.416 Bullets: Woodleigh, Swift or North Fork?

Hi Matt, your closing sentence is a little surprising - would you mind expanding on why you recommend running A-Frames >2300f/s in 416? Not to be argumentative but Swift themselves say the following (I quote from their website):

Perhaps you're mixing experience of the regular 'rifle bullets' with the 'heavy rifle bullets' in Swift's terminology? The regular bullets seem to require a higher impact velocity.
Or I may be misunderstanding your full expansion with my idea of acceptable expansion (corresponding to the picture of expansion @ 1950f/s on their website), admittedly based on a bunch of pictures on the internet.

I have no experience (yet!) of A-Frame in DG but plan to change that in the next month, hence my interest!:)

keep in mind they are talking about "impact velocity" and i was talking about "muzzle velocity".

i recommend a muzzle velocity of 2300+ for Swift A-frames because impact velocities are much lower then muzzle velocities. a 400gr A-frame from a 416 traveling at 2300fps from the muzzle has an impact velocity of around 2188fps at 50 yards and around 2080fps at 100 yards. a 400gr A-frame from a 450-400 NE 3" traveling at 2050fps from the muzzle has an impact velocity of around 1945fps at 50 yards and around 1844fps at 100 yards. if were going by pictures id say the picture of the expanded bullet at 1950fps is marginal. my personal desired results would be reached with an impact velocity of around 2150fps or better.

of course its not like the A-frame wont still kill at lower velocities. it just wont expand as much or as fast as i would like it to. how much expansion you want is really a personal opinion because even a non-expanding solid will take game if put in the right place.

-matt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idahocougs89

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!