444 Marlin?

poprivit

AH senior member
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I just traded for an unfired H&R Handi Rifle in 444 Marlin. It came with two boxes of Hornady 265-gr ammo. What's your general opinion of these rifles in this caliber?

BTW: I know the scope is worth more than the rifle. I just had it on hand. It was bought years ago when Leupold had a custom shop at reasonable prices.
L1010636.jpg

It's a great caliber for most things in North America at reasonable ranges. Would probably serve well on plains game as well. It would make a nearly ideal stand rifle for black bear. I've shot a couple of Handi Rifles. Both seemed to be solidly built and accurate. Triggers left a little to be desired but that can be addressed if it is an issue. Enjoy!

.444 is a great woods cal for pigs, deer and black bear. Never had a Handi Rifle, but did own a .444 Marlin lever action for a while. Shot minute of deer at 100 yards. Only potential issues in Africa are its range limitations and making sure that you are using a tough enough bullet to penetrate. The BC on the original 240 gr .444 was/is pretty awful. Lots of frontal diameter though. I have no experience with the leverevolution rounds by Hornady though I believe the 265 gr bullet gets BC above 200. Probably the right round to use on PG.

.444 Marlin's popularity wore off quick, but I agree with Red Leg, great for pigs, deer black bear or anything else at short range.

h5uz278.jpg

Two hundred yards with a handgun.

i23ud-216.jpg

A 260 grain Hornady FTX bullet hit this cull Kudu on the shoulder and went right on through.

I've never used a Handi Rifle but if accuracy is accepable, it should work just fine.

Attachments

• i23ud-216.jpg
    i23ud-216.jpg
    269.6 KB · Views: 181
  • h5uz278.jpg
    h5uz278.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 204
With a handgun that is incredible accuracy!!! I sure couldn't do it.

That is good shooting for a hand gun for sure! Bet Edward could do it!

i havent heard much about this cartridge so i just did some quick reading. from what i gather its basically just a longer more powerful 44 magnum. i imagine it should be a great close range medium game cartridge!

i dont think there is anything in North America i wouldn't use it on and it would probably work fine for most PG. given its speed and low BC/SD id probably keep it under 100 yards for big critters though.

-matt

I have a Handi Rifle in .300 Blackout and like it pretty well, but the trigger was awful. However, I contacted H&R and they sent a call tag for me to send it in to be lowered. Their repair facility was actually Wild West Guns in Alaska, who builds beautiful custom lever rifles. I got it back a month or so ago and it's a REALLY nice pull now! I was shocked...didn't cost me a penny. Here's the link from their website with the info: http://support.hr1871.com/General_I...e_trigger_pull_be,_and_can_I_have_it_lowered?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnT3006

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg