-Life ASSRA DRSS
    +1 on Graeme Wrights Book! it''ll have what you need to load and understand a DR.

4. hunteratheart

hunteratheart AH Member

Member of:
    DRSS,NAHC
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Zimbabwe
    Matt,
    I use 77gr of IMR4831 and a CCI 250 primer for 400 gr DGS/DGX ( mimics factory loads). I use 78gr of IMR4831 and a CCI 250 primer for my 400 gr Dead Tough Softs.
    Steve

5. hunteratheart

hunteratheart AH Member

Member of:
    DRSS,NAHC
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Zimbabwe
    P.S. DGX/DGS are cheap enough for practice and the loads above are what I use in my double.

6. matt85

Hunted:
    WA, USA
    thanks hunteratheart. could you tell me a little more about the solids you use?

side note: i personally don't like the DGX bullet. its the year 2014 and we shouldn't be using non-bonded soft point bullets on dangerous game. the DGX is probably fine for hogs, elk, moose, and other non-dangerous game but i don't see it holding together as well as a bonded bullet. both Woodleigh and Swift manufacture a bonded .410 400gr bullet, either of which would be far superior to the DGX.

-matt

7. hunteratheart

hunteratheart AH Member

Member of:
    DRSS,NAHC
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Zimbabwe
    Solids are straight out DGS. Haven't found need to change them out. DGX are obviously a different story.

8. huntsolo101

huntsolo101 AH Ambassador

My Photos:
    Member of:
    SCI , NRA, Wisconsin Bowhunters, SCI Wisconsin Chapter,
    Hunted:
    usa, canada, south africa, namibia
    I use 400 grain woodleigh bullets , 72.5 grains of imr4007 ssc , 215m primers. Out of my ruger one the velocity is 2025. At 100 yards I get 3 shot groups the size of my thumbnail. I buy my bullets from huntington's. I found some cases online by doing many searches of the box # 86934. I bought the 4 boxes I found.

9. matt85

Hunted:
    WA, USA
    on the topic of cost, the Woodleigh 400gr bullets are only slightly more expensive then Hornady 400gr bullets (an extra $10 per box).

between woodleigh and swift i would pick swift for DG. in the end though it will depend on what i can get to shoot well. if the only bullet i can get to shoot well is the hornady DGX then ill be forced to use them.

-matt

10. matt85

Hunted:
    WA, USA
    my copy of "shooting the british double rifle" showed up today and has already proved very informative. I will spend more time reading threw the book when I find more free time.

thank you
    -matt

11. Steve Steyr

Steve Steyr AH Senior Member

Also check on the website realguns.com. He does a good wring out on reloading the Ruger #1 in 450/400 3".