Reaction score
Website
www.skylineadventures.ca
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Member of
SCI Life Member, MLOA, DU, MWF, MTA
Well I knew this was going to happen last year and it is finally out. For the time being apparently it will only be available in the Alaskan model. what do you folks think about this cartridge and who is contemplating getting one.

I am thinking strongly about it...........it will be a lot cheaper to reload for than the Rigby and the availability of factory ammo will make it a bit more appealing than going back to a Taylor.

Skyline
Its a hell of a rifle and build the way I think working rifles should be built.

Two things to consider thought. As a hunter does the additional recoil of the 416 give you any real advantage over the 375
2nd, in the area you will be hunting, will you be able to get ammo should yours not make it through customs.
Although I think they are both great, I would still be very strongly favoring a 375 H&H over any of the others due to the availability of ammo and components in most countries you will ever hunt.
In my book there are two rifles I would travel anywhere in the world with, the .308 Win and the .375 H&H

Good luck
Ian

Ian..........very good points. On a personal note I have a .375 I have been using for about 30 years, and have had both the .416 Rigby and Taylor before as well as a .458 Win. mag. In addition to hopefully getting back to Africa at some point, I was planning on packing the .416 Ruger when I am guiding up north in polar bear country. The .375 is good, but a bit more punch wouldn't hurt. The ice bears and the tundra grizzlies do not fool around. I am not recoil sensitive and have been shooting big bores for years. I certainly understand where you are going with your comments though as not many people shoot the big bores very well.

You are of course right about ammo availability for the new Ruger cartridge. If it takes off....which most feel it will..........it could be a while before the ammo is readily available all over the map.

I like your two cartridge pics. Personally I would swap an 06 for the .308 for no other reason than I have shot one a great deal and ammo is also available everywhere.

Ian most north american hunter do not realize what pain in the ass it may be to find ammo on your side of the world not that it can't be found but in a timely fashion to continue hunting We had some 338 win mag ammo disappear & even rob klemp in kimberly had a hard time trying to get us some . If I was going to take an unusual cal I would call ahead & make sure its available . 416's are however one of my favorite cals & I think the rugers are a great value I may have to get one just for fun

416 Ruger

I built a .416 Ruger on a 98 Mauser action right after the .375 Ruger brass became available..Mine had a 20 inch barrel and getting 2400 FPS with a 400 gr. bullet was a snap and quite mild of pressure...I believe its every bit as good as my 416 Rem or a .416 Rigby and comes in a smaller package..

I built a .416 Ruger on a 98 Mauser action right after the .375 Ruger brass became available..Mine had a 20 inch barrel and getting 2400 FPS with a 400 gr. bullet was a snap and quite mild of pressure...I believe its every bit as good as my 416 Rem or a .416 Rigby and comes in a smaller package..

what about muzzle jump, and recoil?

I didn't notice any difference in muzzle jump and recoil as compared to my .416 Rem. with a 24 inch barrel. I sold the gun to a local doctor and he loves it. I liked it well enough that I circumsized my .416 Rem barrel to 20 inches and I have been a 26 inch barrel advocate for many years, now there is room in my agenda for both. The only advantage I see to the short tube is it has a heavy barrel and balances very well, and 99% of buffalo and most DG animals are shot at less than 100 yards.
As to the myth about the short tube being better in the thick stuff, that's just bunk, I never had any problems with the long barrel..I don't think anyone that has hunted would disagree if for no other reason as you never know where the interfering brush might be!! :) :) if its close it will interfere with a short tube for goodness sakes..Myth is rampant int he hunting field.

I agree Ray, Barrel length is a myth! I will take a long barreled gun anyday...for me it balances better. As far as 4 inches costing you a shot,...no way! Either a shot is available or it's not. And I also like a heavy gun too.

416 Ruger

I'm working on building a Mauser in .416 Ruger myself. Can you give me any advice as to adjusting the feed rails or magazine? My action is a 1917 made in Danzig. Thanks.

Erich I can't offer advice but will tell you that I love the 416 Ruger and have done quite well with it!

I successfully used my .416 Ruger in Namibia last year on Elephant, buff, hippo, and others. I love Ruger and how can you go wrong with a well made $800 elephant gun!
I think the "losing your ammo and needing to buy off the shelf" argument is pretty weak. The reason is most of us have custom or hand loads and off the shelf ammo would just not be that accurate anyway. Most anywhere if something goes wrong you can borrow a gun if things go bad.
Regards,
Philip

On the note of barrel length my favorite gun to hunt with has a 42" barrel and is flint ignition and people are amazed how well it carries and aims and even say that it's lighter than their short guns witch it is not but balance is the key any gun short or long will work if it's balanced.

I successfully used my .416 Ruger in Namibia last year on Elephant, buff, hippo, and others. I love Ruger and how can you go wrong with a well made $800 elephant gun!
I think the "losing your ammo and needing to buy off the shelf" argument is pretty weak. The reason is most of us have custom or hand loads and off the shelf ammo would just not be that accurate anyway. Most anywhere if something goes wrong you can borrow a gun if things go bad.
Regards,
Philip

I agree Philip!

416 ruger is a solid performer. You will not be disappointed especially with a 20 inch barrel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NickolasAr

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg