Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, Member of,,Caribou Hunt Club, Stock and Barrel Pistol Range
Hunted
Illinois,Wisconsin,Michigan Limpopo Province South Africa
I really enjoy shooting and experimenting with my 375HH, it's not a high priced high Value rifle maybe the Chevrolet of 375s (Whitworth/Zastava) but I think it's a great looking and the Zastava action is bulletproof. My standard load is a 300g Sierra Gameking that shoots 2 MOA at 200 meters at about 2583fps average which is fine. So lately I decided to see how fast and accurate I could push a 375 round. So I did a little research and decided I'd try some 235g Speer Hot Cores I went to their website and it provided me with a recipe which I thought was a bit aggressive but decided to give it a go so I loaded 78gr of RL15 and headed to the range, set-up the Chronograph and set up to shoot at a 100 meters the load is extremely accurate at 100 with 4 rounds touching. The surprise was the muzzle velocity a LOW of 2918fps and a HIGH of 2933fps with an AVERAGE of 2923fps WOW. I decided to see what kind of group I could get when I moved to 200meters but never got a chance to finish up, hopefully next week, I also have some 200gr Sierras and while I haven't come across any load data I have no doubt I could get over 3000fps. I think the 375HH caliber is probably the most versatile calibers available to hunters. Thanks for letting me share,Rob

A highly under rated caliber! It has a lot of versatility and is cheap to shoot.

Thanks for heads up Rob on the 375 bullets for sale.

Last edited:
Sounds like you have a great shooter Rob! My .375 is a Whitworth also, I have just over 100 rounds through it at this point and so far every load I have tried is shooting well. What scope/mounts are you using?

Sounds like you have a great shooter Rob! My .375 is a Whitworth also, I have just over 100 rounds through it at this point and so far every load I have tried is shooting well. What scope/mounts are you using?
While it may be just my folly my goal has always been to have a dual purpose rifle for Africa, so when I bought the rifle it came with a nice Burris 1x5 I messed with different scopes and decided to add a Nikon Pro staff 5 4.5x18 using Leupold QD mounts. the 1x5 is sighted in at a 100yds using the 300g Sierras and the 4.5x18 is sighted in at 200yds using the Speers, There are probably other bullets in the same weight as the Speers and the Sierras but I had no problem knocking the crap out of plains game using 165g Sierras in my 308, so I'll stick with them, there are not a lot of options in 235 (Barnes and Speer) and the Speers were cheaper to practice with here a pic of my setup using a Leupold which was switched for the Nikon

Attachments

• DSC00287.JPG
    7.9 MB · Views: 301
The one caliber all that hunt Africa must own.
Your right on there Pieter the longer I shoot mine the more I like it. wish I could find one with a Mannlicher stock

I believe in general most folks have never thought of using big bores with lighter bullets for PG and never realizing their full potential. Not surprised at all with your results @Rob404, have seen the same with my .375 and my .458B&M.

I had the thought last summer but got to busy to really get into it, but having this summer off I had the time to explore the calibers potential

Back in the 70's and 80's there was a Company by the name of Colt Sauer that built wonderful rifles with one of the nicest actions I've ever had the opportunity to shoot. I found one in 375 H&H at the local gun store and decided that it had to go home with me. For a large bore rifle I do have to say it's a pleasure to shoot; it's more of a big push than a sharp recoil. I took my first elk with it and was amazes at the accuracy it gives me. It's one rifle that will never leave my collection.

I have an Interarms Viscount in .30-06 (made by Zastava also); plain jane rifle, nothing fancy......but shoots after a fashion!!! I was looking for a Whitworth in .375 H&H a couple of years ago; found one on gunsamerica, but the individual selling the gun never replied to my inquiries......to the best of my knowledge, it never sold!:( Instead, I ended up with a Winchester model 70 in .375 H&H.....but it's still a .375!!!;)

I have an Interarms Viscount in .30-06 (made by Zastava also); plain jane rifle, nothing fancy......but shoots after a fashion!!! I was looking for a Whitworth in .375 H&H a couple of years ago; found one on gunsamerica, but the individual selling the gun never replied to my inquiries......to the best of my knowledge, it never sold!:( Instead, I ended up with a Winchester model 70 in .375 H&H.....but it's still a .375!!!;)
I think you did just fine with the Winchester

While it may be just my folly my goal has always been to have a dual purpose rifle for Africa, so when I bought the rifle it came with a nice Burris 1x5 I messed with different scopes and decided to add a Nikon Pro staff 5 4.5x18 using Leupold QD mounts. the 1x5 is sighted in at a 100yds using the 300g Sierras and the 4.5x18 is sighted in at 200yds using the Speers, There are probably other bullets in the same weight as the Speers and the Sierras but I had no problem knocking the crap out of plains game using 165g Sierras in my 308, so I'll stick with them, there are not a lot of options in 235 (Barnes and Speer) and the Speers were cheaper to practice with here a pic of my setup using a Leupold which was switched for the Nikon

I went with the Leupold QD mounts also and a VX3i 2.5-8 scope, really like it. I have been shooting a lot of the 270 grain blems that Midway has on clearance , I just ordered a few more hundred last night.

I went with the Leupold QD mounts also and a VX3i 2.5-8 scope, really like it. I have been shooting a lot of the 270 grain blems that Midway has on clearance , I just ordered a few more hundred last night.
The Leupolds don't look like much but they seem to hold real well

Leupold 2.8-8x36 is one of my favorite scopes , I am however not a fan of detachable rings and mounts .

I recently got a CZ 550 in 375 H&H, and can't wait to work out loads and to shoot it. I always wanted one, and finally got one.

I own a 375 H&H in CZ 550 and like it a lot. I have Leupold 2.5-8x 36mm scope too.

CZs are a bit of a Moose in Magnum actions but I take that extra round whenever I can get it. My CZ550 in 308 Mannlicher is EZ handling with a slick ass owl shit action

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marinayzi

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you