.44 Magnum Accident

Seriously doubt that it was steel core ammo.......bullets appear to be Hornady XTP hollow points. Also, I don't know of any company that has "surplus" .44 magnum ammo.

This photo has been circulating around the net for quite some time now, and pops up every now and again.........so much so that I would bet that it won't be too long before it shows up on Snopes!!
I think I've seen this photo on at least a dozen other hunting/shooting related sites......and each one has a different cause/caption.

Having said that, I don't think I would use any ammo that came from a communist/former soviet bloc country........the standards just aren't there, and I appreciate my life and eye sight too much to risk them for a few dollars.
I had to deal with the Chinese heparin issue (vials labled "heparin", but actually contained no heparin).....we now have drug shortages in this country, and we are looking at foreign sources to "fill the gap".....we are currently using heparin from India; it works, but I feel it is less reactive/effective than the stuff we used to get that was made in the States. However, it is what it is, and I do the best that I can with what I have to work with.......
We have an indoor pistol/rifle range a few miles from my home.....they banned the use of any Chinese made ammo (rifle and pistol) in their premises; seems that they have had more than a couple of incidents (they won't elaborate), and that's good enough for me...............

I would say that the ammo was hand loaded by someone that had no idea of how to load ammo.

I knew a highway patrolman that purchased a Colt Python, some Lee hand loader dies, powder, primer, and bullets. He then took the once fired cases that he had and measured the bullet from the crimp down to the base of it and then figured out how much powder would fit in the case with the bullet inserted. He then filled the cases and seated the bullets and headed to the range. As as testament to the strength of the Colt Python in .357mag it held together for 4 or 5 rounds before it came apart due to this persons lack of knowledge on how to reload a cartridge case.

The statue of limitations have ran out now since that happened way back in 1977 but I still will with hold his name, state, and trooper post. But it did happen, he came to me the next day and asked what might of happened. He is now in his 60's and retired from the highway patrol in that state. That Colt Python still hangs above his reloading bench as a reminder of how stupid and lucky that he was that day. Since that eventful day he has reloaded thousand if not millions of both pistol and rifle rounds with no more problems after the day.

I think who ever loaded this ammo confused the powder charge most pistol load for 44mag are in the 9gr range, but rifle loads for bolt, lever and semi auto are in the 20gr range, having a Mod29 S&W and a auto loader rifle in 44mag I did some homework. I remember sighting in my auto loader with pistol ammo at a 100yds when I did the proper rifle loads the same weight bullet shot 7" high,,also the pistol round had a hell of a time cycling the spent cartridge not so with the increase in powder charge JMTC,

My hunting loads for my 44 magnums usually have at least 20 grains of powder in them. My favorite is 27 grains of H110 with a 200 grain Speer hollow point up to 24 grains over a 240 grain Speer soft point. Also if you look at the manuals most of them have large doses of powder depending on the powders.

Now for a target load it will be down in the single digits for the powder. There is also no difference between a rifle round and a pistol round, there are however some pistol rounds that will not eject if you are shooting a semi automatic rifle so you have to go with the heaver charges. Even if you go to the store to purchase some 44 mag ammo there is nothing on the boxes to tell you to only shoot them in a rifle but the lighter round usually state that they are not for a semi auto rifle.

My hunting loads for my 44 magnums usually have at least 20 grains of powder in them. My favorite is 27 grains of H110 with a 200 grain Speer hollow point up to 24 grains over a 240 grain Speer soft point. Also if you look at the manuals most of them have large doses of powder depending on the powders.

Now for a target load it will be down in the single digits for the powder. There is also no difference between a rifle round and a pistol round, there are however some pistol rounds that will not eject if you are shooting a semi automatic rifle so you have to go with the heaver charges. Even if you go to the store to purchase some 44 mag ammo there is nothing on the boxes to tell you to only shoot them in a rifle but the lighter round usually state that they are not for a semi auto rifle.
I use 24Gr of IMR4227 and a 240Gr bullet,,H110 is impossible to find in Minnesota. I was told by someone on this Site that Win296 is re-packaged H110,,And yes I believe store Ammo is loaded for Pistol,

Win 296 and H110 are two different powders and while they are right next to each other in burn rates they can't be interchanged.

Anymore powder is where you find it. I gave up purchasing powder in 1lb cans about 10 years ago and will only purchase it in whatever large size just that it come in. I have even gotten with a couple of friends that reload and purchased it on line when we couldn't find it locally and purchased as much as we could in one shipment to soften the hazard shipping fee that UPS charges.

As for ammo for a pistol vrs rifle if you even look at reloading manuals that have data for a rifle and a pistol you will see that in most cases it is the same data that was listed for a pistol except you will see a slight increase in velocity with the rifle due to the longer barrel.

I usually consult more that one source when looking at new loads. It's strange that the Lyman manual shows max powder and no mention of rifle verses pistol, but the On-line hogden site clearly shows 2 different categories between rifle and pistol, I also weighed some pistol ammo from a box of 240gr Blazer and the powder weighed in at 9gr,,I suppose I could buy a box of Winchester or other brand and weigh the powder just to see if the blazer was light loaded for a reason but why waste the money,and you are right on about quantity powder purchasing and I buy large amounts but only when I'm satisfied with the rifles performance

From what I understand Blazer aluminum cased ammo is not what you would consider a high power pistol round and I can understand how it would cause problems in a semi auto rifle. I have friend that have had problems with it even cycling in a semi auto pistol and I have no doubt that when you pulled a bullet and there was only 9 grains of powder in it. I know that my practice rounds for my 44 mags that I only load them with 8 grains of Unique powder.

I don't load Pistol,yet, I guess I'll join a winter league

.44 Magnum Accident

First it was baby formula, then pet food, but now you should Watch out when buying anything from China, including bright, shiny ammunition.

A man entered a police department and had a S&W 629 (.44 Mag) that he wanted to dispose of after a mishap at the range. He said there was a loud bang when he tested his new ammo (Chinese made), and the gun smacked him in the forehead. Leaving a nice gash. When the tweety birds cleared from around His head, the pictures show what he saw. Bet he never uses Chinese made ammo again! Looks like when the round in the chamber went off, It also set off at least two other rounds in adjacent cylinders. I would have hated to been the one that pulled the trigger on That one!

A really good reason for not buying cheap ammunition!! Or anything from China. They are proving this statement to be true. You get what you pay for.

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php
Wow, that's why I don't buy cheap ammo, at all! Glad he survived in one piece.

.44 Magnum Accident

First it was baby formula, then pet food, but now you should Watch out when buying anything from China, including bright, shiny ammunition.

A man entered a police department and had a S&W 629 (.44 Mag) that he wanted to dispose of after a mishap at the range. He said there was a loud bang when he tested his new ammo (Chinese made), and the gun smacked him in the forehead. Leaving a nice gash. When the tweety birds cleared from around His head, the pictures show what he saw. Bet he never uses Chinese made ammo again! Looks like when the round in the chamber went off, It also set off at least two other rounds in adjacent cylinders. I would have hated to been the one that pulled the trigger on That one!

A really good reason for not buying cheap ammunition!! Or anything from China. They are proving this statement to be true. You get what you pay for.

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php
@africa hunting. Com
Jerome
Thanks for the info. He is lucky it only smacked him in the forehead. It could have taken his hand off and done far more damage to his good looks.
Bob

Another case of Covid bored membership thread dredge, another Golden Oldie from the Grooveyard of Forgotten favorites!

The United States did the same thing in the Vietnam war, except they loaded like one round in twenty with like C-4, so they the commies would keep using that ammo. They figured every round blowing up would give the game away. Who knows how many of charlie got an ak bolt through the jaw.
@Stevedcross
My father used to take the timed fuse out of grenades in Korea. The Chinese used to be quick enough to throw grenades back at aggressors. The Australians took the timed fuse out and threw the grenade complete with lever and pin. The Chinese would pick it up pull the pin and throw them back.
Problem was as soon as it left the hand it exploded. They got the message very quickly and never attempted to throw another back.
Bob

@Stevedcross
My father used to take the timed fuse out of grenades in Korea. The Chinese used to be quick enough to throw grenades back at aggressors. The Australians took the timed fuse out and threw the grenade complete with lever and pin. The Chinese would pick it up pull the pin and throw them back.
Problem was as soon as it left the hand it exploded. They got the message very quickly and never attempted to throw another back.
Bob
It seems like our allied countries in the sand-box wars re-learned shorting the delay also, in room to room battle.

It seems like our allied countries in the sand-box wars re-learned shorting the delay also, in room to room battle.
@Idmay375
I don't understand the term sandbox wars but I can assure you that it was no picnic. My father was at the battle of Kapyong as well. A battle the Australians were awarded the Presidential Citation. He fought alongside the 72nd tank division (a U.S. group giving support) during the battle .
We didn't learn to shorten the fuse it was taken out completely. Once the lever was released instant detonation.
Bob

@Idmay375
I don't understand the term sandbox wars but I can assure you that it was no picnic. My father was at the battle of Kapyong as well. A battle the Australians were awarded the Presidential Citation. He fought alongside the 72nd tank division (a U.S. group giving support) during the battle .
We didn't learn to shorten the fuse it was taken out completely. Once the lever was released instant detonation.
Bob
I was referring to the Iraq war/combat operations. I copied what you stated about the fuse. I was just saying that shortening the delay time is also still put into practice, to prevent throw-backs.
Believe me, I am fully aware the Korean War was a bloody and close combat war, house to house and in the hills & mountains. There were many heroic actions during that war.
I have even spent a little time in South Korea during the winter, in a tent, though not in combat, USMC.
My son was stationed on the DMZ, US Army, Camp Greaves. He deployed directly from there to Iraq.

I was referring to the Iraq war/combat operations. I copied what you stated about the fuse. I was just saying that shortening the delay time is also still put into practice, to prevent throw-backs.
Believe me, I am fully aware the Korean War was a bloody and close combat war, house to house and in the hills & mountains. There were many heroic actions during that war.
I have even spent a little time in South Korea during the winter, in a tent, though not in combat, USMC.
My son was stationed on the DMZ, US Army, Camp Greaves. He deployed directly from there to Iraq.
@Idmay375
Thank you for the clarification. All wars are just a waste ife LIVES. It's a pity we can't solve problems another r way, but alas that will never happen
Bob

We (US Military) use the term "Sand Box" to the Iraq & Afghanistan area of operations or war. I think we all have mutual respect for all (regardless of country) our brothers in arms.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pace88win__

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you