Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA, S. Africa
After getting some nice results from my M70 today, I moved on to my first loads with 400gr NF softs in my .416 Rigby CZ. The scope on my rifle has a max of 4X power, so I pull the target into 50 yards. Even then the cross hairs cover most of the bullseye. Here's the load:

103gr of H4831SC
400gr NF Softpoints
Fed 215
Hornady Brass.

Bullets seated to the front groove and crimped. Sorry for the fuzzy picture, the target was flopping around a bit in the very windy conditions. 3 shots and one big hole.

IMG_0059.jpg

Very nice. North Forks are my favorite bonded bullet.

Very nice. North Forks are my favorite bonded bullet.

Thanks Mike. I've read all kinds of good things about them. I just wish they would provide more load data. As you know they're quite expensive. I couldn't get anything close to acceptable when I tried them in my .375H&H, and got tired quickly of watching dollar bills go downrange. So I was pretty happy to find a good load the first time out.

Looks really good Phil.

That gun likes those bullets.

Now lets see you shoot some targets "off hand shots" at 20 yards.
Just looking out for your safety!

Happy practice.

Always encouraging when a gun we like wants to shoot the bullet we like right off the bat! If it groups double that at 100 yards it will still be a tight group. Good stuff!

Looks really good Phil.

That gun likes those bullets.

Now lets see you shoot some targets "off hand shots" at 20 yards.
Just looking out for your safety!

Happy practice.

And my shoulder too! I'm getting used to the recoil, but getting off the bench will be a good thing.

Always encouraging when a gun we like wants to shoot the bullet we like right off the bat! If it groups double that at 100 yards it will still be a tight group. Good stuff!

Especially if the bullet is a North Fork. Buggers are expensive! I don't mind spending that money as ammo no matter how expensive is still a small part of the safari cost. But load dev't can get to be awfully expensive if you get caught up in lots of different powders, primers and seating depth combinations.

I had also loaded up 104 and 105 grain loads. They grouped okay, certainly minute of beast worthy, but not like the lighter loads. I think I should be right in the 2500 fps range with the 26" barrel. Plenty for the range that rifle will be used at.

That is a bloody good result. I use 400 grain Hornady softs to get a rough idea of loads, but even those are exxie.

At the risk of coming across as boasting, I thought I'd post my results from shooting the 400gr NF softs again today. My first go around with these I started with 103gr of H4831SC but also shot 3 each at 104 and 105 grains. As the charge went up the grouping got wider. Today I went the other direction and shot 3 each at 101, 102 and again 103 grains. The 101 and 102 grain loads weren't bad, but that sweet spot still seems to be at 103 grains. Hopefully this comes across as intended, just trying to share info with my AH brethren. I know I've received lots of help and appreciate it so just trying to give a little back.

In order are the results at 50 yards from 101, 102 and 103 grains. BTW the little holes around the 101grain pic are from my son's .22.

IMG_0090.jpg IMG_0089.jpg IMG_0087.jpg

Looks like 103 grs may be the load. All are good though. One takes their "boasting" opportunities where one can find them. Boast away!

Glad I found this old thread.

I corresponded with the guys at North Fork regarding my desire to poke a Buffalo at short range and they thought the 430 SS was a great place to start with the Rigby case (but of course, the 37o and 400 work too).

I have IMR 4831, Reloader 22 and IMR 7828 as the closest to ideal powders for the heavier bullets in the Rigby. I will probably focus on the two slower powders if I start playing with the 430gr.

Just hope I hit on the sweet spot as quickly as you did in this case...those NF bullets are expensive to shoot a lot in load development!

430's loaded to potential are going to give you a thump. The 400's loaded as I did popped back at me stoutly.

Honestly, I don't think I would load either of those bullets to full potential in the Rigby.

I think 2,400 - 2,500 with the 400 is fine...2,300 - 2,400 with the 430.

I just don't see the need to go faster for shooting a Buff at short range?

Oh, and my rifle is pretty heavy. The 400gr at 2,150 that I have started with are quite comfortable offhand. After 15 you can feel that your shoulder has been pounded. But in no way uncomfortable. I have yet to shoot the rifle off the bench! :)

It weighs 10.5 lbs without scope (all my shooting so far) and 11.5 with the Nikon 1-4 African. Pussycat!!

Yep, that weight should handle it. That 103gr load of H4831 I would guess by the books was in the 2500fps range or so. Those 430's I'd bet would go end to end easily. Yes the NF's are expensive, but I've always found a good load pretty quickly. I think there are a few bullets that perform as well, but none any better.

I like that they have some lead in them and are a little shorter than the Barnes, in a given weight.

I worry a little about the stability of the long Barnes, inside dangerous game.

Splitting hairs...but hey, that's what we do!

Hi @PHOENIX PHIL and @tarbe , i was wondering if I could bring this thread up again as I am thinking about 430gn NF in the 416 Rigby. Tarbe, how did the 430gn go and what load?
Also wondering if anyone else may have some loads for the 416 Rigby with 430gn or even 450gn projectiles.

Hi @PHOENIX PHIL and @tarbe , i was wondering if I could bring this thread up again as I am thinking about 430gn NF in the 416 Rigby. Tarbe, how did the 430gn go and what load?
Also wondering if anyone else may have some loads for the 416 Rigby with 430gn or even 450gn projectiles.

I'd say it's overkill, but it won't hurt anything either. But more importantly, North Fork is closing shop. So if you're serious, you better order soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123winmarketing

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross