416 Woodleigh's?

I went through this this year myself. I wound up using the Cutting Edge Bullets Safari Raptor in my .458 Win Mag on my buff a little over a week ago. I used a Raptor on top of Hornady DGS rounds. The Raptor was absolutely devastating on the buff internally, and the shank passed through breaking bone on the way. I would recommend at least checking them out as they are very accurate and amazingly lethal. Good luck!

Guys, lurked for some time. Now a member and first post.
I agree with this guy's PH. My experience and that of several other PH's I have hunted with lead me down the path of only using premium controlled expansion bullets on buff. Barnes X, North Fork and Nosler Partitions have taken all of my buffalo. There is NO real advantage to solids backing up sorts. That's outdated info.
With the sectional density of a 416, a controlled expansion soft will penetrate into the chest cavity from the rear of a fleeing buffalo. Honestly, you should be aiming to break the pelvis or clip the spine to take out his rear legs if that's all you get for a second shot.
I only shoot solids when elephant hunting.
Last year outside Phalaborwa, a guy lost a buffalo initially shot with three solids on the hunting side of the elephant river. It unfortunately got across the river and had to be recovered by Nature Con. Bad for hunters.
Different strokes for different folks.

Attachments

• Screenshot (253).png
    Screenshot (253).png
    192.6 KB · Views: 129
  • Screenshot (254).png
    Screenshot (254).png
    208.6 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:
If you can get a copy of the Woodleigh reloading manual, read what Jeff MacDonald (My Woodleigh himself) and his "testers, which includes Mr Double rifle himself, Graham Wright" say about Woodleigh bullets. Simply put, load to his recommendations on impact on game velocity, and how many live animal testes they have done. No silly plywood, or ballistic jelly; real game.

I am currently going through the same process, swifts are hard to near impossible for me to get, but I was give some 350g Aframs. I am currently working with the 410g and 450 woodlieghs, and getting good results with both. The aim is to get to Mozambique this time next year for buffalo, so time yet to get the load sorted, currently 410g at 2350fps, and 450g woodleigh 2250fps, the 450 shots 1in lower, and I am still tuning the open sights on the 602.

I am currently going through the same process, swifts are hard to near impossible for me to get, but I was give some 350g Aframs. I am currently working with the 410g and 450 woodlieghs, and getting good results with both. The aim is to get to Mozambique this time next year for buffalo, so time yet to get the load sorted, currently 410g at 2350fps, and 450g woodleigh 2250fps, the 450 shots 1in lower, and I am still tuning the open sights on the 602.
it is hard to go wrong with either the 410gr or the 450gr woodleighs in 416.
If you are loading strictly for buff, go with the 450's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg