Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
BASA - Big Bore Association of South Africa
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique and Sweden
Any thoughts it seems like a good working rifle and the price seems good as well still need to get a quote in Rand though.

And reloading equipment is available for it now in RSA.

Oh yes and for those of you who has one what are the open sights like ?

Frederik,

I looked at this gun a year ago. It is a great gun, when you pick it up it just feels right on target. The only thing that stopped me from buying it was the ammo availabillty in South Africa. If there is reloading equipment available for it now where can you get a hold of it?

That is the exact reason why i didn't buy a .375 Ruger a year ago. The guy was nearly giving it away but concerns about finding ammo in Africa turned me away. I'll get a standard .375 instead.

I have to agree with Tom, ammo availability, (and it's like re-inventing the wheel) there is nothing wrong with the original. Longer stroke, but, we have been doing it for over half a century. I love the old tried and true calbers, the newest (as far as date they started making factory loads) is is a Remington Classic in 35 Whelen, the best gun and caliber I have ever owned, it's the one i will be taking to SA this June for plains game. And thanks for the clarification on the PAC hunts in the earlier post. Scott

35Bore, ok its a bit off topic but first that 35 whelen Its a super caliber for hunting bushveld in Africa any shots closer than 200 yards and its wham bang thank you mam, I am going to own of those in the future just love it.

Ok I'm in Africa already and if I reload for it over here no hassles plenty of 416 bullets to choose from just the initial start with cases and dies that's going to bite me a bit.
But in the same breath we are paying $2500-$3000 for a european standard CZ 550 in 416 Rigby now even if they double the price of the Ruger over here it will still come out cheaper and its a out of the box ready rifle. Its tough can handle scracthes and bad weather so for me its just perfect. I would have loved it to have 2" extra on the barrel but for backup in thick stuff its just perfect.

Can load it with 300 and 350gr when backing up for plainsgame leave it in the truck where it will bounce bang but wont have to worry about it its a working rifle. Only thing I'm wondering if the mag will accept the longer 450gr bullets cause I should be able to load them up for about 2150 fps in it. And yes before there is any comments I'm addicted to recoil !!! the shoving type not bite of the wheaterbys and RUM's

Frederik,

I looked at this gun a year ago. It is a great gun, when you pick it up it just feels right on target. The only thing that stopped me from buying it was the ammo availabillty in South Africa. If there is reloading equipment available for it now where can you get a hold of it?

I'm sure there is shops now that have some stock or they can order for you its going to be expensive first time but once you have it ????
And if I do struggle I will just ask if one of our American clients can bring some over not live rounds cases and dies there are many ways to skin a cat.

Frederik, If you reload, then the world is you oyster ( I just don't have the confidence to do it). Yeah, you could have your American client bring over the brass and you could load it however you wanted. For what you are wanting, weather resistant and something you don't mind if it gets scratched, it's a good idea. Again though, my opinion is based off of my ingnorance or lazyness for reloading. I guess the fact that factory ammo is loaded to some pretty strict tollerances, I really don't have to reload to get the accuracy I require, just have to pay the price, lol. Off the suject, I am also glad to see you realize the greatness of the 35 Whelen, I have shot at local range at 375 yrds, and 10 out of 12 shots hit a 6 inch metal gong, off of shooting sticks, love that rifle. Scott.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryellenD

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you